UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/22/2002 10:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
the day they arrive
just on a specific day of the week (e.g., only Tuesdays)
on or just after payday (paid more often than monthly)
once a month, no matter what the due date
a few days before the bills are due

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: RJMonski Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131535 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/22/2002 10:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I set up my billpay to pay them a day or two before they are do. No sooner. I want to keep as much interest income as I can !

Author: Jhereg Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131542 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/22/2002 11:36 PM
Recommendations: 1
Because my bills' due dates are staggered, I have two bill-paying days per month. I don't pay them when they arrive because I'd rather do a few at once. And payday has nothing to do with it because I budget with a cushion in my checking account. So none of the choices described my situation. I guess I'm just weird.

El

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131546 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/23/2002 1:30 AM
Greetings, Mark0Young, I had a bit of trouble voting in this poll because none of the answers felt close enough to mine. I regularly pay my bills on-line about 7-10 days before they are due. Choosing the answer "a few days before the bills are due" felt like it was far more casual about paying bills than I am and none of the other answers truly fit my situation, either.

xraymd

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131567 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/23/2002 11:08 AM
on or just after payday (paid more often than monthly)

Payment for all but 2 is automatic.

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131586 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/23/2002 2:10 PM
I voted "the day they arrive" because that's when I process them, which means data entering the amount into my PDA check register. If there's a bill I'll be paying via on-line bill payment I'll set that up as soon as it arrives for 5-7 days before the due date.

The bills that I have to pay via check are infrequent (quarterly or less) so I get to them about once a month.

-Megan

Author: 7karen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131588 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/23/2002 2:15 PM
If we have money, I pay the bills as soon as possible so they won't get lost or forgotten. If we are short on money, I pay them as soon as I can get the money. Nothing is automatic - until things stablilize I want us to be able to decide what gets left out if we can't pay everything.

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131595 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/23/2002 3:41 PM
I get paid every two weeks, and for the most part I pay the bills on payday. Occasionally a small bill will come in the mail a day or two after payday, and I might go ahead and pay it to get ti out of the way b/c waiting to the next payday would put it pretty close to the due date, but that doesn't happen terribly often.

I do NOT go in for the game of waiting until almost the last minute to pay my bills. My checking account gets only .25% interest, so there is virtually no advantage to waiting.

d

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131598 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/23/2002 4:15 PM
I voted for the day they arrive, with the exception of my CC bill. As soon as a bill arrives, I pay by CC if I can. This works for quite a few of my bills like phone, cell, cable, daughter's piano lesson. Then a few days before the CC is due, usually about 5, I pay the CC in full online via their website. Bills like gas and electric and others that don't allow cc payment, I pay by check when they come in.

Donna

Author: Lemsberg One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131646 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/24/2002 12:41 PM
Recommendations: 2
I hate paying bills.

Once I go to the postal receptacle (Can't say the "m" word or "Sammy the Dog" will go nuts. She loves to visit there, and she is laying at my feet, and I think she can read the screen from there... ;-) ) I take all the stuff for DW out and give it to her. Then I take all the finance related stuff, bank statements, IRA statements, credit card offers, bills, etc. and throw them on the desk.

DW gets paid twice a month and I get paid once a month. All our "pay on the 15th" bills are automatic withdrawal, except for one. I write that check out and put it by the computer with a post-it with the due date on it, and take it to the store to pay it the day before it is due. (That happens to be today!)

Then at the end of the month, I update quicken, balance the checkbook, put all the junk in the "to be shreaded" basket, put the statements in the "to be filed" stack, and pay the bills.

In the old days when I had a lot of CC debt, this cost me a few late charges. I soon learned that those CC companies didn't understand my bill paying scheme, and weren't my friends. :-0, but now this plan seems to work quite well.

This way, I only have the one headache per month , but since there is enough money to pay all the bills, it's a lot less of a headache. (I used to hate having to figure out who wasn't gettin paid this month, then when they called, telling them "I'm sorry, but your bill didn't get pulled out of the fish bowl this month, but you were put in the "really have to pay this time" bowl for next month." Again, they didn't understand my accounting practices, and proved they aren't my friends. <sigh>)

-Lemsberg

Author: CPAScott Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131653 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/24/2002 1:30 PM
I pay my bills semi-monthly -- a few on the fifteenth of the month and most on the thirtieth. It might take an extra payment the first time to month you switch to this kind of payment run to ensure you don't miss a payment date, but I find it easier to ensure I've paid all the bills, and to spend less time doing so.

About 80% of my bills are paid online (only rent, electric, and two student loan bills must be paid by check).

CPAScott

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131678 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/24/2002 5:25 PM
Now..let me state...
My answer is really

"On or just after payday, which is monthly,
except for special cases such as my phone bill which is announced in email on line then paid automatically but i write it in the checkbook when the email alert comes....."

with the exception that any cc's that have a balance (interest grows) I try to pay as early as I can.

joycets

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131682 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/24/2002 5:29 PM
i will note (after reading dianakalt on "the game of waiting until almost the last minute. to pay...")

I used to do this. I used to have a checking account that charged a fee if your average balance was not $750 for a the month. So I tried to keep money in there. Now I changed to a No Fee account,
that doesn't let me use tellers more than twice a month
(awwww)
and I'm not afraid to move money into the efund or whereever I want whenever I want. It is very freeing after the years of cutting it close.

joycets

Author: kekokko Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131717 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/24/2002 9:12 PM
I pay all my bills *on* payday with the CU's bill pay service. Then I watch the money come in thru direct-deposit around 9:00am and then watch most of it go right back out at about 9:30. Kinda packs a punch that lets me know that even though $900 every two weeks might seem like a lot (Well, compared to last year's babysitting wage budget), it's not really *my* money yet................

-k

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131850 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: Bill Handling Style Date: 6/25/2002 9:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
Question: when do you handle the majority of your bills?

I'm in catch up mode currently, and haven't yet read ahead to the next poll. I interpret "handle" to mean process, not necessarily pay. I schedule bills for online payment usually the day they arrive. (When busy or stressed, the pile builds up; I deal with the pile as soon as I'm de-stressed enough to do so. In bad weeks, this could be 3 to 5 days later.)

My credit union allows me to schedule bills for future payment. So, when State Farm sends me the car insurance bill 40 days before it is due, that same day I can schedule an electronic payment for 3 banking business days before it is due. This is the best of both worlds; it's off my task list and recorded as gone from checking, but I earn interest on the float.

Before online bill payment, I did the same thing with checks and envelopes. Write the check, date it the day it needs to be mailed. Record in checkbook and in Quicken. Seal in envelope with remittance stub. Write mailing date where the stamp goes. Every morning check for bills to mail today; if any are current, put on stamps and mail on my way to work. I still have to do that for the water bill, because it's from the town and online bill pay won't pay governmental entities. (Why? I don't know.)

Patzer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement