Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2392  
Subject: Poll: Average daily camping fee Date: 8/9/2012 11:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What's your average daily campground fee? Please average in free nights (at the homes of friends/relatives, in parking lots, boon docking wherever you can get away with it in industrial areas and wilderness areas) as well as paid nights.
< $10 ( < $300/month)
$10-20 ($300-600/mo)
$20-30 ($600-900/mo)
$30-50 ($900-1500/mo)
> $50 (> $1500/mo)

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2285 of 2392
Subject: Re: Poll: Average daily camping fee Date: 8/9/2012 12:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I try to keep camping fees down by using more public than private campgrounds. I try to remember to ask for AAA and Good Sam discounts when booking private CGs. I should investigate additional camping clubs to see if they might be worthwhile. Do any of you recommend particular clubs? When there's a discount for camping at a pvt CG for a whole week, I try to do that (usually they charge for 6 nights and give the 7th free, or for 7 and give an 8th free).

Now that we have America the Beautiful Senior passes (for over age 62, $10 one time fee--a fabulous deal), we can camp at most federal facilities for half price (except the concessionaire CGs), so will try to do more of that, including National Forests/Lakeshores/Seashores, Corps of Engineers (COE) and Bureau of land Management (BLM) sites as well as National Parks. In some NF and BLM areas, you can camp for free anywhere you find a safe spot (pulled off the road). I have only done that a couple of times. (I did that once when tent camping in Wyoming, and woke up surrounded by cattle!)

State Parks used to be a great deal, nice sites for $12-15/night when we got the RV back in 2007. Now it's more like $18-30. Plus some states make you buy a state camping pass on top of that, sometimes one pass per vehicle (Minnesota and Michigan come to mind--at least in MI you can buy a daily pass, but in MN we had to buy an annual pass to camp for 2 nights!)

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2289 of 2392
Subject: Re: Poll: Average daily camping fee Date: 1/15/2013 3:08 AM
Recommendations: 2
Do any of you recommend particular clubs?

When we bought our last motor home we received 6 months free of Passport America. We found this to be a savings for us so we signed up for 5 years because the rate was cheaper. We just signed up for another 5 years.

We use these campgrounds mostly for our travel days when we are trying to make time getting from one place to another. Most times the rate is half the regular rate. Most places won't take reservations and you usually have to pay cash. Some places the low rate is just for the first night.

You do have to read each campground carefully because they can have a lot of restrictions and you have to pay close attention to their website for campgrounds who drop out of the program. We found out the hard way this last fall that the iPhone app doesn't have the most up to date information and went to a campground that was no longer with Passport America. The full website does have the most up to date info.

Now that we have America the Beautiful Senior passes (for over age 62, $10 one time fee--a fabulous deal), we can camp at most federal facilities for half price.

Two years ago DH insisted on going to Yosemite so he could buy his Senior Pass ON his 62nd birthday so last November when we were visiting Yosemite I had to insist that my DH drive us to an entrance station so I could buy mine ON my birthday. It's saved us so much money on camping fees! All the campgrounds we've been have been 1/2 off with the Senior Pass BUT we were told that it depends on the park and not all the parks do the 1/2 off. The Senior Pass will also get you half off on ranger tours like the Firey Furnace hike in Arches National Park. That's the main reason I wanted one for myself.

Utahtea

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement