Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Con Date: 6/11/2008 11:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
On the news they've been saying that some Americans are reducing their driving miles due to high fuel prices. Are people on this board doing this? Option #1 requires a little explanation. "Doing things differently..." can mean taking public transportation, carpooling, combining trips, walking, or riding a bicycle, scooter, or motorcycle. Any alternative that is intended to reduce your fuel consumption other than just not going.

Please select the option only if your alternative is significant. For example, it should impact at least 5-10% of your travel.
Yes, I am using less fuel by doing some things differently.
Yes, I am using less fuel by reducing trips.
Yes, both 1 and 2.
I've made no significant changes.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Capcon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13335 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 11:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Doing things differently... like staying home and reading the Fool. ;)

Cap

Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13336 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 11:50 AM
To get to the tennis club, I usually ride my scooter the 20 miles each way to save gas. However, I used to only ride the scooter if the weather was absolutely perfect with no threat of rain. Even if it was windy or cold, I would be a wimp and take the car.

Since gas prices went over $4, I put the winter liners back into my riding jacket and pants. Now, even if it's sprinkling outside here (it does that a lot here in Oregon), I ride the scooter anyway!

I go to the club about 4-5 times a week, so it's a pretty big deal if I can use my scooter. Unfortunately, this strategy won't work when it's truly winter outside. :(

CG

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13338 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 12:06 PM
I've always walked as much as I can. I typically only use the car to drive to the golf course. In the past, I've usually take two long driving vacations a year. This year I've saving gas by substituting three trips where I fly to my destination and a week-long cruise to Alaska.

At $125/barrel for oil, that $217 cross-country airfare I paid in May cost Northwest about $300/seat for the fuel.

intercst

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13339 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 12:13 PM
<<I've always walked as much as I can. I typically only use the car to drive to the golf course. In the past, I've usually take two long driving vacations a year. This year I've saving gas by substituting three trips where I fly to my destination and a week-long cruise to Alaska.

At $125/barrel for oil, that $217 cross-country airfare I paid in May cost Northwest about $300/seat for the fuel.

intercst

>>

I wonder how long it will be before the cruise ship industry runs aground on high oil prices. Those ships are beautiful, but I have to suppose they will be casualties of high oil prices.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13341 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 12:36 PM
Last month we filled up three times between two cars, two of those being DW's. Given our activities, there's not much room to cut back there unless DW cuts back her volunteer activities. I think more strategically about making shopping trips, making fewer and trying to get more stuff done on each trip. But our gas consumption is close to rock-bottom anyway, so the savings are not terribly significant.

We keep the thermostat set a little cooler than we used to but not out of any desire to conserve--after seven years in OR we finally seem to be getting used to having a cooler house. And of course with no summers anymore, we are saving on A/C.

We are more conscious of not leaving lights on when not in a room. We switched to CFLs in a few lamps but the one I put in a ceiling can sucks compared to the regular bulb, so we are sticking with regulars until the gov't makes them unavailable or an alternative works better.

I wouldn't mind biking to the grocery store, but it's a long, steep hill to get back to our house, too steep to ride. (A number of regular bike riders in the neighborhood put their bikes on their car racks and drive down to the bottom of the hill with them.) It would be difficult to push a bike all the way home with grocery bags to boot.

We are still planning to fly places for travel. The only consideration there will be the increased cost, not the use of energy.

--fleg

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13345 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 3:41 PM
This year I'm planning on about 20,000 miles of summer driving.

Might be the last summer with only $4 gas. So I need to get a bunch of traveling out of the way in the BUick which gets 29 mpg on the road.

Next summer, I'll probably be taking the Prius on the road trips at 45+ mpg. But I expect gas to be $5 or $6 or more next summer, so the overall price per mile will be a little bit less, but not much.

Otherwise, I putter around town about 100 miles a week when home, and that could be easily chopped by 50% if worse comes to worse, or if we have shortages that result in no gas for a week or two or three.....

On the energy side, I put in extra insulation in the roof last year and added even more weatherstripping on doors. R50 in the attic.

House is kept about 78 deg in the summer time inside. NOt going to change there. Unless electricity triples soon....then I'll look for ways to chop bill.

Same with pool pump. It has to run a bit....new motor $$$ might be 10-15% more efficient, but payback now is forever.

Same for refrig now 18 years old. When it dies it gets replaced. Biggest year round energy hog. But payback still 20 years to replace it.....when it dies, it gets replaced.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13346 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 3:44 PM
"I wonder how long it will be before the cruise ship industry runs aground on high oil prices. Those ships are beautiful, but I have to suppose they will be casualties of high oil prices."

Could be a problem. They get about 300 feet per gallon of fuel. That divided by maybe 1000 paying passengers....so the fuel mileage is a respectable 30,000 feet per gallon of fuel, or six miles a gallon per passenger.

If they have 2000 passengers like some of the bigger ones, then 12 mpg per person per mile.....

They'll just cut back on the miles on each cruise...visit fewer ports....or spend more time in each one.

Did you know that Christopher Columbus got about 15,000 miles to the galleon?

t.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13352 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 5:38 PM

t.

Good one! Except galleons didn't exist in 1492. Make it Frances Drake to be more accurate.

cliff

Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13355 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 9:24 PM

*groan*

Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13359 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 10:22 PM
At this point, 65% of people have said that they've made no significant changes.

First off, let me say that I'm not being critical at all. I ride my scooter because I want to save money on gas. It's an economic choice, not a moral crusade.

That being said, I am surprised that the current price of gas hasn't had more of an impact on what people are doing. For those who answered that way, why is that?

Is it simply that there aren't that many things that you can do? Is fuel not a large enough part of your overall budget that you need to make changes?

CG

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13362 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 11:16 PM
That being said, I am surprised that the current price of gas hasn't had more of an impact on what people are doing. For those who answered that way, why is that?

Is it simply that there aren't that many things that you can do? Is fuel not a large enough part of your overall budget that you need to make changes?

CG

---------------------

I'm already not doing anything.
Mostly I just stay home.
It's about 3 - 4 miles into town.
And 3 -4 miles back, natch.
And I go maybe 2 or 3 times a week lately since I've been selling stuff on Amazon.
But normally, I don't go at all - except on the weekend.

Bought an RV and haven't gone anywhere in it yet -- but planning a trip over the 4th.

Did go to Ashland to see some plays. Do that about once a year.
Otherwise...haven't had a real vacation in about 7 years now.

But I live (now) in a place that tourists love to come -- and are pea-green with envy when they find out that I live here. So... I guess it's kind of like being on vacation all the time, really -- with all the comforts of home.

And, if summer EVER gets here to the PNW.... I will enjoy sitting on my deck looking at my fab view which rivals many in Europe.

The poll didn't have a place to answer that we don't actually need to do anything because we are already not using very much gas.

AM

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13363 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 11:30 PM
"That being said, I am surprised that the current price of gas hasn't had more of an impact on what people are doing. For those who answered that way, why is that?"

I drive 100 miles a week in my Prius....and that costs be about $8 or $9/week. Not a big deal. I east out 7 nights a week, and average probably $7-$8 night.....

Lost in the noise..

My hobby is travel. I do about 20,000-25,000 miles a year.

I spend $50-80 on a motel, $25 on meals, so an extra $20 or $30 goinn into the gas tank isn't going to stop my travel. It hurts when you do the last 1400 miles in 2 days, and put $90 in gas each day into the tank, but I figure the total cost for the trip. An extra $300 in gas isn't going to stop me.

I might have to up my withdrawal rate by 0.1 or 0.2% to cover it...but this year I start collecting $1000/mo in social security and it will provide lots of travel money......hit 62.

Why should I cut back? Buick gets 29 mpg on the road...anoother 15K miles and it will be up to 200K, and maybe I'll sell it and use the Prius for trips. Not as comfy, but we'll see.

Gas isn't going down. Likely to keep going up year after year.

My budget isn't that tight.

THat's why I'm not cutting back. Don't have to.

Many in this town have good incomes and might have to give up a meal out every now and then, or not buy something this month..but lots of dual income families making well over $100K combined....many $150K combined....

It's the lower income folks getting squeezed.

t.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13364 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 11:32 PM
I guess I should say that I am driving less, consolidating errands along with other appointments. I let my grass grow a litter longer before cutting. If I use AC, I set it for about 78 degrees. Don't really know what else I could do at this point. When winter comes, I guess I can burn more wood and pollute the earth, but save natural gas usage. I don't think there is a shortage of natural gas is there?

I am also spending less money. Not driving, I visit fewer stores. I would love to buy a new lens, but I don't "have" to have it. So I have not bought it. I probably will not buy the new iPhone, just keep using the one I have which for me is good enough. I am keeping my gas guzzler which I love and it is paid for. I am not going to as many dog shows which involve travel.

~Birgit

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13365 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 11:41 PM
Birgit: "I don't think there is a shortage of natural gas is there?"

well, the price of NG has gone up by 5 in the last 7 years. Does that tell you anything?

Storage right now is at the low end of the normal range.

We are using 23 trillion cu feet of NG a year....and soon there won't be enough to go around. We keep building more and more NG fired power plants...when we should be building nukes....

Electric prices set to double and triple in next five years....NG prices will rise and rise....

Birgit: "I am also spending less money. Not driving, I visit fewer stores. I would love to buy a new lens, but I don't "have" to have it. So I have not bought it. I probably will not buy the new iPhone, just keep using the one I have which for me is good enough. I am keeping my gas guzzler which I love and it is paid for. I am not going to as many dog shows which involve travel."

Well, if you got the money, consider buying a new lense...likely hold its value.

A new iPhone will be worth 1/10th of what you pay for it in 5 years.....maybe....if it still works.....

A 'paid for' car will likely beat a new gas sipper by a big margin. If you don't drive that much, so what? Cheaper to put an extra ten in the gas tank than pay $200/month car payments....

I got over the thing about 'wanting and wanting' and 'buying and buying' toys....30 years ago, which is why I retired early...was LBYM...

t.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13366 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 11:51 PM
The poll didn't have a place to answer that we don't actually need to do anything because we are already not using very much gas.

pretty much my answer.

i took the question to be Significant (15%) Recent changes, Because of fuel price.

i might think about combining trips, or fewer trips, or going to somewhere closer ..but don't think that's Significant or Recent.

recently went to hospital and drove myself ... saved fuel i guess, but it was more about Control

recently back from Ore.trip. ...which i've been doing twice a year. Maybe only once this year, but about other things, not fuel prices (not overly excited about any of the plays, feeling like crap today)

( went out for coffee recently ..stopped at 7-11 for 'groceries' partly to save fuel, partly cuz i felt crappy ..didn't get Donuts, partly to save fuel, partly cuz Donuts are EVIL /stopped at a store for worms and when they didn't have any, i asked them to call another store rather than driving there ..something i wouldn't have done, but not entirely about the fuel )

...just no serious effect yet. Suppose it could get there

=

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13367 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 11:54 PM
. When winter comes, I guess I can burn more wood and pollute the earth, but save natural gas usage. I don't think there is a shortage of natural gas is there?

by winter? could be.

and fuel oil could be devastating.

I am keeping my gas guzzler which I love and it is paid for. I am not going to as many dog shows which involve travel.

that could be Significant. />:

=

Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13368 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 1:12 AM
When I look at my own monthly budget, gas for the car peaked at about 3% of our monthly income. That doesn't count CycleSpouse's truck fuel, however, because that's a business expense.

Getting the scooter out in rainy May-June will probably bring that 3% down to a lower number. Who knows, maybe 2% or so. However, it's not like it makes a meaningful difference in our financial well-being, I'm just a saver. I mean, I use a coupon when we get take and bake pizza, too....

Anyway, before oil prices went crazy, CycleSpouse and I talked about several road trips this summer. Mount Saint Helens, the Sea Lion Caves, the Impressionist Exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum, some of the area waterfalls... The price of fuel will definitely not stop us from going on any of those trips.

We're in the process of buying a new (used) car. We think that the Acura will get around 30+ mpg on the freeway. So, a 466 mile RT to Seattle will use 15.5 gallons of gas at $4.20 = $65. Other travel expenses: hotel, a nice dinner, a lunch or two, tickets to the museum... will add up to a lot more than the gas bill. I guess I'm echoing what telegraph said here.

I guess the bottom line is that we feel that road trips around the PNW are still a bargain compared to traditional fly-to-a-destination vacations.

Umm.... trying to find my way back to the original subject. I guess that for myself, I'm trying to save gas on mundane trips but when it comes to special trips, we're not sacrificing any of them. We can afford it.

CG

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13372 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 7:24 AM
I'm probably average overall in what I do energy-wise:

- We put only about 5,000 miles apiece on our cars per year--and one is a Prius, but another 9,000 on the RV over the past year. My husband spent the past week installing a towing hitch on the RV and Honda so we can tow. That way we can visit people, sight-see, and run errands at much better than 10 mpg--and reduce the annual RV mileage by about 40%.

- We boon-dock often in our RV (camp without hook-ups so no pulling electricity from the grid).

- We turn off the surge protectors/power strips to electronic devices when we're away (we're away about 1/4 of the time). We also leave the house set to Cool to 82 in summer and Heat to 55 in winter (and Off in spring and fall) when we're away. On the other hand, with my health issues and aging body, I use more heat and A/C than I used to when I'm at home--usually cool to 75 day and night, and heat to 70 day and 65 night.

- There are some easy things that I can't do; for example, I can't line-dry clothing outdoors due to severe allergies. But I do dry my gentle wash indoors without using the dryer. And I barely dry other clothes (you can tell by whether you get static or not--static means the clothes have been over-dried). I use a front-loader washing machine and only wash full loads (ditto with the dishwasher).

- FUTURE: We're very happy with the solar panels on our RV and would love to implement something similar on our house, either passive solar hot water, solar electricity, or both. We'd have to remove a big ole oak tree on the south side first. Actually, I'd like to downsize my house.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13373 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 7:35 AM
I forgot to mention what may be the most important thing we do to save energy--and perhaps our lives: We drive at or under the speed limit (occasional exceptions for safety reasons).

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13374 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 7:41 AM
Oh, I thought of more! I use a thermal cooker, which is like a crock pot that doesn't use electricity (a giant thermos, best for cooking soup and dried beans, anything that can take a lot of liquid) and a pressure cooker. I also use my oven pretty rarely. I mostly make meals that cook quickly on the stove top or the propane grill.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13375 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 10:13 AM
I forgot to mention what may be the most important thing we do to save energy--and perhaps our lives: We drive at or under the speed limit (occasional exceptions for safety reasons).

--------------------------

Heh.
NOTHING seems to infuriate other drivers than actually driving the speed limit.

They seem to feel that the LIMIT is just a suggestion.

AM

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13376 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 10:17 AM
Which brings me to something I've been wondering about lately: What is the absolute ideal speed for getting the most mileage per gallon from your vehicle?

There has to be a point of diminishing returns -- and a point where you are just sucking it down. I'd like to know the ideal/perfect speed for getting every last inch of mileage out of a gallon of gas.

How would you figure that out?
Or...who would know?

AM

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13377 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 10:18 AM
Also... I'm not talking about coasting.
Or turning off the ignition at a red light - or anything unusual for the average driver.

I'm just talking about the best speed to aim for to get the best mileage.

AM

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13379 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 12:40 PM
I am sure that information is out there if you google it. Used to be driving 55mph on the highway saves gas. That is the speed every state (almost) went to after the 70's gas wars. Then they kept it because accidents went down. But 65-70mph is now the norm. I don't think there is any upside to any lower speeds in town. Normally can't go over 25-45mph.

~Birgit

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13380 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 12:49 PM
I am sure that information is out there if you google it. Used to be driving 55mph on the highway saves gas.

Now that you mention it, I remember that, too.
So if we drive the RV about 50 - 55 mph... we should get the best mileage possible (or pretty close, I guess).

AM

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13381 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 12:49 PM
"I'm just talking about the best speed to aim for to get the best mileage."

It's more than the 'best speed'. That depends on the vehicle, gear ratios, engine, type of vehicle (van, sports car, pickup truck).

Most get best mileage probably around 45-50 mph....

More important in city driving is how fast you accelerate, and when you shift (if a manual transmission), how little you have to brake, not running the a/c on high (or even running it much), keeping windows on car shut, etc.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13382 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 12:52 PM
These are the folks who can tell you how to do it..

Hypermilers

http://www.hypermiling.com/phpBB3/index.php

t

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13383 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 12:52 PM
<<I am sure that information is out there if you google it. Used to be driving 55mph on the highway saves gas. That is the speed every state (almost) went to after the 70's gas wars. Then they kept it because accidents went down. But 65-70mph is now the norm. I don't think there is any upside to any lower speeds in town. Normally can't go over 25-45mph.

~Birgit
>>

Every state adopted the 55 MPH speed limit because the Feds required it. Those who tried to refuse were threatened with cutoffs of Federal subsidies. As soon as the Feds repealed that requirement, every state increased their speed limit, as far as I'm aware.

Slower speeds might reduce highway deaths somewhat, but that's a cost Americans are quite willing to pay, from all the evidence.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13384 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 1:00 PM
MOre hyper milers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18923454/

"The passion that burns in Laurie With isn’t visible until she gets behind the wheel of her Honda Civic hybrid — and drives real slow.

She accelerates gently when the light turns green, and coasts down hills to save gas. On highways, she stays in the right lane and watches the big SUVs zoom past."

She is part of a small and extremely dedicated group of drivers around the country who call themselves “hypermilers.” They almost exclusively drive hybrid vehicles, and their goal is simple: squeeze every mile they can out of each drop of gas.

Some of their tips are a matter of common sense and could help any driver, especially now, with gas climbing past $3 a gallon: avoiding jackrabbit starts, using alternate routes to avoid stop-and-go traffic, anticipating lights and driving a bit more slowly.

But those are just a start. Hypermilers slightly overinflate their tires to cut rolling resistance, seize every chance to coast with their gasoline engines off, and sometimes “draft” like race cars behind larger vehicles."

t

Author: alaskack Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13385 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 1:11 PM
I just finished a college visit road trip with a son in a rental car. The best mileage as reported by the car was after passing a slower car at 70-90 mph and then coasting back to the 60-65 mph speed limit where the cruise control was set. This even beat a section of 55 mph road with the cruise control set at 55-57 mph. I'm thinking that accelerating to a high speed and then coasting is more efficient. Of course this isn’t always realistic, but on some of the passes we coasted for almost a mile before the cruise control kicked in.

Calvin

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13386 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 1:49 PM
Or...who would know?

Rebecca would know.

-
..probably greeked

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13387 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 1:56 PM
So if we drive the RV about 50 - 55 mph... we should get the best mileage possible (or pretty close, I guess).

no.

that "55" was for average car (and maybe fudged since folks would squeal if they'd said 45)

it's SO dependent on the aerodynamics and individual aspects of the vehicle ... if your tyres are overinflated by 3# or Sylvie's in the shower, the number changes.

there's some crude number ±5 ,say, for YOUR RV, but could be as low as 30 or as high as 70

(>

..... long thread about this somewhere recently .. and since you and i read the same boards ...

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13388 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 2:11 PM
Or...who would know?

Rebecca would know.

-
..probably greeked

---------------

Wrong board. ;o)

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13389 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 3:02 PM
..probably greeked

---------------

Wrong board. ;o)

o

(> b

... has excuses

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13390 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 4:10 PM
...I'm just talking about the best speed to aim for to get the best mileage...

But are you forgetting that by going the maximum or over the maximum speed limit you will get to your destination 30 seconds/10-miles sooner :(

TB

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13391 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 4:15 PM
...I ride my scooter because I want to save money on gas...

If you have gone or will have driven your scooter/motorcycle for 3-years without an accident, you will be the first person that I know of who has.

Good luck,

TB

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13393 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 4:28 PM
Recommendations: 2
Which brings me to something I've been wondering about lately: What is the absolute ideal speed for getting the most mileage per gallon from your vehicle?

There has to be a point of diminishing returns -- and a point where you are just sucking it down. I'd like to know the ideal/perfect speed for getting every last inch of mileage out of a gallon of gas.

Or...who would know?

AM

AM, if you really want to know best speed under all circumstances, get a flow meter added to your RVs dash. Best are marine flow meters because they are accurate. Example at www.dbmarine.com/sales/product-mfg-all.asp?M=Floscan

What they measure is fuel burn in gallons per hour and amount remaining (you have to reset at fill up to get that latter).

I am sure there’s an auto after-market unit available yet check out a marine dealer near you to compare price.

MichaelR

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13394 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 4:51 PM

AM, if you really want to know best speed under all circumstances, get a flow meter added to your RVs dash. Best are marine flow meters because they are accurate. Example at
www.dbmarine.com/sales/product-mfg-all.asp?M=Floscan

What they measure is fuel burn in gallons per hour and amount remaining (you have to reset at fill up to get that latter).

couple vehicles back i (yes, moi!) installed a vacuum meter ..purported to show 'mileage' (based on how hard the carb was sucking?)

my old clunker Bimmer has a gauge under speedo that purports to measure
mileage. no idea how.
BUT ,assuming it's at all accurate, seems best mileage is when i'm barely touching the throttle.

Dad used to say best mileage was at a certain RPM, 'which any fool can hear' (he'd point at the tach and say, 'hear that? that's your power range.. that? that's your economy range' )

=b
.... thinking gal/hr is only useful when added to mph [mpg = mph/(gal/hr) ? ]

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13395 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 4:54 PM
Thanks, Michael ... but not sure I want to know bad enough to buy something for it. I feel tapped out right now. Guy just left the house after putting in a new windshield in the Subaru. A day or two ago I had to have the oil changed in it... and the A/C zapped so it would work.

Had to buy new alternator for the Mercedes.

I'm ready for the poor house. :(

AM

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13396 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 6:25 PM

AM

Our Chevy Venture has a gadget that gives us fuel mileage. It should be an easy thing to find an isolated stretch of level road, and just drive at a constant speed and check the "instantaneous" mileage, then change the speed and re-record the mileage.

At a guess, the best mileage would be at the slowest speed where your transmission is in the highest gear, without lugging the engine.

I don't plan to do that experiment, btw. Maybe some day on a trip to Vegas. But one might run over if driving too slowly on that highway.

cliff

Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13397 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 10:03 PM
AngelMay wrote:

For the RV, that's probably right.

In the real world, I suspect that the people who use the most gas on the freeway are the people who go as fast as they can in traffic. The reason is that after just a few minutes, they will surely encounter slower cars ahead and be forced to slow down. Then they will speed up again once they get around.

I personally try to find a speed that I can set the cruise control that requires a minimal amount of intervention. In other words, at the speed of traffic. As long as the car has "tall" gears and is aerodynamic it should get good gas mileage even at higher speeds, such as 65-70. I also feel that driving at the speed of traffic is reasonably safe even if that speed is 3-5 miles over the limit.

I wouldn't expect an RV to get good mileage at higher speeds due to aerodynamics, but I'm just guessing.

CG

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13399 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 10:36 PM
So if we drive the RV about 50 - 55 mph

In my experience, most RVs go too fast for you to pass them on the straightaways, then slow to 3 mph for every curve on the backroads, making it impossible to get to your motel before dark. No doubt you are one of those offenders.

--fleg

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13403 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 1:03 AM
So if we drive the RV about 50 - 55 mph

In my experience, most RVs go too fast for you to pass them on the straightaways, then slow to 3 mph for every curve on the backroads, making it impossible to get to your motel before dark. No doubt you are one of those offenders.

--fleg

--------------------------------

I'm going to answer this rude post, and then I'm going to p-box you - finally. So don't bother to reply.

My answer is that I don't yet know if I'm one of those offenders because we haven't yet gone anywhere in the RV. I'm pretty sure, though, that we will be able to manage a few miles faster than 3 mph. At whatever speed we do drive, however, it will be legal -- whether people like you like it or not. Even if you never get to your "motel".

Ciao.

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13404 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 1:15 AM
My answer is that I don't yet know if I'm one of those offenders because we haven't yet gone anywhere in the RV. I'm pretty sure, though, that we will be able to manage a few miles faster than 3 mph. At whatever speed we do drive, however, it will be legal -- whether people like you like it or not. Even if you never get to your "motel".

heh.

now ...if you EVER find yourself with someone behind your RV, seeming impatient ... you can slow down a skosh, imagine it's f- back there, relax, and SERIOUSLY enjoy yourself.

=

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13405 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 1:16 AM

heh.

now ...if you EVER find yourself with someone behind your RV, seeming impatient ... you can slow down a skosh, imagine it's f- back there, relax, and SERIOUSLY enjoy yourself.

----------------

What a perfectly lovely idea. :)
Thanks!

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13406 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 1:21 AM

and people say i'm not Sweet and Perky !

=b

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13407 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 11:11 AM
Also... I'm not talking about coasting.
Or turning off the ignition at a red light - or anything unusual for the average driver.

I'm just talking about the best speed to aim for to get the best mileage.

AM

Nothing past 60 mph. I know when I was riding my Harley, if I went past 60, the wind resistance of my helmut caused my neck to go back....very uncomfortable but is indicative of the wind drag.

Keep the thing clean also cuts down on drag too.

You could always park in the yard and build a deck around it and have a small swimming pool and you could have your outdoor adventures and save on gas at the same time. :)

LuckyDog

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13408 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 11:36 AM
You could always park in the yard and build a deck around it and have a small swimming pool and you could have your outdoor adventures and save on gas at the same time. :)

LuckyDog

------------------

LOL!
Or... I could just drive about 4 miles from my house and end up here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Fort+Worden+State+Park%20Por...

Always thought it would be fun to go there and when other RVers ask where we are from.... Heh.

AM

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13409 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 11:41 AM
I'm going to answer this rude post

I have to admit that it was rude, and for that I apologize. I was intending it to come out in a joking fashion such as, "So that was probably you who kept me from reaching my motel before dark," or some such. Obviously I failed in that endeavor.

and then I'm going to p-box you

Oh, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

--fleg

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13410 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 3:02 PM
<<LOL!

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Fort+Worden+State+Park%20Por......

Always thought it would be fun to go there and when other RVers ask where we are from.... Heh.

AM

>>

I was standing on the dock that's in the third picture down from the top. I happened to look down into the water and saw a thirty foot long gray whale swim by under water. I never saw him come up to breath, and it's the only time I've ever seen a gray whale.

Perhaps it's worth noting that the fortifications pictured were filmed in the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman."

Fort Worden is a fine state park. There a nice Youth Hostel in one of the old army barracks.

It's also worth noting that travel to Port Townsned may be had on public transit from Seattle or Sea Tac Airport for a few dollars plus ferry fare.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13411 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 3:44 PM
Looks beautiful to me Angel May....love those sunset pictures. :)

LD

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13412 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 4:14 PM
Looks beautiful to me Angel May....love those sunset pictures. :)

LD

-------------------

Yeah...we get great sunsets here.
I have a nice view from my house down the strait and I get those sunsets every evening. It's like a painting. Very nice.

AM

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13413 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 4:14 PM
>I>My answer is that I don't yet know if I'm one of those offenders because we haven't yet gone anywhere in the RV. I'm pretty sure, though, that we will be able to manage a few miles faster than 3 mph. At whatever speed we do drive, however, it will be legal -- whether people like you like it or not. Even if you never get to your "motel".

heh.

----------------
Thanks!

AM

In my Weltanschauung, if there is a slower vehicle, it will accumulate a train behind it. To me. simple courtesy would say to pull over and let them by if the train gets to (say) five cars. Of course, be sure it's safe to do so, and that there is room to get back on the road. Has nothing to do with the speed limit. Typically, the train accumulates is slow stretches of road. If the slow vehicle sppeds up in the staraigt, level stretches to the speed limit, he is rude, because he is preventing the other cars from passing. My 2¢. (Still the same low price!)

cliff

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13414 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/13/2008 5:11 PM

In my Weltanschauung, if there is a slower vehicle, it will accumulate a train behind it. To me. simple courtesy would say to pull over and let them by if the train gets to (say) five cars.

law in many states says when the train is four, you're required to pull over.

not always easy ... trying not to clot up traffic too much, little notice for the turnout & the Republican tail-gating.

i generally start trying to find a turn-out when train is two ..sometimes even one.
( and yeah ..stay slow on a straight long enough to allow passing )

-b
... but maybe i'll now change my ways.

Author: lggie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13424 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/14/2008 5:15 PM
Yes, I am driving less...because Adam Smith's invisible hand has been in my wallet.....not because of Algore's preaching, not because I'm a greenie.

The evil oil speculators accomplished more that 100 million greenies.

Iggie

Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13431 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/15/2008 12:23 PM
AngelMay wrote: LOL!

Beautiful pictures, AngelMay. It's been far too long since I've been on the west side of the Sound!

CycleSpouse and I were down on Oregon coast a couple of weeks ago and watched the seals for about an hour. What a day that was. And me without a camera!!

CG

Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13432 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/15/2008 12:48 PM
0x6a74 wrote: trying not to clot up traffic too much, little notice for the turnout & the Republican tail-gating.

I never realized that it was people of different political point-of-view that were tail-gating me. Thanks for clearing that up.

All of this time, I assumed their poor judgment was due to the fact of their race, religion or gender. I figured that was what caused them to be inferior.

Now I know that once you identify that someone is a Republican, you can be sure the person will be someone of inferior moral character and questionable judgment.

From now on, when I see a tail-gater in the mirror, I won't shout "Damn Estonian-Buddist!" I will shout "Damn Republican!"

;-)

CG

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13434 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/15/2008 1:48 PM
AngelMay wrote: LOL!

Beautiful pictures, AngelMay. It's been far too long since I've been on the west side of the Sound!

CycleSpouse and I were down on Oregon coast a couple of weeks ago and watched the seals for about an hour. What a day that was. And me without a camera!!

CG

-----------------------------

The west coast really is beautiful -- AND -- it's finally summer here! Yesterday was as gorgeous as any summer day on this entire planet. It's the way summer is SUPPOSED to be. Not hot -- but warm sun and absolutely gorgeous. Not even any bugs to "bug" you. ;o)

AM

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13435 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/15/2008 2:07 PM
The west coast really is beautiful -- AND -- it's finally summer here! Yesterday was as gorgeous as any summer day on this entire planet. It's the way summer is SUPPOSED to be. Not hot -- but warm sun and absolutely gorgeous. Not even any bugs to "bug" you. ;o)

AM

------------------------

Forgot to add... there were sailboats in the bay...the water was sparkling...and I sat out on my deck just soaking up the warm sunshine for the first time this year.

Here are a couple of photos taken from my deck:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12683230@N04/?saved=1

These were taken with the awning out.
But yesterday I left the awning rolled up and I just sat out there in the sunshine. Nearly fell asleep...it was so wonderful. :)

I like being retired. <wink, wink>

AM

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13436 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/15/2008 2:19 PM
Ummm. Are you in the vicinity of irondale, AM?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13437 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/15/2008 2:24 PM
0x6a74 wrote: trying not to clot up traffic too much, little notice for the turnout & the Republican tail-gating.

I never realized that it was people of different political point-of-view that were tail-gating me. Thanks for clearing that up.

i'd never thought of it till i read the screed here..

All of this time, I assumed their poor judgment was due to the fact of their race, religion or gender. I figured that was what caused them to be inferior.

that is ,i think, what most think... i'd always thought of it as some random combination of what they had for lunch and early potty-training (but THAT would correlate with political party)

Now I know that once you identify that someone is a Republican, you can be sure the person will be someone of inferior moral character and questionable judgment.

From now on, when I see a tail-gater in the mirror, I won't shout "Damn Estonian-Buddist!" I will shout "Damn Republican!"

;-)

yup.

.... and it works out, cuz now you know they've been yelling "Damn lib/Dem" at you

=

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13441 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/15/2008 2:39 PM
Ummm. Are you in the vicinity of irondale, AM?

Seattle Pioneer

-----------------------

No.... closer to Ft. Worden than to Irondale.

AM

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13694 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 7/15/2008 2:25 PM
At this point, 65% of people have said that they've made no significant changes.

I'm already doing just about everything possible since the LAST energy/water crisis. Not much room to do more.

Although I am thinking of putting up a solar clothes dryer.

Vickifool

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13695 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 7/15/2008 2:37 PM
Although I am thinking of putting up a solar clothes dryer.

izzat what ,in the olden days, we called a "clothes line"?

=b

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13699 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 7/15/2008 5:57 PM
Vicki: Although I am thinking of putting up a solar clothes dryer.

jp: izzat what ,in the olden days, we called a "clothes line"?

Ah, memories! As kid many years ago, one of my jobs was to take the clean clothes and hang them on the clothes line. When they were dry, I would bring them in. On a hot summer day, that was one trip. Take them out, hang them up, go to where I started and take them down. They would be dry in the time it took to finish hanging a load. We are talking 100+ degrees, and 15% relative humidity in north central Texas. But even in winter, the clothes might freeze, but still be dry in a half hour.

cliff

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13700 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 7/15/2008 6:12 PM
Ah, memories! As kid many years ago, one of my jobs was to take the clean clothes and hang them on the clothes line. When they were dry, I would bring them in. On a hot summer day, that was one trip. Take them out, hang them up, go to where I started and take them down. They would be dry in the time it took to finish hanging a load.

heh.

i believe it.

-b
....don't recall what we did in Winter

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13702 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 7/16/2008 3:13 PM

yep. Gotta keep up with the language changes.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13703 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 7/16/2008 4:01 PM

yep. Gotta keep up with the language changes.

it's tough if you're not around teenagers ..

(>:

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement