UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: joesgirl80 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4360  
Subject: POD vs Joint Owner WROS Date: 9/5/2012 8:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
1 POD Pass on Death
(aka TOD)

2 Joint Owner with Right of Survivorship

Regarding the 2 ways of titling a taxable brokerage account listed above, how is the balance accounted for regarding computing federal estate tax in each circumstance upon death of the "primary"? Are there web citations?

I apologize if this has been addressed previously. Thank you very much.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4078 of 4360
Subject: Re: POD vs Joint Owner WROS Date: 9/5/2012 8:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Regarding the 2 ways of titling a taxable brokerage account listed above, how is the balance accounted for regarding computing federal estate tax in each circumstance upon death of the "primary"?

Ask your estate planning attorney. You don't want to do this stuff without professional advice. If you want citations, a competent attorney should be happy to provide them.

--Peter

PS - I'm pretty sure both are 100% included in the estate.

Author: joesgirl80 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4088 of 4360
Subject: Re: POD vs Joint Owner WROS Date: 9/6/2012 5:20 PM
Peter: Thank you for taking the time and trouble to respond to my query. Yours was exactly the answer I expected! Of course I will ask my estate planning attorney about this mater, and of course I won't do this suff without professional advice. However, a little prior DD doesn't seem out of line.

I, like you, am pretty sure both are 100% included in the estate's inventory.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4094 of 4360
Subject: Re: POD vs Joint Owner WROS Date: 9/6/2012 10:17 PM
Just a guess here, but some thoughts--

If the heir is a spouse, they are essentially equivalent unless the estate is a large one. But then the account might be in a trust.

For capital gains purposes, the POD would allow all assets to be stepped up on date of death; joint ownership probably not.

Author: joesgirl80 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4095 of 4360
Subject: Re: POD vs Joint Owner WROS Date: 9/7/2012 7:40 PM
Paul, thanks for your input.

If the heir is a spouse Not...is offspring.

...unless the estate is a large one Yes, it is.

Good point re: the capital gains via POD.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement