Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LeKitKat Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20081  
Subject: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 10:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hostess is closing the doors and turning off the ovens. Kiss Ding Dongs goodbye, no more deep fried Twinkies at state fairs, no more squishing an entire loaf of Wonder bread into a tennis ball-sized chunk of gooey dough.
Twinkies
Ho Hos
Drakes Cakes
Fruit Pies
Ding Dongs

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: stillwater9999 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12366 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 11:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I loved Twinkies when I was about 5, but at some point the taste changed to me from yummy to soapy. Have not had any of these in many, many years.

sw

Author: cautiousone100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12367 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 12:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
Once, I brought a box of Ho Hos to a mother/daughter YMCA campout and was SHOCKED that one of the Mom's, in her forties, had never had a Ho Ho. During elementary school years, my Mom put a hostess treat in my lunchbox every Friday - yummy!

cautiousone

Author: mrgoo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12369 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 3:04 PM
Recommendations: 0
Ho Hos of course because Hos have to eat too...

Author: kelbon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12370 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 3:08 PM
Recommendations: 4
One confectionary to another:

"Who are you calling a Ho Ho? I'm a 'Hostess' cookie."

"Call yourself what you like; it amounts to the same thing —hostess, ha!"

"Yeah, what would you know, you're a Ding Dong!"

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12371 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 5:05 PM
Recommendations: 6
How could you leave Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes off the list? With the little white curli-que drizzle of frosting over the chocolate layer of frosting over the chocolate cake surrounding the creme filling?

Heresy. (Mrs. Goofy was brought up around Philadelphia, where Tastycake was the brand of choice, but for me, nothing like a Hostess Chocolate Cupcake.)

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12372 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 5:28 PM
Family Guy episode originally filmed in 1999 from Wikopedia:

On December 31, 1999, a man in a chicken suit asks Peter if he wants a coupon, but Peter refuses, recalling his own time that he got a bad coupon from Ernie the Giant Chicken and started a fistfight that caused causalities in many places of Quahog. After when Peter refuses for a coupon, the man warns Peter that the world will end because of Y2K.

Peter locks his family up in their basement, despite his family's protests to attend a local New Years party. While the Griffin family spends the next few minutes inside their basement wearing hazmat suits, a nuclear holocaust occurs at midnight because of Y2K, destroying much of the world and mutating, injuring, or killing many of the surviving citizens of Quahog, however, the Griffins remain free from mutations.

As the family look for survivors, they soon discover that Joe has been melted into his driveway, his son Kevin has been vaporized, while Quagmire and Cleveland have fused together and are now called "Clevemire"; with the former wishing to be called "Quagland", and Tom Tucker and Diane Simmons have eaten Tricia Takanawa. Starving for food, Peter immediately eats all the dehydrated meals, without adding water. Becoming hungry, Peter recalls that the snackfood Twinkies are the only food that can survive a nuclear holocaust.

Desperate, the family travels to Natick, Massachusetts, in hopes that the Twinkie factory has survived. On the way, Stewie is exposed to nuclear waste and soon mutates into an octopus-like creature. Upon their arrival at Natick, they discover the factory is still standing, and in perfect condition. Expecting to be able to live off of the snackfood, they decide to establish a town, dubbed New Quahog.

Bob

Author: EthylMercaptan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12373 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 5:49 PM
Are they going to auction off the rights to make these? Why does everyone think that Twinkies are gone for ever?

C2H5SH

Author: Pipilongstocking Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12374 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 5:50 PM
yes the hostess cupcake was good but I thought the best was "The Big Wheel", the chocolate dipped cupcake.

Author: stillwater9999 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12375 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 6:00 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/happens-twinkies-really-away-202553538...

sw

Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12376 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 7:23 PM
My choice is obviously, ... Ho Hos :)

Author: TMFRichDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12377 of 20081
Subject: Re: Poll: Favorite Hostess Guilty Pleasure? Date: 11/16/2012 7:36 PM
Hi EthylMercaptan,

Yes, auction(s) are planned and I doubt Twinkies will be gone forever.

In fact, I suspect that Flowers (FLO) jumped 10% today on speculation that they may acquire some of Hostess' assets at fire sale pricing. FLO bought Tastykake out of bankruptcy a short time ago and so the move would not be unprecedented. FLO has been growing via acquisitions for some time now and they are pretty good at it and don't seem to overpay.

Many of the Tastykake offerings are similar to Twinkies and other Hostess products, see pictures and listing here:

http://www.flowersfoods.com/FFC_Brands/BrandDetail.cfm?Brand...

FLO might be more interested in Wonder Bread though. Or maybe some of the bakeries.

FLO is a solid, well run company and if they should be a successful bidder for some of Hostess's assets they'll be around for a good long time.

For those that don't want to take any chances and just HAVE to get their sugar fix, hoarding is an option and its being reported that Hostess' products last far longer than the company's stated 25 day shelf life:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to-stockpile-twinkies-2...

Twinkies don’t spoil — they taste pretty much the same long after their expiration date,” says Steve Ettlinger, author of the book “ Twinkie, Deconstructed ,” for which he researched the snack food’s ingredients. While researching the book, he came across a several years old stash of Twinkies: “A little hard but not spoiled,” he reports. Plus, they don’t need to be refrigerated: “The whole point is that they’re stable at room temperature,” Ettlinger says.

Oh, and I liked the Ding Dong (chocolate cupcake) best when I was growing up.

Rich

ps: Long FLO

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement