Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PAULTHENURSE Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 51532  
Subject: Poll: Hot stove league questions Date: 12/6/2002 6:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I hate the DH! It makes a mockery of the game!
I love the DH. It allows great players to stay in the game.
I don't care, but just once I want to see Pedro up to bat!
Oh ya, the DH rule. They have that in the other league, right?
I wish PTN would stop with the stupid polls and just go to Aruba.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: PAULTHENURSE Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7085 of 51532
Subject: Re: Poll: Hot stove league questions Date: 12/6/2002 6:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
For what its worth, I voted to send me to Aruba.
PTN

Author: GrandSalami Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7086 of 51532
Subject: Re: Poll: Hot stove league questions Date: 12/6/2002 12:07 PM
I'm pro-DH, but not in a huge way. Yes, I'm an AL fan and would much rather watch Edgar Martinez hit than, say, Freddy Garcia. But I understand people who don't like the DH, too. My biggest complaint is that the two leagues have different rules, which is a big load of crap if you ask me. Different rules in the same sport? How ridiculous.

It's time for the NL to come around and live in the now, I say.

jason

Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7087 of 51532
Subject: Re: Poll: Hot stove league questions Date: 12/6/2002 12:11 PM
My biggest complaint is that the two leagues have different rules, which is a big load of crap if you ask me.

So do you think the CFL or the NFL should give on the number of downs and the size of the field?

Author: GrandSalami Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7088 of 51532
Subject: Re: Poll: Hot stove league questions Date: 12/6/2002 12:15 PM
Recommendations: 3
My biggest complaint is that the two leagues have different rules, which is a big load of crap if you ask me.

So do you think the CFL or the NFL should give on the number of downs and the size of the field?

Well there's a softball of a question if ever there was one -- the CFL and NFL don't play each other. Let those wacky Canadians do as they please. The American League and National League, on the other hand, face off in interleague play and the World Series.

You'll notice the AFC and NFC don't have different rules, for example, nor do the NBA's Eastern and Western conferences.

jason

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7089 of 51532
Subject: Re: Poll: Hot stove league questions Date: 12/6/2002 12:25 PM
Recommendations: 1
It's time for the NL to come around and live in the now, I say.

Or it's time for the AL to give up and admit it doesn't play real baseball.

Carol......wanted to vote at least three times (#1, #4, and #5, of course)

Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7090 of 51532
Subject: Re: Poll: Hot stove league questions Date: 12/6/2002 12:31 PM
The American League and National League, on the other hand, face off in interleague play and the World Series.

I think interleague play is the biggest blotch on baseball pretty much since forever. The 2 leagues were always different leagues, and they only met once a year for a final championship. Whenever the rules varied, in that championship they would play by the home team's rules. What's the problem w/ that?

The AFC and NFC are in the same league, as are the NBA's eastern and western conferences, each side is pretty thoroughly scheduled into the other side's schedules. If the NFL NBA and NHL were marketing inter-conference play as a big deal, I would wonder what the hell was up.

Author: Ubiquitously Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7092 of 51532
Subject: Re: Poll: Hot stove league questions Date: 12/6/2002 4:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
Or it's time for the AL to give up and admit it doesn't play real baseball.

Carol......wanted to vote at least three times (#1, #4, and #5, of course)

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I have been a DH hater since way way back and I also wanted to vote for both #1 and #4. I ended up voting #1 because of its stronger language. I figured Paul would get used to the snow soon enough so unless he takes me with him to Aruba, I wouldn't vote #5.

HardyWeinberg - You said it perfectly, interleague play is the worst! It's bad enough when guys who should be on beer league teams are still hanging on in the big leagues, but then to screw up all those years of tradition just so you can get a White Sox - Marlins matchup? Sheesh.

GrandSalami - I certainly appreciate your point of view as well. If I was a fan of Edgar Martinez, I would certainly want to watch him for as long as I could. I just feel that baseball should be played by 9 guys and that includes the pitcher taking his lumps at the plate.

I have had a discussion similar to this with a friend of mine regarding Hockey. The NHL, as a way of trying to be more exciting to more people has trashed many old traditions, and the game is the worst for it. I think the same thing with Baseball. If you trash the traditions to try to appeal to a larger demographic, then you lose the historic appeal of the game. The DH was the first blow in the razing of the game.

Roger

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7093 of 51532
Subject: Re: Poll: Hot stove league questions Date: 12/6/2002 4:50 PM
Recommendations: 2
Having grown up in an AL town, I used to be in favor of the DH. I much preferred to watch Harold Baines or Hal McRae up at the plate than Paul Splitorff of LaMarr Hoyt, because baseball used to be capable of having 4-3 games.

Between steroids, bandbox parks, corked bats and the golf balls they're hitting, scores are ridiculous. I can't remember the last time we saw a full tilt of games and went a whole day without seeing at least one team score more than 10 runs. Strategy is dead.

Get rid of the DH.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement