UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884980  
Subject: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 1:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A couple of weeks ago I went to my more or less annual optometrist checkup and was sent to an ophthalmologist for cataract consultation. I just got back from my exam for cataract surgery, which turns out to be pricier and less covered by insurance than I expected: $2245 for the doctor + surgery center (I think the anesthetist is extra) for ONE eye AFTER health insurance pays its wee little portion. (I note that it would be only $1500 per eye if I didn't have astigmatism.) That's the out-of-pocket just for surgery. My co-pay for today's appointment was $45.

Meanwhile, I've heard if I wait 2 years till I'm 65, Medicare will cover almost the entire cost of cataract sugary and lens replacement--is this even true?

So...anyone care to share their before or post-Medicare cataract surgery cost/experience?

And...should I wait till I'm 65 for the surgery (I'm 63)? It's only really bad in one eye. It's hard to read paper so I mostly read online where I can adjust the brightness and magnify the text (not a big deal). Distance is a bigger deal--I can't read road signs from as far away as I used to and both darkness and glare are quite bothersome driving at night--I handle these by seldom driving to new places or at night. I do miss bird-watching.
Don't be such a cheapskate--fix those cataracts now.
Don't stick Medicare--fix those cataracts now at your own expense.
Medicare probably won't cover this in 2 years--have surgery now.
Save your e-fund and have surgery courtesy of Medicare at 65.
Postpone until the problem gets worse...maybe till age 65.

Click here to see results so far.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement