UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14995  
Subject: Poll: Do ppl know/noticed you're depressed? Date: 3/19/2012 7:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Okay, on topic now.

Do the people in your life (co-workers, family, friends, others) notice or recognize that you're depressed? If they make some indication that they notice, or inquire if you're depressed (or if something's wrong), how do you respond?

Or are you the type of person who is usually very good at hiding or masking your state of depression?

Something in between?

Discussion, stories, etc. please.
Yes, others tend to notice easily if I am actively depressed
Not really, not many notice I'm depressed
I'm very good at masking depression
No, I'm not social so few/no people to notice
None of the above / N.A.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14844 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Do ppl know/noticed you're depressed? Date: 3/19/2012 7:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
My own diagnosis is primarily bipolar disorder. I believe my primary features are depression as well as anxiety. I believe I am considered "mildly" depressed most of the time though it can be a bigger struggle at times. Hard to qualify.

And I haven't worked full time in many years. I was approved for disability benefits two years ago so my daily schedule is a fortunate (or not?) mostly by myself.

A few months ago, I have a roommate. He is here usually only about five days a week, but we have overlapping schedules so I am mostly fairly solitary. When I do interact, I tend to be very animated or pull out a lot of energy.

I tend to not be out and about with people unless I feel stronger or more active so when I am out and about, I usually can pull out a lot of energy and enthusiasm, or at least be able to focus on the particular situations. Examples: I'm great when I can go to the supermarket or the laundromat. Sometimes I help out some friends by babysitting and I can get a lot more enthusiastic. Since getting a dog to watch for "a few months" (possibly permanently, LOL) I have interacted more with neighbors, etc.

I note that having pets (I have this lovely dog and already had three cats) help me somewhat.

But frankly, I think no one really realizes, or notices, that I am depressed. I believe I have hid it well historically. Many people may notice I am moody (I can be the angry type, or cranky), but may not realize it is related to my depression.

LCD

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14845 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Do ppl know/noticed you're depressed? Date: 3/19/2012 10:43 PM
I don't know. Anyway I usually feel better when I'm at work.

Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14847 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Do ppl know/noticed you're depressed? Date: 3/20/2012 4:07 PM
I don't know. Anyway I usually feel better when I'm at work.

Personally, I think I am a natural introvert. For myself, the social element (meaning how others see me) is an issue sometimes. When I am dealing with more stress and depression, it is much harder for me to be around other people, or interact. I have a habit of trying to automatically make myself 'acceptable' or 'presentable' when I know I need to be with others.

Since I no longer work (on disability), I have less stress and anxiety about being forced to interact with other people unless I want to, or at least have enough time to be able to prep myself - maybe boost myself - so that I can deal with people.

Not really sure if having less contact with people is really good for me, but I like the ability to have more time to prepare.

LCD

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14850 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Do ppl know/noticed you're depressed? Date: 3/23/2012 2:34 AM
how about some yes, some no,most of my friends are depressed or something anyway so we talk about these things!

joycets

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement