Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: EthylMercaptan Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 36143  
Subject: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/7/2013 7:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It seems like a lot of the games that have come out in the last few years have achievements, accomplishments, or something related. Really they seem pretty pointless other than bragging rights or as just another layer of complexity or as a way to have the developer lead the player to a new way to play the game. Regardless of how pointless ore ridiculous the achievements are, I feel compelled to get as many as humanly possible to the point of replaying certain parts of games that are tied to them. I spent about 90 minutes yesterday doing Sad Panda's Skyblazing event in SR3 because there were two achievements that I had missed the first time through.

What baffles me is when I look at the global achievements on Steam is that there are very few that have been hit over 50%. For instance Saints Row 3 has 83 achievements and only 4 of them have been hit by over 50% of the players. There is an achievement for finishing someone off with a crotch shot(testicular manslauter) with either melee or bullet; not 100 times, not 10 times, but once. Only 35% players have done this one time. Really? The game by default punches people in the jewels, how can 2/3 of the players not do it once?

So onto the question. How important are Achievements?
I nail everyone humanly possible.
If I am close I will think about it.
If they come my way that's alright.
Waste of time.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35010 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/7/2013 10:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I hate them because I love them so much.

BF3 has a pile and unlike previous incantations most are not simply about putting time in, they are about using specific gear. COD has even more specific achievements (unlocks, perks, rewards, goals, whatever). I just finished Mark of the Ninja (VERY GOOD btw) and will replay it because I didn't have some stuff figured out when I played the first time.

My biggest time sink has been ME3 Multiplayer. The unlocks there are massive. You unlock cool new weapons, awesome new character types, plus piles of other perks. It is highly addictive which when combined with a good game gives it even more of a hold on my gaming time. They also have a second layer of more traditional achievements which basically are displayed for everyone as "game cred" - as much as a video game can do that.

But yeah, I LOVE (and hate) them. They keep me playing way past when I should. For me though they do that mostly with multiplayer games because very rarely will I replay a single player game (MotN being an exception because it isn't a massive time commitment and I really want to see if I can do some of these things).

Simon

Author: IamL One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35011 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/8/2013 8:33 AM
Like many, I used to feel compelled to unlock as many achievements as I could. Having the largest gamerscore on xbox live always meant bragging rights among my friends (thankfully I never got so desperate that I bought games just for the achievements, unlike some others I know…). However, for the first half of last year I spent very little time playing games and the only game I did play during that stretch was xenoblade chronicles. Apparently this cured me of my mild achievement addiction because the only game I have played since then (still not playing very much) is demon souls and I have yet to feel compelled to do something in the game just to unlock an achievement.

If prompted to identify the reason for this change I would have to say that I simply realized I get more enjoyment out of playing games when I play the way I want to as opposed to playing in a manner that will unlock an achievement. That and I always hated when I spoiled part of the story by looking up the achievements or how to unlock them ahead of time - something I did quite often because I wanted to unlock as many as possible in one playthrough since it is quite uncommon for me to complete multiple playthroughs (metroid prime, majora’s mask, & portal 1 and 2 are the only ones that come to mind right now).

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35013 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/8/2013 11:19 AM
I'll try for quite a few of them, but usually only the ones that seem fun or interesting (such as a lot of the ones in the Portal games), but some are too tedious to bother with.

dsbrady

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35014 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/8/2013 11:39 AM
Recommendations: 1
I'll try for quite a few of them, but usually only the ones that seem fun or interesting (such as a lot of the ones in the Portal games), but some are too tedious to bother with.

I'm the same, however it has to be a game I like. Mind you this is with Steam so I don't get gamer points. But for a tittle I like I may see what is out there and if I can grab some more. If I don't like the game, well, I'm not playing it more.

I do like the global stats on Steam. I like when they have achievements that track how far you get in the game. Huh, so 75% who bought it actually played, 50% got through the tutorial, 25% made it to the half way point and 10% finished. No wonder so many games are front loaded.

Ford

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35015 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/8/2013 1:46 PM
I tend not to be obsessive about getting them all, but I will typically look the list over and see what's there, and get the ones that look fun to get. I'll purposefully attack those that would suit me and purposefully ignore those that I don't care about (e.g. multiplayer achievements on a game where I don't plan to play the multiplayer, like Assassin's Creed).

I've found that checking out the list beforehand often helps me not miss anything, as I (similar to IamL) tend to only do one playthrough of anything - too many other games to play to go and play a single title two or three or four times. The only exception (and I didn't even follow through) is something like Mass Effect where certain achievements gave you bonuses on future playthroughs with differently-built characters.

JT,
or playing the Kung Fu mod on Max Payne way back in the day

Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35016 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/8/2013 1:46 PM
If they don't come with some sort of bonus - weapon unlocks, leveling, increased attributes, etc - then whatever. I could literally not care less what achievements I'm earning. I couldn't even tell you what I've earned on any game with the 360 or PS3. Literally, I can't name one achievement by name for any game on any system that I've either earned or not earned if it doesn't come with some in-game perk.

- C -

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35020 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/8/2013 11:26 PM
I am not in college. I am employed. So...

I deliberately avoid learning about achievements. Quests are for finishing the game, while achievements are just empty calories that get you in a vicious cycle of wanting even more empty calories. No thanks. I choose to be healthy. There is probably more fun to be had playing another, new game than there is banging my head against some Herculean achievement that some junior programmers intentionally laid there just to goof on me. At least that's what I picture in my head when I struggle pass certain achievements. :-) Really... just 'cause it's there means it's doable??

--Rod

Author: csp Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35025 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/14/2013 11:50 AM
If completing an achievment means unlocking something cool and/or useful then I'll typically try to get it.

For non-reward achievements I typically don't worry abuot them ... unless I realize I'm close to getting the platinum trophy (or equivalent) then I'll go look to see what it will take to get that.

The only games where I've conciously worried about achievments were Demon Souls / Dark Souls. I have the platinum trophy for both of those on PS3. I'm not sure why I was so obsessed with getting those since they both required multiple play throughs & a lot of work, but both were hugely satisfying. IIRC both games required 3 play throughs to get the platinum (it took me 4 on Demon Souls since I screwed up) and at least in the case of Demon Souls - a ton of farming. At the end there, I remember every time I had a free minute, I'd just sit down and do 10 farming runs for Cloudstone Chunks. I think it took me something like 120 runs to finally get that last chunk

... BUT IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! :)

Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35030 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 1/15/2013 4:51 PM
When I was a kid, most of the games that held my attention were Infocom games. Since I had massive amounts of free time but limited money for new games, I played the same adventures over and over and over again. So I made them more interesting by inventing my own "achievements." For instance, I might try to play each of my games in one sitting without saving, in what you might call "hardcore" mode, since if you die you have to start over. Or I'd optimize my gameplay to win in the fewest moves possible.

Now that I have more money and less time, the appeal of this is greatly reduced. But if the game is really good, I'll try to hit most of the achievements. I have 98% on the campaign achievements for Starcraft II for instance, with the only ones I missed involving playing the rather dull minigame for a high score. I also go for tough achievements that sound interesting, like trying to drag the garden gnome through the entirety of Half-Life 2 episode 2.

I strongly dislike achievements of the "perfect play" variety, like playing the same Portal level over and over again to minimize the time.

Author: EthylMercaptan Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35324 of 36143
Subject: Re: Poll: Achievements Date: 6/8/2013 12:36 PM
I see that Origin is giving Origin Points for Achievements. I picked up 1000 points for doing all of the Achievements for ME3 which is worth about $12.50 if my math is correct. The most points for ME3 and all of the DLC is 1550(I think) which is $19.38.

That is one good thing about Origin that you can't do on Steam. Unless you hate achievements, then it is one more reason to hate Origin.

C2H5SH

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement