UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: foolfromoh Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308543  
Subject: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/22/2004 1:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
No. I never considered suicide.
The thought crossed my mind but I didn't take it very seriously.
I seriously considered suicide because of my debt.
Debt was not the primary factor when I was considering suicide

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185781 of 308543
Subject: Re: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/22/2004 2:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
If anyone selects anything other than no, I never considered suicide, especially #4, then I hope you have talked to someone. If not, please do talk to someone. Neither debt nor anything else in this world is worth killing yourself over. Find someone who can listen.

Fuskie
Who, in case you were ever in doubt, values everyone here...

Author: agg97 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185782 of 308543
Subject: Re: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/22/2004 2:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
Have you ever considered suicide as a solution to your debt problem?

No, I have not (obviously!), but a good friend of mine took his own life in the summer of 2002, presumably because of his heavy debt load.

He had been laid off in summer 2001 from a start-up dot-com company. He tried several months to find any job in his field, but he finally took a job delivering pizza for Domino's.

We were in a weekly small group discussion together, and he always had a smile on his face. He had a quick wit and a good sense of humor. We talked often about his job search, but never about his debt load.

Fast forward a few months, we were at our last meeting before taking a summer break. Everything seemed normal, he had just gotten back from a camping vacation, and he seemed well rested and calmer. I hadn't realized it at the time, but that was the last time I would see my friend alive.

Rest in peace, Greg!

-Agg97

Author: 2Leos Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185783 of 308543
Subject: Re: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/22/2004 2:14 PM
And you're not considering suicide right? Because if you are, even remotely, please talk to someone and get help right away. Debt is something that can be worked through -- I'm sure many people on this board will agree -- but suicide is lasting and hurts more than just yourself. I'm not a doctor but I wouldn't feel bad about talking to someone if I thought I needed a little help. Just a thought.

- D

Author: agg97 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185784 of 308543
Subject: Re: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/22/2004 2:22 PM
And you're not considering suicide right?

Who, me? No, of course not! I don't even have any debt other than my mortgage. Thanks for speaking your concern, though.

-Agg97

Author: foolfromoh Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185785 of 308543
Subject: Re: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/22/2004 2:25 PM
I'm sorry if I've sounded alarm bells with anyone. I'm not considering suicide. Far from it. I just got out of debt, got married (with cash!), and have never been more happy or at peace in my life.

Thank you for your concern.

My poll is a general reaction to the debt and suicide stories we see posted frequently here. I'm wondering if this is a widespread issue and I'm happy that so far it doesn't seem to be prevalent in our little online community.

Personally, though, I clicked: "Yes, but not seriously". In all honesty the thought crossed my mind a couple of times when I was deep in debt and wasn't sure how to get out. I didn't dwell on it or think up ways to accomplish it. I just forgot about it and got on with the business of finding a real solution.

Anyway, thanks again for the concern, I'm sorry if I've scared anyone unnecessarily.

FFO

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185787 of 308543
Subject: Re: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/22/2004 3:10 PM

I went through a couple of really, really bad years, and didn't necessarily want to die, but I didn't want to live any more, either.

My best friend probably doesn't realize it, but she saved my life by letting me move in with her, rather than allowing me to move back in with my mom.

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185788 of 308543
Subject: Re: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/22/2004 3:22 PM
Recommendations: 3
My poll is a general reaction to the debt and suicide stories we see posted frequently here. I'm wondering if this is a widespread issue and I'm happy that so far it doesn't seem to be prevalent in our little online community.

I would suspect a non-causal link between debt and suicide. By this I mean that I don't think that debt is, per se, a major factor driving people to suicide. I do believe that the same kinds of life problems that lead people to consider and sometimes commit suicide can also result in debt problems. For example, extreme depression to the point of suicidal ideation can also have creation of excessive credit card debt as a behavioral symptom.

As for my own life problems, divorce was a better solution than suicide.

Patzer

Author: GlobeandAnchor One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185809 of 308543
Subject: Re: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/23/2004 6:58 AM
Hmmm... what an odd question. No, I haven't, but as I sit here at work and bounced what seemed to me an outrageous question off a co-worker, and he responded "I guess that would put me in the 11% group". Turns out that he filed for bankruptcy last year, and things at home w/ the wife are not too hot, even at this point. This makes me think back 7-8 years when my ex & I split. I remember the ongoing hell that our love had become as she decended into depression that she refused to take the medication for. We always managed to pay our bills, but I would not be suprised if the thought of suicide had crossed her mind. I'd be surprised if it did'nt. Upon reflection, good question Foolfromoh... sometimes you don't know what a person is going through unless you ask.

Matt

Author: TheDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185874 of 308543
Subject: Re: Poll: Debt and Suicide Date: 6/24/2004 4:12 PM
Recommendations: 1

I guess debt was probably a factor...though I didn't see it at the time. I wasn't necessarily looking to die...but there didn't seem much point to life.

Oddly, it wasn't until I decided to get help that my debt situation finally came up front. I didn't max out my credit cards until a few months later...trying to pay for the 'help'.

It also felt like an eternity before I was in a position to see my options for getting out from under it...and another eternity to actually get out from under it.

And, despite what my parents think of my life....I think things are the best they've ever been now. But, then trying to get their approval is largely why I was so screwed up in the first place.

The Dreamer.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement