Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71051  
Subject: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 9:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Given the bankruptcy of Chrysler and the probable bankruptcy of GM:
I will continue to buy a new GM or Chrysler as always
I'm not sure but am leaning against buying from GM or Chrysler
I will never buy an automobile owned by the government
I'm not sure but am leaning toward buying from GM or Chrysler
Ford is safer. I'm switching to Ford

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62203 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 9:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
How about "I will buy the car that fits my needs best"? Some factors may be look, comfort, price and features.

PSU

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62204 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 9:22 AM
How about "I will buy the car that fits my needs best"? Some factors may be look, comfort, price and feature

Couldn't agree more. If Obama gets his way, choices will be fewer.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62205 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 9:36 AM
Recommendations: 13

I prefer this board to be non-political. There are plenty of boards for this type of posts.

That said, I don't see why you are laying any blame on Obama. The manufacturers were in financial trouble way before he took office. They may or may not disappear under government assistance. They definitely would be in bankruptcy now if it wasn't for that assistance. My crystal ball doesn't tell me that this is or is not the proper course.

PSU

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62209 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 10:01 AM
Recommendations: 3
That said, I don't see why you are laying any blame on Obama. The manufacturers were in financial trouble way before he took office.

Yes they were in trouble before Obama took office and they should have entered Chapter 11 a few years ago. They gave in to unions too much and the chickens are now coming home to roost.

The government (Obama) wants raw power to control which cars GM should make. (green and unsafe). He says he doesn't want to make decisions for GM or Chrysler. Yeah right. He fired its CEO, he told Chrysler's secured bond holders to take a hike and gave the union and the government more of a stake than the bond holders who had more at risk than either party.

Government (Obama) should stay out of the automobile business. He lusts for power and will tell GM what cars to make. (Smaller and less safe.) That you can't see that reveals a certain level of naivete.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62211 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 10:03 AM
Recommendations: 1
I prefer this board to be non-political.

Who made you the board monitor? If you really feel this way, you should not have responded to a political comment. Not buying your, "that said, political blah, blah, blah."

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62212 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 10:04 AM
Recommendations: 4
Government (Obama) should stay out of the automobile business. He lusts for power and will tell GM what cars to make. (Smaller and less safe.) That you can't see that reveals a certain level of naivete.

That you are ranting and raving as you are reveals a certain level of partinship.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62215 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 10:16 AM
Who made you the board monitor?

I didn't claim to be board monitor. I gave my preference that it not become PA lite. You have a different idea on how this board should function. With that new label beside your name, you may not understand what regulars typically like to read on this board.

I will bow out of the political aspect of this discussion. It is apparent to me that you continue to want to direct this board down that path. Hopefully, a lack of future responses will allow the board to function as it has in the past - a place to discuss car buying and maintenance issues.

PSU

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62216 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 10:18 AM
Other: Too early to tell.

I will make my buying decisions based on what's on the market when I go shopping for my next car. By the time that happens, we should know how the current GM and Chryslter situations get resolved and what kind of cars they're building (if any) in the brave new world.

Patzer

Author: mmrmnhrm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62218 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 12:25 PM
Recommendations: 28
...which cars GM should make. (green and unsafe)

Where is it written that green must equal unsafe?

PS. Take your stinky political wankerage to Political Asylum. This board is about cars, hence the title Buying and Maintaining a CAR

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62219 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 12:28 PM
Government has inserted itself into the automobile industry. This effects buying a car and is a legitmate topic on this board. If you don't like it, ignore it. The green cars will be less safe. Bank on it.

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62221 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 1:38 PM
Recommendations: 8
The green cars will be less safe. Bank on it.

This was repeated ad nauseum by right-wing, pro-business types thirty years ago when cars were downsized for strictly fuel-economy. The "less safe" mantra was blown out of the water years ago when fatality statistics in this country failed to show any correlation between downsizing cars and changes in fatalities.

The general downturn over the years continues, even for countries that have been driving small cars anyway. The U.S. automakers did their major downsizing starting in 1977 and also, no increases in fatalities.

Here's one chart, several other are available that show this:

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/07_23/tim...

Duck

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62222 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 1:42 PM
You libs have zero, nada common sense. Smaller cars are less safe. Duh!

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/106748/arti...

Author: 3BeeJay3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62223 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 2:54 PM
Recommendations: 73
OK Josh-

You only joined this site about 3 weeks ago and to this date, of your last 50 posts, over 40 of them have been on the ‘Conservative Fools’ board. It’s very clear that you have a personal agenda and are obsessed with the ‘Obama is the Devil etc.’ dogma that the supposed ‘conservatives’(read neo-nazis) continue to spew forth since they lost the election.
I certainly don’t give a crap what kind of silly nonsense you want puke out on the political boards, but don’t bring that crap over here.
Obama won a fair election – get over it.
Also, learn to accept the fact that many of the problems being dealt with were created under GWB and that the current admin is doing the drastic steps required to fix a huge problem. You sound like the moron that complains about getting wet from a firefighters hose, putting out a fire that your buddies helped to get started.

"Geesh. You can't even distinguish between an informed opinion and a rant or rave. Is that your best shot?"

PSU respectfully asked you to keep the politics out of it and you disrespectfully attacked him with a superb demonstration of your ignorance and poor judgement.
If you want to slam someone about their abilities to distinguish between ‘informed opinion’ and ‘ranting’, make sure you know the difference yourself. It’s clear from your posts that clear, reasonable, rational thinking isn’t your strong suit.

"You libs have zero, nada common sense. Smaller cars are less safe. Duh!"

Again, another ill informed personal attack, this time on Ducky for simply, respectfully showing you some valid facts.

I’m not the moderator of this board, or any other on this site and have no intentions in that regard. However, if you continue to carry on in this manner, I will be happy to personally FA every offensive & political post you make on this board. Got it? I've been on this site for about 9 years and have never FA'd a post. For you I'll make an exception.

You’ve been warned.

BJ

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62229 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 7:34 PM
I'm happy with my Acura. When they get around to making a small hybrid, I'll get one of those.

As far as the above, I could care less about a random person's opinion on Obama when it comes to buying my next car, but thanks for playing anyhow.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62230 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 7:37 PM
Recommendations: 4
I'm a small person. I live in a city. I value turning radius, ability to fit into small parking spots, gas mileage, and a car that fits my body size. I don't like big honking cars as they make me feel like I'm riding an elephant. Love, love, LOVE small cars.

Author: orinjade Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62233 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/26/2009 8:02 PM
I'm a small person. I live in a city. I value turning radius, ability to fit into small parking spots, gas mileage, and a car that fits my body size. I don't like big honking cars as they make me feel like I'm riding an elephant. Love, love, LOVE small cars.

I am not a small person. I don't live in a city.

However, I grew up in a big city with my father owning a small car, and I love small cars too. Today, I drive a Mini Cooper for some of the same reasons that Gingko states - superb handling and manoeuverability, decent fuel mileage and a sense that the car and I are one. I have no need (as the infamous Hummer ads used to depict) to display any agressiveness via my car.

Orinjade

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62238 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/27/2009 8:04 AM
None of the above.

I will check out reliability ratings from Consumer Reports as I have done with my last four vehicles before buying.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62239 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/27/2009 10:09 AM
obligatory LBYM post

Where is the -
When I drive my current 10 and 19 year old vehicles into the ground, I will buy another 10 year old Subaru or Toyota from a private owner
option.

peace & does not apply
t

ps. also missing the *in my pants* option

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62240 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/27/2009 10:14 AM

I'm pretty good sized, 6-4, My wife is 6-2. Our kids are still young, but as you can imagine, they are (much) taller than average. So we have a big ol' 4WD truck. However, when it is just me I love tooling around in our old Camry. Big cars are convenient for us, but they are a pain. They'd be a real pain in the city. We live in the overly car friendly burbs.

Author: madamhusker1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62246 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/27/2009 1:12 PM
Obama won a fair election – get over it.

+ ACORN

+ valid birth certificate

.... enough said ....

MH 1

Author: MrsPrimm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62260 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/29/2009 12:58 AM

Likewise (apart from the small person bit - I'm 5'8" and a girl!)

My 1965 Datsun can drive around the speed bumps in my work car park. Gotta love that. Although I've been yelled at a few times by men driving wanky SUVs when I do so. Not really sure why. Jealous, maybe?

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62261 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/29/2009 5:09 AM
My 1965 Datsun can drive around the speed bumps in my work car park. Gotta love that. Although I've been yelled at a few times by men driving wanky SUVs when I do so. Not really sure why. Jealous, maybe?

Er... maybe you were cutting them off as you drove back into the driving lane?

Author: MrsPrimm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62270 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/29/2009 11:45 PM
Er... maybe you were cutting them off as you drove back into the driving lane?

Um, nope. Single lane, one way in our carpark. And they were parked at the time - yep, all of them.

Jealousy, definitely.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62280 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/31/2009 11:03 PM
"Government (Obama) should stay out of the automobile business. He lusts for power and will tell GM what cars to make. (Smaller and less safe.) That you can't see that reveals a certain level of naivete."

I am no fan of Obama by any stretch and did not vote for him. Having said that, he can't possibly do any worse than the CEO's, senior management and the UAW union leadership have done to date. They have collectively run these companies into the ground and screwed the auto workers along the way.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62281 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 5/31/2009 11:11 PM
"You’ve been warned."

If there's going to be a barney, can I hold your coats?

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62282 of 71051
Subject: Re: Poll: Buying Decisions Changed? Date: 6/1/2009 7:33 AM
I am no fan of Obama by any stretch and did not vote for him. Having said that, he can't possibly do any worse than the CEO's, senior management and the UAW union leadership have done to date.

Then the companies should be allowed to fail. This is healthy. Let capitalism work and it works just fine. The problems are always when government starts to meddle and tinker. Look at what caused the financial crisis. It wasn't the free market; it was government meddling. Government was (as is) the problem, not the solution.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement