UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885264  
Subject: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 10:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yes, these are all crap junk food. I haven't eaten any of these in years and at best, just a handful of times in more than three decades since I was a teenager. The few times I've had them in the last thirty years, I think I drowned them out with a coffee and wondering why on earth I ever liked this stuff as a kid.

Despite that, I started thinking about the times as a kid when I'd visit someone's house and they had these various goodies to offer. And I thought then, "yummy!" Now, I realize it was more about the friendship than the food. No matter how yucky I think of them now, I still miss the childhood experiences in which these cakes were notable centerpiece.

If I left out your (past or current) favorite, just post it.
Hostess Twinkies
Hostess Cupcakes
Hostess Devil Dogs, Ring Dings
Some other Hostess with the Mostest
Ugh. I have a crushed snack my pants.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868756 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 11:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Always been a HUGE Coffee Cake fan. My grandmother used to have them at her house and since my mother would NEVER permit such unhealthy items at our house (I didn't have a Twinkie until college), the Coffee Cakes were the really cool treat I only got at Grandma's house.

GSF

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868757 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 11:11 AM
None of the above.

Did I eat some of them as a kid or while in college, sure. But not since. Also keep in mind there were fewer places (Starbucks, etc) that families stopped at when we were kids where better quality snack cakes could be purchased.

If they go out of business, oh well - I'm certainly not buying them just to keep them in business for nostalgia's sake.

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868758 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 11:13 AM
Recommendations: 2
I always liked Snowballs, although I don't think I could eat them more than once a year. Chocolate cake surrounded by marshmallow cream covered in coconut and colored a radioactive pink color. Yummy!

Karen

Author: mmrmnhrm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868760 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 11:23 AM
Our vending machine guy will be quite put-off by this. Hostess products were the only thing he loaded which were guaranteed to consistently sell out.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868761 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 11:23 AM
Now, I realize it was more about the friendship than the food.

Nah it was the food. Children, before adolescence starts flooding them with growing-up hormones, have something in their blood chemistry that not only makes insanely high sugar content palatable, but actually "yummy" and they generally can't get enough of it. Once you hit adolescence whatever that hormone is starts to diminish and what previously tasted really, really good to you pretty much gags you because of the sweetness level. SA ref but no link.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868763 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 12:01 PM
Insert a Hostess Twinkie on a popsickle stick, dip into batter and deep fry in some oil. It's heaven on a stick.

Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868764 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 12:11 PM
My parents never bought the stuff, so I never developed much of a taste for it. I do like the Hostess hand pies, or whatever they call them. My family must have not had much of a sweet tooth, because we always had potato chips around...although they were all natural, preservative-free chips, which, G-d knows, is not one of the attributes of Hostess goodies.

Sadie Killmouski
Don't get me started on the organic peanut butter I was forced to eat as a child.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868767 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 1:09 PM
Recommendations: 4
When I was 5? 6? my step-father had a second job driving a delivery van for Hostess.

When they would throw stuff out because it was getting old, he'd bring some home. One time, he brought home a whole 30 gallon (brand new/clean) garbage can full of stuff. We'd put it in the freezer to make it last.

My favorite is the coffee crumb cake, but at times we had it all: nilla wafers, ginger snaps, pies, twinkies, ding dongs, cup cakes. . .

*sigh*

Ishtar
(trying to avoid all that now)

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868775 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 7:34 PM
If they go out of business, oh well - I'm certainly not buying them just to keep them in business for nostalgia's sake.

Neither will anyone else apparently. The Hostess company is liquidating.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2012/11/16/the-e...

After the company had been through two bankruptcies you'd think the union would get the hint. Union intransigence has run their workers right out of their jobs.

Don't expect to see Twinkie Withdrawal Centers springing up all over the nation though. The last time I went looking for a Twinkie in our supermarket I had search through several (locally made) genuine imitations that looked the same.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868779 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/16/2012 9:58 PM
After the company had been through two bankruptcies you'd think the union would get the hint. Union intransigence has run their workers right out of their jobs.

Well, when pushed management admitted that they'd make their own fair share of mistakes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/relax-twinkies-likely-live-1...

And there's hope! Hostess thinks they may be able to sell the brands to a competitor. There may be fresh cupcakes by New Years!

Nancy

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868780 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/17/2012 1:46 AM
Well, when pushed management admitted that they'd make their own fair share of mistakes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/relax-twinkies-likely-live-1...

And there's hope! Hostess thinks they may be able to sell the brands to a competitor.

True:
In an interview with CNBC, the CEO laid the lion’s share of the blame at the feet of the striking union. However, he acknowledged that management missteps, particularly ones that saddled the company with debt when it last emerged from bankruptcy after more than four years of restructuring in 2009, also contributed to the company’s current situation.

The CEO did offer a ray of hope for Twinkie fans. “I'm hopeful that we can sell the brands,” he said. “I think that obviously competitors will be looking at those and then they have to make a judgment.”

Ayup! Local bakeries have been selling look-alike cream filled sponge cake bars for years under their own brand names. Whether they'll be willing to shell out big bucks for the right to the Twinkies brand name remains to be seen.

Author: LOTROQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868781 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/17/2012 2:07 AM
Ayup! Local bakeries have been selling look-alike cream filled sponge cake bars for years under their own brand names. Whether they'll be willing to shell out big bucks for the right to the Twinkies brand name remains to be seen.

To hell with Twinkies.

I want to be able to buy a box of chocolate cupcakes once a month.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868795 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/17/2012 1:39 PM
Funny Bones!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTSGDDLmaXQ

Author: bmillz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868804 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/17/2012 9:20 PM
Recommendations: 1
I didn't feel too impacted by the loss of twinkies or other snacks. Until I realized it was hostess that made Donettes! Definitely my favorite guilty pleasure treat.

Author: Jennlee222 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868840 of 885264
Subject: Re: Poll: Fav Hostess snack cakes Date: 11/19/2012 7:35 AM
When I was a kid my most fav was the fruit pie. Especially blueberry.

I'm always a little surprised that so many people actually love twinkies. They just don't do anything for me.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement