No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't know about you but I seem to find a lot of pennies as I walk through parking lots, going in and out of stores. Ocassionally I will find a nickel or dime but mostly pennies. I figure this must be because other people see them but don't bother to stop to pick up a mere penny. I am not one of those people.

But today was different. I spotted a real shiny one in the parking lot of Home Depot just as I was nearing the sidewalk and front door. But I didn't stop to grab it. It was an instantaneous decision but immediately afterwards I thought, "Why didn't I grab it likel I always do?". Then I realized it was bcause another patron was right on my heels and he may have spotted the penny too. And I didn't want him to judge me as some sort of pauper or cheapskate because I would stop for a penny.

I made a point of looking for it one the way out but it was gone. My self-consciousness had cost me a penny. So now it's time for you hayseeds to fess up. Would you stoop for a penny? If no, then what is your minimum to make it worthwhile?
Yep, I usually will pick up a penny
Nope, Gotta be a nickel or dime
25 cents minimum
Folding money only
With what's in my pants, I can't bend to pick up anything

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Then I realized it was bcause another patron was right on my heels and he may have spotted the penny too. And I didn't want him to judge me as some sort of pauper or cheapskate because I would stop for a penny.

Heck yes I stop for a penny. I don't care who sees me. If I see it, I'm gonna grab it.
oh the anniversary of my parents death this yr. I found two pennies heads up. I remember reading in Dear Abby about folks finding coins on special days and considering them a message/gift from dearly departed loved one so on that day, I put the two pennies on my dresser and thought of them and thanked them.

But to get to the question, heck yeah, I pick up coins no matter what. If it's right near a cashier though, I opt not to pick it up, because it may be a loss to the cashier...but nothing else stops me. :) I found a $20 bill once flying through a parking lot. Then there was the time I found a dollar and then went through a drive through and a dollar bill flew out of my hand. grrrrr!

LD
I figure picking up cents (pennys are British coinage :D) is the equivalent of earning $18.00 / hour. While not close to my actual salary, I'm not "too good" to work for that wage.
I found a $20 bill once flying through a parking lot. Then there was the time I found a dollar and then went through a drive through and a dollar bill flew out of my hand. grrrrr!

LD

--------------------

$20 is my biggest find as well. It was blowing down the sidewalk in New Orleans. We celebrated by going to some place in the Quarter for sangria and oyster poorboys.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I figure picking up cents (pennys are British coinage :D) is the equivalent of earning $18.00 / hour. While not close to my actual salary, I'm not "too good" to work for that wage. - Jim2B

-----------------

That requires a two second per penny retrieval time. I don't think I move or bend that fast. My hourly rate is more like $3.60.

Always, always do. That's "free money" from the Universe, and I don't believe in turning down the Universe's gifts.
Then there was the time I found a dollar and then went through a drive through and a dollar bill flew out of my hand. grrrrr!

LD

You know who you are? You're Even Steven!
Wow, just noticed I got a palindrome in my previous post on this thread... 681186. How about that?
"How about that? "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Neato.

Howie52
There once was a poll regarding the popularity of words ending in "o".
Neato came in third.
Followed "Letsgoeato"
But trailed "Letsgohaveadrinko" by several lengths.
No. of Recommendations: 4
-----------
Always, always do. That's "free money" from the Universe, and I don't believe in turning down the Universe's gifts.
===========
I found 14 cents in the alley yesterday. A dime and 4 pennies. I picked it all up and put it in my pocket.

I always, always pick up pennies, and anything bigger too. From the time my son was 3 up until about 7 when he started getting tall he was always finding money on the ground probably because he was little and close to it. Especially in parking lots and around shopping malls but other places too.

When I was a young girl I would spend a couple weeks every summer vacationing with my grandparents on the grounds at my grandfather's carnival, H. H. Gray County Fair Shows, that traveled around western Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming. Me and the carnie kids would run outside early every morning to try to find any money that had fallen out of people's pockets the night before, especially around the rides that turned you upside down and the concession and game stands, but you would sometimes find some around the ferris wheel too and even the merry go round. We would check out absolutely everything. We were like a pack of wild wolves on the hunt, running around all over the place.

That carnival was really fun. There was a freak show with geeks and fire eaters and little people galore, sword swallowers, bearded ladies, snake charmers and a separate area for a hootchy kootchy dance of the veils theater where you could watch a little outside but had to pay extra to go in (no kids allowed) and a fun house with a big Laffin Sal like doll lady at the entrance who made you laugh and scared you at the same time, and a love tunnel through this dark maze where scary things leaped out at you. You sure don't see anything like that at the carnivals that travel around the country these days. They've all been sanitized and cleaned up.
Always, always do. That's "free money" from the Universe, and I don't believe in turning down the Universe's gifts. _

Kinda how I feel, it is a Karma thing,
No. of Recommendations: 3
Then there was the time I found a dollar and then went through a drive through and a dollar bill flew out of my hand. grrrrr!

LD

ONe thing used to drive me crazy.

I used to go in the early morning to play basketball. Every morning there would be money left on the court. Not big bucks of course, but anywhere from a few pennies to some quarters and other silver. I guess the kids would empty their pockets while playing, and change to kids today is apparently pointless.

Anyway, every morning, I would pick it up.

Then one morning I ran a little late, I came and there was an elderly gent walking the edges of the court picking up the change.

From then on, I left the change, figuring if this guy needed it, I would do the right thing. Years of training made it tough for me every morning to see the change sitting on the ground and not pick it up, but hey I was doing the right thing.

Fast forward, I find a place to play ball indoors, and go there in the morning. Who do I find doing laps in the gym? The gent I saw picking up the coins. Nice guy we always shared a few words, then one day he catches me working out and we chat.

The guy was absolutely LOADED, he was involved with being part owner of a big supermarket chain on Long Island and was rolling in money!

I think I was right about that Karma thing.
I pick up every penny! So does my daughter. I have no problem picking them up in front of others.

We keep a piggy bank with a sign that says "Disney Fund", and all found monies go in there. So when we find coins or empty pockets, we proclaim "Feed The Pig!".

Always :-)
Hunzi
The tiniest, tiniest risk I may throw my back out to pick up a penny is good enough reason not to pick. You could have the luckiest day ever and find 100 pennies. What do you have? One measily dollar.

By the way, pennies need to be taken out of circulation. The weight they contribute to your pocket change is not worth their functionality. After all these years of inflation they are worth virtually nothing. Just go with the nickel. What is worth a penny these days? Even a small gum ball will cost you 25 cents these days. Even if you bought something worth a penny, the most you'd be off is 4 cents if you use a nickel. But if you argue that in repeated transactions those 4 cents would add up, then buy in bulk. Those pesky pennies add up to major copper weight in your pockets.

Say no to pennies.
The tiniest, tiniest risk I may throw my back out to pick up a penny is good enough reason not to pick. You could have the luckiest day ever and find 100 pennies. What do you have? One measily dollar.

That's OK, you can send all of yours to me!
"Fast forward, I find a place to play ball indoors, and go there in the morning. Who do I find doing laps in the gym? The gent I saw picking up the coins. Nice guy we always shared a few words, then one day he catches me working out and we chat. The guy was absolutely LOADED, he was involved with being part owner of a big supermarket chain on Long Island and was rolling in money! I think I was right about that Karma thing." - lowstudent
---------------------

One of my mom's sayings was, "them that gots gets."

It's actually verse in the New Testament - believe it or not. I didn't find that out till many years later. Strange I know.

Matthew 13:12
"Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him."

I guess that is where my mom got the "them that gots, gets." ?

Art
"The tiniest, tiniest risk I may throw my back out to pick up a penny is good enough reason not to pick. You could have the luckiest day ever and find 100 pennies. What do you have? One measily dollar." - Foolman

Actually it feels sort of good to bend over and pick up a penny. It stretches my back out; which I need since I have back problems. I carry a cane and use it to support myself and sort of brace on the cane and bend over and pick up the penny. It's a case of "a little bit is good but a whole lot is not."

Art
Art quoted: "Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him."

As usual, Art misunderstands Scripture.

Whoever has will be given more. This is an allusion to a common custom in all countries: he who possesses much or is rich, to such a person presents are routinely given.

Example: People who don't really need comping usually get comped. If Tom Cruise visits a restaurant--even a humble coffee shop--the proprietor will probably comp him. Baracky Owebama rarely pays for anything, even though he can well afford it. Moochelle gets comped for all the designer dresses she wears, even though she can well afford to pay for them herself. In all instances, the giftee should pay, but they don't.

Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. That is, the poor man has little and may easily become prey and so he loses what little he has.

Example: Even though they can ill afford it, poor people are disproportionate purchasers of lottery tickets. Thus, they lose what little they do have.

LD

You know who you are? You're Even Steven!
Baron Andrew

>>>>>>>
well coming from a Baron, I can only assume it's a good thing. :)

EvenStevenDog
Advertisement