UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884986  
Subject: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 1:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A couple of weeks ago I went to my more or less annual optometrist checkup and was sent to an ophthalmologist for cataract consultation. I just got back from my exam for cataract surgery, which turns out to be pricier and less covered by insurance than I expected: $2245 for the doctor + surgery center (I think the anesthetist is extra) for ONE eye AFTER health insurance pays its wee little portion. (I note that it would be only $1500 per eye if I didn't have astigmatism.) That's the out-of-pocket just for surgery. My co-pay for today's appointment was $45.

Meanwhile, I've heard if I wait 2 years till I'm 65, Medicare will cover almost the entire cost of cataract sugary and lens replacement--is this even true?

So...anyone care to share their before or post-Medicare cataract surgery cost/experience?

And...should I wait till I'm 65 for the surgery (I'm 63)? It's only really bad in one eye. It's hard to read paper so I mostly read online where I can adjust the brightness and magnify the text (not a big deal). Distance is a bigger deal--I can't read road signs from as far away as I used to and both darkness and glare are quite bothersome driving at night--I handle these by seldom driving to new places or at night. I do miss bird-watching.
Don't be such a cheapskate--fix those cataracts now.
Don't stick Medicare--fix those cataracts now at your own expense.
Medicare probably won't cover this in 2 years--have surgery now.
Save your e-fund and have surgery courtesy of Medicare at 65.
Postpone until the problem gets worse...maybe till age 65.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867893 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 1:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You didn't list one other option: Do one eye now and wait on the other.

Since your vision is really bad in one eye, I would vote for doing it now. After it is done, you can decide on the other eye.

If it is really bad in one eye, it could cause you a car accident or fall, which would be more expensive than the surgery.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867894 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 1:38 PM
I'm with the other poster, and if you can afford it I'd at least get the worst eye done now. Not to be morbid, but there's no guarantee you'll make it to 65 - if these were the last years of your life would you want to waste them not being able to see? Also a question to ask your eye doctor is if putting off surgery can make the outcome when you do have surgery not as successful - such as if having cateracts put a strain on eyes.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867895 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 2:04 PM
Recommendations: 7
Do both now. Waiting to save money is unwise at best. I had cataract surgery on both eyes in my early 50s. Once you have them, they will get worse fairly fast. Really, find a great doc and pay the extra for multi focal lenses.

Author: bthomas15 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867896 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 2:06 PM
I was much younger than 65 when I had my first (and so far only) cataract surgery in one eye. The cataract developed rapidly as a result of another eye operation I had about 6 months previously. I knew this would probably happen.

Like you, it was really only bad in one eye. I didn't hesitate to have the surgery, since being able to read is extremely important to me. It was covered by my insurance somewhat. I don't remember the exact numbers but it seems like I paid about $1000 out of pocket.

Do it now if you like to read! The recovery time is really quick...

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867897 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 2:09 PM
My experience is your vision will be much improved after the surgery. Meanwhile your condition can worsen making getting the lens right even more difficult.

It's mostly an economic decision. You will have to decide for yourself.

But you may also want to ask about the quality of your health insurance coverage. It sounds as if you have light coverage, which means a serious need for medical care could bankrupt you. Shopping for better coverage might be a good idea.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867898 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 2:26 PM
My cousin waited until she was 65, but it was less than a year.

I have had cataracts in both eyes for almost 10 years, but their effects are only now starting to be noticeable. Every time I get my eyes checked--so far in 3 cities, 2 states, I get told to wait.

So do what you want to do. If one eye is bad now, do it and hold off on the other. Or not. You have an idea of what's best for you.

Chili

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867911 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 3:54 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments; they're helpful and I appreciate them all. Everyone feel free to weigh in.

But you may also want to ask about the quality of your health insurance coverage.

My husband is an employee of the state of South Carolina--it is what it is. If we could qualify for individual insurance (big IF), I expect it would be unaffordable at age 63; i.e., paying out of pocket for cataracts would be cheaper!

I believe vkg mentioned doing one eye--that was my plan when I walked out of the doctor's office. I scheduled it for my husband's Christmas break--I prefer to have him accompany me, and the doc only does these surgeries on a bad day of the week for DH's teaching schedule. I have cataracts in the other eye as well, but not as bad a type or as extensive an area.

Another financial factor: should I postpone to 2013 when DH is retiring and our income will be less? Doing both means the possibility of having enough medical expenses to actually have a tax deduction (we have few deductions...no mortgage, no children at home or education expenses, no self-employment). I have to repeat the pre-surgery eye exam anyway as my eyes are dry and they need to be well moisturized for several days for best accuracy.

What if I postpone the surgery and have a car accident. Could I be found negligent for not fixing a cataract? And if fixing a cataract is so necessary, why isn't it properly covered by health insurance?! Well, according to the opthalmologist's office, the removal of the cataract IS covered, but most of the cost is the semi-fancy lens replacement.

Someone suggested the poly-distance lens, but apparently I'm not a good candidate for it based on my test results, even though my vision is bad at all distances. I don;t hate wearing glasses, so not an issue for me (I just hate the expense of buying glasses!).

=alstro, becoming more of a tightwad as retirement looms...will it work as well in real life as on paper? stay tuned!

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867914 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 4:00 PM
Recommendations: 8
What if I postpone the surgery and have a car accident. Could I be found negligent for not fixing a cataract?

Negligent ? How about if you kill or disable someone ? How about a family member ?

This isn't like the sauna discussion you know.

BTW, hearing aids usually aren't covered by insurance, either. Just because someone else won't pay for something doesn't make it a less important choice.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867915 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 4:12 PM
Another financial factor: should I postpone to 2013 when DH is retiring and our income will be less? Doing both means the possibility of having enough medical expenses to actually have a tax deduction (we have few deductions...no mortgage, no children at home or education expenses, no self-employment). I have to repeat the pre-surgery eye exam anyway as my eyes are dry and they need to be well moisturized for several days for best accuracy.

When is your DH retiring? I assume not January 1. I assume he has a flexible medical spending account. Enrollment for many people is this month. You could put away enough in the account for next year. The nice thing about the accounts is that you can claim the whole benefit in the first month. Then if you sever employment before the end of the year, you are not required to pay back the benefits that exceeded your contributions.

PSU

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867928 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 5:14 PM
What if I postpone the surgery and have a car accident. Could I be found negligent for not fixing a cataract?

Yes, if you can't see well and you're driving anyway. "I have cataracts" is not going to be a viable excuse, since driving is a priviledge and not a right. A bigger question is whether your car insurance company would sue you so they don't have to pay for an accident you cause, since right now you'd probably be unable to pass the vision test of the driver's license.

And if fixing a cataract is so necessary, why isn't it properly covered by health insurance?!

Typically things that people have a high likihood of happening (such as cataracts - but also things like dental disease) but are affordable for the average person to self-pay to fix aren't covered fully by insurance - you would've been paying higher premiums all along if they were. It's similar to say eye glasses - they're important if you need them, but vision plans rarely cover them at 100% soup-to-nuts.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867933 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 5:20 PM
since right now you'd probably be unable to pass the vision test of the driver's license.

This is unlikely true. If it was true, the doctor would have been required to report the condition to the DMV and the patient.

MIL has macular degeneration. Her vision is borderline. Her doctor has already told her that given California law, she can only drive within 5 miles to areas that are familiar.

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867945 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 6:13 PM
My husband is an employee of the state of South Carolina--it is what it is.

Do you have the option of a flexible spending account? A lot of places don't advertise it very well. It's money that's taken out of your paycheck each month and is saved in a health account tax free. You can spend it all as soon as the period starts (usually January 1) but you have to use it all before the end of the period (usually March of the next year) or you will lose it. The benefit is that you save on the taxes that would normally be taken out of that money.

Another financial factor: should I postpone to 2013 when DH is retiring and our income will be less? Doing both means the possibility of having enough medical expenses to actually have a tax deduction

It's very hard to manage a medical tax deduction. First, you have to itemize, so you lose your standard deduction. Secondly, you can only deduct any medical expenses that are higher than 7.5% of your income. So if you make $10,000 and spend $1000 on medical expenses, you can only deduct $250 (because the first $750 was the 7.5% limit you had to get over). Since you have few deductions and don't generally itemize, losing the standard deduction will probably hurt you more than you would gain from the medical tax deduction. I was unemployed for 8 months and had serious medical costs, but I still couldn't make the numbers work because of losing the standard deduction. At best, I might have come out even. If you're going to consider putting off the surgery until retirement, be sure to run the numbers to see if the tax deduction helps in a significant way.

I would also double check with your insurance company about coverage. The doctor may be right but in my experience, doctors aren't always experts on medical coverage. Call the insurance company directly and take detailed notes.

Karen

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867950 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 6:48 PM
Negligent ? How about if you kill or disable someone ? How about a family member ?

heh. OK. good point. I guess I pictured a fender-bender. My vision isn't bad in that way--it's a problem in the dark (I don't drive then) and reading, cooking, bird-watching, sewing. I have managed parallel parking lately--which I was never great at--with no problem.

I drove for 3 hours straight a couple of weeks ago, and it was fine...interstate, no traffic, familiar with the road, although first time I drove that car. I'm retired and live in a mid-sized town where I avoid driving at rush hour, such as it is. I don't even drive every day. And when I do, it's usually 10 minutes or so each way, rarely as long as half an hour. I don't put a lot of miles on my car, and when DH and I are together, he usually drives--and now, he always does. I no longer hop up and offer to drive people--I let them offer.

I've been growing this cataract for a few years. The problem isn't sudden, and the ophthalmologist didn't say it was urgent--he thought it was fine to postpone treatment for a few months.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867951 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 6:55 PM
When is your DH retiring?

At the end of spring semester in May.

I assume he has a flexible medical spending account. Enrollment for many people is this month.

Us too, takes effect in January.

You could put away enough in the account for next year. The nice thing about the accounts is that you can claim the whole benefit in the first month. Then if you sever employment before the end of the year, you are not required to pay back the benefits that exceeded your contributions.

Great suggestion, but I'm confused--how do you spend more from the account than is in it?

January would be a good time for me to have this surgery as a bird-watching friend is planning to visit in Feb/March. It would be nice if I could see what she's excited about!

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867952 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 6:58 PM
Call the insurance company directly and take detailed notes.

Excellent, thanks.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867954 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 7:17 PM
You could put away enough in the account for next year. The nice thing about the accounts is that you can claim the whole benefit in the first month. Then if you sever employment before the end of the year, you are not required to pay back the benefits that exceeded your contributions.

Great suggestion, but I'm confused--how do you spend more from the account than is in it?

The year that you terminate employment. The total balance committed to be contributed can be spent. If employment ends before the contributions are complete, you are not required to repay the balance.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867968 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/8/2012 11:01 PM
Recommendations: 2
Most people do one eye at a time. So they can get around reasonably well with one while the other one heals.

Doctors usually want to wait months before they fit you for glasses once the eye is operated on. You probably want to do the second one as soon as the doctor will allow. Then you get your glasses and you are essentially done.

For me the implants were a major improvement. I had serious astigmatism. Those digital alarm clocks with 1" high time figures. I could not read one of those without my glasses before.

Now my distance vision is near perfect. So much so that the opticians were surprised that I have the same prescription in both eyes. I still need glasses to read fine print like a newspaper or telephone directory. (Good lighting helps too. Reading in dim light is still difficult.) But letters on signs or on the tv screen are easily read without glasses.

The improvement is remarkable.

Author: Jennlee222 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867977 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 7:43 AM
Vision is priceless. At least do the bad eye now. Especially if you intend to keep driving.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867981 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 8:10 AM
----------------------
The year that you terminate employment. The total balance committed to be contributed can be spent. If employment ends before the contributions are complete, you are not required to repay the balance.

Sorry, sorry but I am STILL confused...where does the money come from to pay my doctor if it isn't in the account? Do we pay the medical bills as usual and then try to get reimbursed from an account with insufficient money in it?? And doesn't DH owe the MSA what he said he'd put into it, even if he retires? Do they just take the remainder owed out of his final paycheck? Or does some amorphous "they" pay our bills?--that can't be right. What am I not seeing?

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867982 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 9:11 AM
Recommendations: 3
Sorry, sorry but I am STILL confused...where does the money come from to pay my doctor if it isn't in the account? Do we pay the medical bills as usual and then try to get reimbursed from an account with insufficient money in it?? And doesn't DH owe the MSA what he said he'd put into it, even if he retires? Do they just take the remainder owed out of his final paycheck? Or does some amorphous "they" pay our bills?--that can't be right. What am I not seeing?

This is the way it works for me. I have a certain amount withdrawn from each paycheck, which does into my flexible spending account. I don't have direct access to this account - it's not like a regular bank account. The only way to get money in or out of it is through the FSA.

When you have a medical expense, you send in copies of your receipts and a form you fill out. If the expense is approved (the expenses that are eligible are limited to certain things), you get a check in the mail for reimbursement. (I've heard some people can pay for these things directly under some kind of debit card system but our system strictly uses reimbursement checks.)

The account is, in theory, fully funded on day one. Even though you're paying $100 per month into the account, the FDA considers the account at $1200 with a debt of X (which is the amount you still owe). You can spend up to $1200 from this account even if you spend it all on January 1. You will still be paying $100 per month into the account so the FSA will eventually get their money.

If someone leaves their job before paying the entire amount, the FSA just closes the account but doesn't try to collect for the amount that was still owing from the monthly paychecks. It's a nice feature. They make up for it on the other end, from people you "lose" their money by not spending it all each year, so it probably works out for them.

Karen

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867984 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 9:38 AM
Vision is priceless. At least do the bad eye now. Especially if you intend to keep driving.

Yes, BUT. My vision isn't that bad. And I drive only a few thousand miles a year, about a third as much as the average person, including summer driving of a couple thousand miles (we tow my car on RV trips)--and my eyes will be fixed by next trip. The attitude among the ophthalmologist's staff seems more, "of course you want to be free of your glasses!" (um, no, I like my glasses), and when I scheduled the surgery, "aren't you excited?!" Er, no. I'm scared. It's surgery, for goodness sake, lasers cutting on my eyeball and a hunk of plastic being inserted--not to mention that I'll be numbed and sedated, not put to sleep :-( No, I am most definitely not excited. But I hope I will be afterwards.

The only thing I notice that's different when I drive lately is that I can't read signs from as far away--it isn't like I don't see stop signs or traffic lights or cars on the road. I just can't read small print on signs, and all print is small from far enough away. But that doesn't stop me from seeing and reacting to a red octagonal sign or traffic light from just as far away. When driving somewhere unfamiliar, I just need to be a little closer to street signs and exit numbers/names to read them. Not a problem--as of today, I'm not going anywhere unfamiliar, and I'm able to avoid rush hour as a retiree anyway. Not to mention that DH doesn't need to go more than about 1/4 mile out of his way on the way home from work to stop at any of our usual stores should my eye get worse before surgery. I don't really need to drive at all outside of driving to may favorite walking places (the beach and county park, about 10 minutes each way) and to appointments (which are slowing down following a spate of medical, dental, and vision apptmts). I do have house guests coming soon that I will drive around, but just to my usual stomping grounds, and they will be here only 4 days--and I'm sure would be willing to drive if necessary.

PS-- Reading is still perfect online--OK, so I magnify TMF 3 times and brighten the screen--but then it's perfect. I've always magnified it 2 times till recently anyhow.

Reading paper can be a problem because the lettering can be too small for me, but my husband has always been able to read finer print as well as see greater distances and see much better in dim light, whereas I can discriminate colors much better.

We stopped subscribing to paper magazines and newspapers several years ago as a money-saving measure and both read them online now anyway. Since I got an iPad, I've switched almost entirely to reading books online. When necessary--maybe once or twice a month, I ask my husband to read something to me. None of this is a big deal--I don't feel like I have a severe vision problem, and neither did the ophthalmologist.

I've worn glasses for 23 years and have no problem with it other than occasional sore marks on the sides of my nose. The first thing I do when I wake up is put on my glasses, likewise the last thing I do when I go to sleep. I've never hated wearing glasses and am not excited by being able to do without them--just want to fix the cataract-caused blind spot on the inner side of my left eye, and fixing the astigmatism and distance vision is a nice plus (for which I will pay). I've always enjoyed picking out new frames every couple of years, just hate the expense--with my astigmatism, prismatic correction and "tri"-focals, my lenses are pricy even though the prescription isn't that strong (doesn't help that I tend to prefer pricier, lighter-weight frames with flexible hinges-). I will be able to switch to cheap drugstore reading glasses when both eyes are done. heh--I wonder how long I'll have to live to reach break-even on the expense of the surgery against the cost of new annual lenses and biennial frames ;-)

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867985 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 9:50 AM
The account is, in theory, fully funded on day one...if you spend it all on January 1. You will still be paying $100 per month into the account so the FSA will eventually get their money.

If someone leaves their job before paying the entire amount, the FSA just closes the account but doesn't try to collect for the amount that was still owing from the monthly paychecks. It's a nice feature. They make up for it on the other end, from people you "lose" their money by not spending it all each year, so it probably works out for them.

Karen

Ah, so. It works the same for us, but we are, ahem, a bit lazy and disorganized and generally submitted our paperwork near the end of the year when the account is almost fully funded. We often leave money on the table because we never know how much to put in, especially as we get older, our medical expenses vary wildly (eg, DH just had the first root canal either one of us ever had). Personally I think it's stupid to manage tax-free medical spending in this way--why not simply allow all permissable medical expenses to be tax-deductible? I guess the govt prefers this layer of private-business bureaucracy...sounds like a scam to me, one founded on corporate bribery of legislators.

Anyway, I guess we'll get payback this time from all the money left in our MSA accounts over the years. I wish I had a crystal ball about other medical needs for 2013.

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867991 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 10:55 AM
Recommendations: 3
So what about your ability to drive? From what you say, I do not particularly want to be on the road with you now. Do you think you can pass the driver's eye exam? If you got into an accident you could easily be sued for deliberately not taking action to see well enough to drive. Even if the accident were technically not your fault, you might have a difficult time showing that in court.

I have had cataract surgery in both eyes, and it was really easy, but somewhat disturbing to have somebody cutting on your eye while you are still conscious. I asked for more and more tranquilizers.

Do not do both eyes at the same time, since you will not be able to see well for a few days after the operation.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867994 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 11:27 AM
Thanks for this thread. I am in the same situation (although the problem is not as severe) and have been giving thought to the timing of my operation(s). My delay has less to do with money and more to do with the hopes that by the time I have the operation the technology and the techniques will be sufficiently advanced that I end up with perfect vision ... I have a fantasy of having implants that will take care of the cataract problem; the astigmatism problem; the myopia problem and the presbyopia problem .... hey a girl can dream can't she??

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867995 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 11:42 AM
Recommendations: 2
My delay has less to do with money and more to do with the hopes that by the time I have the operation the technology and the techniques will be sufficiently advanced that I end up with perfect vision

Find the right dr and you can do that now. Multifocal lense will fix distance and reading vision followed by custom prk for the astigmatism.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867996 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 11:49 AM
And if your husband is incapacitated ? Statistically speaking you will eventually be alone so plan on understanding your finances and being able to take care of yourself before that happens.

It is pretty amazing the day after(particularly the second eye) surgery and everything is clear.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868000 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 1:21 PM
followed by custom prk for the astigmatism.

This is the part that is a problem. I had old-fashioned slice-and-dice RK surgery done 25 (30?) years ago; did a wonderful job of correcting my vision (pre surgery I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me) so I'm not complaining, but now, many years later, it makes PRK problematic. I get varying degrees of pessimism from the different doctors I consult.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868013 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 5:40 PM
Once you have them, they will get worse fairly fast. Really, find a great doc and pay the extra for multi focal lenses.

They do multipfocal lenses in the implants?

LWW

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868035 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/10/2012 7:33 AM
Do you think you can pass the driver's eye exam?

Yes, I'm certain of it. My right eye alone sees OK, and the left side of my left eye is only slightly worse (the right side of my left eye is blurred from the cataract, which did get suddenly much worse just over the last couple of months). I was just thoroughly tested at the optometrist's and the ophthalmologist's.

OK vision, but not great--but that's always true 12 months after getting new lenses (and now it's 15 months). I guess I might as well be sue-able just before my annual eye exam--I seem to need to adjust the distance between my glasses and my eyes about 10 months after getting new lenses every year (I adjust the nose grips to bring the lenses closer). I always seem to need a slightly stronger prescription every year--and my left eye is somewhat weaker than the right.

Looking at how others drive, I'm still above average. At least I don't speed, weave, am not aggressive about beating other cars to lanes/lights/turns/parking spots/best position on the highway--plus I deliberately park at far ends of parking lots to get a little more walking in my life. I'm retired, leave plenty of time to get places, am never in a hurry, and avoid rush hour. My 86-year-old mother drives more aggressively than I do. No, I don't have a death-wish for myself or anyone else.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868036 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/10/2012 7:35 AM
Recommendations: 10
Looking at how others drive, I'm still above average.

EVERYBODY believes this about themselves

peace & I'm an excellent driver
t

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868037 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/10/2012 7:36 AM
Multifocal lense will fix distance and reading vision followed by custom prk for the astigmatism.

I note that this isn't possible for everyone--apparently multi-focal isn't for me. I was told the same thing about Lasik--that it wouldn't completely fix my eyes so it wasn't for me.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868038 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/10/2012 8:26 AM
Looking at how others drive, I'm still above average.
------
EVERYBODY believes this about themselves

Heh--I used to post that ;-)

I used to say I was an average driver or worse because when I had a long commute I usually kept up with the fastest traffic, and because it took me years to learn to parallel park with ease and often my straight-in parking was a wee bit crooked if still between the lines--that did improve with practice. My spatial reasoning is not outstanding--I always had trouble on those SAT/IQ/etc. tests when they provided a 3D figure rendered in 2D and asked which figure represents the original figure rotated horizontally or vertically. I used to leave those till the end of the test and then spend ages on them.

But because I recognize that my spatial reasoning is not outstanding, I drive more carefully, leaving extra room around my car whenever I can...although I've gotten more confident about tight places since moving to my current house with its tight 2-car garage (the house inspector called it a 1-car, but I can get my CR-V in when DH is already parked...without coming close to scraping his car, the tools hanging on the wall by my car, or the bicycles & beach chairs in front of me.

That said, I am driving even less than usual. I didn't drive all weekend, drove only to the ophthalmologist on Monday, didn't drive at all Tuesday and had DH do the one necessary errand on his way home. But I need to take my beach walk today, which I hate doing with others as I walk fast and in the water for exercise--and they saunter on the beach and get miffed. I'll go somewhere between 9:15-11am and hope that my achy knee is from skipping my walk for 2 days. I find I have troubles like that when I get either too little or too much exercise. A delicate balance, not so much resilience as even middle age, which my children informed me ended at age 62, despite my insistence that I have till 65--Don't get old, kids!

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868042 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/10/2012 11:06 AM
I was told the same thing about Lasik--that it wouldn't completely fix my eyes so it wasn't for me.

I asked the specialist about Lasix surgery, and he said I could never have it. Glaucoma, particularly my kind, is too risky. Some surgeons will perform Lasix, but it really is a threat to my vision.

Nancy
as I get older and older, that body starts refusing to heal.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868045 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/11/2012 11:42 AM
Happy 'loonday, Windowseat--may you live long and prosper.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868046 of 884986
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/11/2012 2:48 PM
Thank you.

Nancy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement