UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Dragonshark Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308225  
Subject: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/20/2002 7:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
1-2 years
3-5 years
5-10 years
10-20 years
over 20 years

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: rah1420 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143307 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/20/2002 8:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I count only my student loans, 3-5 years. If I count my kids' student loans, 10-20. Probably closer to 10.

Still a bargain.

Author: mlk58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143309 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/20/2002 8:40 PM
Other: 6 months to 1 year, depending on when DH gets a job after being laid off. We started on January 1, 2000, so it'll end up being 3.5-4 years altogether.

mlk58
$115,366 down, $17,540 to go (but who's counting...)

Author: coolprash Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143310 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/20/2002 8:53 PM
Recommendations: 8
why not an option for those of us who are free NOW and are rooting for all of you.

Author: Dragonshark Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143312 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/20/2002 9:30 PM
<<<why not an option for those of us who are free NOW and are rooting for all of you.>>>

I was trying to get a feel for time periods (that and there aren't enough vote slots (I wanted a never in debt/out of debt selection, and of course a debt in my pants selection, but I failed.)

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143342 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/21/2002 12:46 PM
Well, my freedom day would have to be counted as 3-5 years since you included student loans. But given that my student loans are at 2.86%, I am not in any hurry to pay those down as I am focusing on savings right now.

DT

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143345 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/21/2002 1:14 PM
Yup, I voted for 10 to 20 years because we are about to consolidate our student loans and pay them off over the longest time period possible (20 years, I think). Why? What's the last time you saw anyone offer personal credit for 20 years with a tax-deductible rate of under 3.5%? I'm in no hurry.

Author: FloatinFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143365 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/21/2002 3:31 PM
Sheesh - I've been kind of afraid to calculate how far out into the future this is going to drag on.

I 'guess-timated' 3-5 years. Ask me in 3-5 years. :-)

FF

Author: frissy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143384 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/21/2002 4:41 PM
If all goes according to plan, I should be out of debt by March.

But yesterday, when I was pulling out onto the road, my truck was a little attached to 1st gear....grrr.

Author: LuluB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143400 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/21/2002 5:29 PM
I only had $5,000 in student loans, which were paid off many years ago.

Author: allienic98 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143405 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/21/2002 5:39 PM
If all goes well and there are no bumps in the road, August 2004. But as I know there will be bumps (just hopefully not too many!) it will probably be more like December 2004. Just in time for a Christmas present to ourselves! :-)

Author: 7karen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143439 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/21/2002 8:57 PM
No flippin' idea. Still just trying to stay afloat. Good things are possible soon, though. (You know the stage where you find yourself thinking, "well, at least the balance went down by $2.00..")

- karen

Author: daisy4125 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143525 of 308225
Subject: Re: Poll: Freedom day Date: 10/22/2002 2:21 PM
Sorry for the late response. I based my "3-5" vote on credit cards alone. DH and I have snowballed away $9K of CC debt over the last two years, and still have $14K to go. For now, I will gladly consider myself "free" when the CC monster is off our backs.

The student loans, though comparable in value to a small mortgage, just don't irritate me the way that the CC debt does. It's the old "good debt, bad debt" comparison. I tend to view the CC debt as irresponsible debt, primarily the result of being "f"oolish. The student loan debt, while certainly no picnic, is more "F"oolish to me.

Interestingly, before long I will arrive at a point where the interest rate on my credit card debt is lower than that of one of my student loans... I'm not sure what path my snowball will then take; whether the hunger to eradicate the CC debt will win out over my desire to pay the least possible interest...

Good luck to you all.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement