UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 741769  
Subject: Political indoctrination and schools Date: 1/30/2013 8:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here we thought it was a 20th century thing. I've been readin Sal Khan's One World Schoolhouse, and apparently the present schooling system with schools broken into grades and learning into subjects started with the Prussians. A few quotes:

From Prussian philosopher Johann Gottlieb Fichte:

"Addresses to the German Nation (1807), Second Address : "The General Nature of the New Education".

"If you want to influence him at all, you must do more than merely talk to him ; you must fashion him, and fashion him in such a way that he simply cannot will otherwise than you wish him to will."

Another paraphrase of this is: "The schools must fashion the person, and fashion him in such a way that he simply cannot will otherwise than what you wish him to will."

Here's a celebrated teacher's take on this stuff.

John Taylor Gatto (1935 -) is a a retired American school teacher and author of several books on education. Named New York City Teacher of the Year in 1989, 1990, and 1991, and New York State Teacher of the Year in 1991, he is markedly critical of compulsory schooling. The quote in Khan's book:

"the whole system was built on the premise that isolation from first-hand information and fragmentation of the abstract information presentation by teachers would result in obedient and subordinate graduates."

also that class periods were put in place

"so that self-motivation to learn would be muted by ceaseless interupptions."

Khan's book is really interesting. And it gives me something to do when I wake up at 4 am

arrete - thanks to Dwdonhoff for the heads up on this book
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement