UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: diat Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4657  
Subject: Poll: Flooring Date: 11/26/2010 9:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I live in North Carolina, and I am trying to decide on the flooring in my home. I have an open floorplan downstairs, with no doors between the rooms. The staircase is in the center of the downstairs and wraps around, with the kitchen/breakfast nook, dining/living room, and foyer around it. I am torn between putting hardwood flooring in the entire downstairs or putting hardwood flooring in the foyer, and living/dining room, and putting tile in the kitchen/breakfast nook. Both options offer benefits: the hardwoods only gives a uniform, continuous look in the entire downstairs and the tile in the kitchen/breakfast nook provides ease of cleanup. Which option should I choose?

Thanks in advance,
DIAT

Note: I will cross post this to other home boards as well.
Hardwoods in entire open downstairs
Hardwoods in foyer living/dining area and tile in kitchen/breakfast nook
Neither
Other - please explain

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: WyomingCowgirl Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4618 of 4657
Subject: Re: Poll: Flooring Date: 11/27/2010 3:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hardwoods clean up as easy as tile - actually easier without the grout lines. Hardwoods can also be sanded and restained to look brand new. I like the seamless look and they are warmer than tile.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4619 of 4657
Subject: Re: Poll: Flooring Date: 11/27/2010 1:50 PM
By "tile" do you mean vinyl tile or ceramic tile.

The ceramic tile has the problem that it can be shattered if you drop something heavy on it. So it becomes important to save some matching tile for possible patching later. (Finding matching tile for an existing job is almost impossible.)

Replacing a broken tile can mean redoing the whole floor. There is also potential for staining.

If possible, I would use vinyl tile, or go with hardwood or laminates.

Author: diat Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4620 of 4657
Subject: Re: Poll: Flooring Date: 11/28/2010 12:18 AM
I meant ceramic (or porcelain) tile. One of my aunts just got vinyl tile installed and it is nice. I had never seen that before, so that is definitely an option as well.

I am not much of a cooker, and have no small kids or pets, BTW.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4621 of 4657
Subject: Re: Poll: Flooring Date: 11/28/2010 3:43 PM
Vinyl tile has been around for a long time, lasts a long time, and is easy to take care of. Its a bit passe these days compared to ceramic tile which is more in style. Still, I'd go with vinyl if you find a pattern you like.

Ceramic tile looks nice when new, but has its problems.

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4622 of 4657
Subject: Re: Poll: Flooring Date: 11/29/2010 12:28 AM
All wood!!

Author: mudman90039 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4625 of 4657
Subject: Re: Poll: Flooring Date: 4/11/2011 12:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
I know this is way late but I've heard many complaints as to tile being difficult to keep clean in a kitchen and for long periods standing it can be horrible and cold. Another thing is that using the same flooring throughout the open plan the space will look bigger. Once with a small townhome I never actually never bought, my folks and I were choosing carpet and linoleum. I'd had some design background and wanted the kitchen linoleum to go into bath and down the hall. Sales woman and my folks both objected and picked different linoleums with carpet down the hall to garage door. That carpet would have been so dirty and all the little spaces would have had too much contrast. I was planning on a cheap runner down hall that was easy to clean or replace.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement