Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Poll: How do you spend your time in retirement? Date: 1/21/2012 10:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Retirees only...to what activity do you devote the lion's sharer of your time?
People (seeing them, talking to them, doing stuff with them)
Reading books/ebooks
Internet (reading and/or posting online)
Arts/crafts (creating or appreciating)
Other (do tell!)

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17567 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Heh...I was interrupted by a phone call (the hubster calling to tell me he loves me :-) and lost my train of thought. I had intended to include a category for Making Plans, something I spend a lot more time on than I did while working, whether travel plans, cooking plans, shopping plans, financial plans, or what have you. Plus I realize that most people watch a lot more TV than I do so I should've had a category for TV/movies, but at least in some cases, that could be considered part of the arts, as much as my current reading anyway (as a result of a Christmas present, I've been spending a lot of time reading contemporary Regency novels, such as sequels/retellings of Jane Austen books...er, chick lit ;-)

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17568 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 10:34 AM
Recommendations: 2
Golf, golf and more golf. (Did I mention golf?)

Regards,

ImAGolfer (Retired 2003)

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17569 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 10:42 AM
Recommendations: 3
Working toward a state in which they have to put a mirror under my nose to be sure.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17570 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 11:30 AM
Clearly I needed a category for Sports/Exercise. Between watching and participating, I'm sure a lot of male Retirees especially are indulging their passion for muscle flexing.

Author: CountUptotenII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17571 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 12:48 PM
Recommendations: 3
Hard to make a meaningful poll on this subject at The Fool. For most of us, it's not a single pursuit. For me, its The Internet, my garden, travel, and books. Very little TV.

Count Uptoten

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17572 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 1:48 PM
The main thing I've been doing is improving my Spanish. To that end I've spent 35 weeks since retiring at the end of 2000 in Spanish-speaking countries on my own studying and travelling around. Not all at once, unfortunately, which is what it would take to get totally fluent, but in bits of 2, 3 or 4 weeks at a time. I spent an additional nine weeks over several trips with DW doing more touristy things.

I went back to school six months after retiring and got a B.A. in Spanish. I did a medical interpretation program and currently do volunteer interpreting at a clinic that serves poor patients. I'm taking a private Spanish lit class. I belong to an intercultural exchange group that connects Oregon with Costa Rica. I've been down for two different months with that program and I am preparing to head down in February to teach English for two weeks while being hosted by local families, some of whom I know from previous experiences with the group. We've also hosted a Costa Rican couple in our home, as well as an individual artist when they did an artist exchange.

I really need to watch more Univisión and Telemundo for the listening practice but so far haven't managed to do so. I can't do it in the evening (DW doesn't speak Spanish) and it doesn't seem right to watch TV in the daytime.

I also volunteer on the selection committee of one of the Habitat for Humanity chapters around here.

Other than that, I spend a lot of time reading online and doing some posting. Excercise consists of walks (I loved to run but it started messing with my back 20 years ago) and do a little weight lifting at home -- not very time-consuming.

--fleg

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17573 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 2:20 PM
<<I went back to school six months after retiring and got a B.A. in Spanish. I did a medical interpretation program and currently do volunteer interpreting at a clinic that serves poor patients. >>

Hello fleg,

Has this kind of contact influenced your opinions about heavy rates of Hispanic immigration into the United States, and if so, how?

Any policy recommendations you have based on your observations?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17574 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 3:42 PM
I suppose it is part of the people category, but I think many would include volunteering on the list. I know people who spend virtually full time volunteering.

It would be interesting to split out under people family (spouse, parents, kids, grandkids, extended family) and non-family. Volunteering for most goes into the non-family category, and some can have that number large.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17575 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 4:51 PM
have a rec, not just for your interesting hobby--and your devotion to it, and how well you write about it, but for mentioning that it doesn't seems right to watch TV in the daytime(!).

I have the same queasiness, though managed to overcome it: first when I was on disability leave in the mid90s and discovered Northern Exposure reruns every afternoon. I had never seen the show when it was first on and really enjoyed it--especially while I was on Vicodin ;-) A couple of years ago I discovered daily Numb3rs reruns, another show Id never seen before and enjoyed, no Vicodin required ;-)

Author: Snowytenn2 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17576 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 6:51 PM
Other -- volunteer work at a thrift shop that supports our local battered women's shelter and other good causes. A wonderful way to do something worthwile with your time, lots of social interaction, and every now and then I find a worthwhile bargan. Volunteering is great, you generally can choose the hours you work, take vacations whenever you're in the mood, and if you don't like the people or the work you can move on to another place. Everyone's looking for good volunteers.

Jim

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17577 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 8:12 PM
I think many would include volunteering on the list.

Oh, yea, I do some of that one afternoon a week at a local hospital. Been doing it for 7-8 years now.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired 2003)

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17578 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/21/2012 11:38 PM
Golly, I am busier than ever it seems.

I have been passionately involved in photography for the last 10 years. Computers led me to developing websites and I have three sites for whom I volunteer my time, talent, and photos, plus another paid site and my own. I do photo shoots for some dog shows and events.

I have five dogs, one very old one that requires a lot of care, and two of which I train in Obedience and Rally. Everyone is neutered now, no more puppies for me.

I spend considerable time gardening in spring/summer. And...since my business no longer keeps me that busy, I opened up a store at Zazzle.com under my woodlandesigns name. That alone has been a challenge and a lot of fun.

I also spend quite a bit of time on the internet...or I wouldn't be here posting;)

Happy Looonnng retirement to all....

Birgit

Author: dbphd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17579 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 1/23/2012 5:40 AM
We have a high quality TV in the living room and projection-based HT in the media room. Couple that with HD-DVRs and premium satellite service and hours of entertainment and enlightenment are available daily. Then there is time on the internet. Add in exercising our dog and preparing meals and the day seems pretty full. We live a block from the beach, so walking there is another diversion. Seems like a pretty happy life to me!

db

Author: trader2012 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17608 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 3/9/2012 4:33 PM
Retirement? What's that?

Yeah, I "retired", meaning, I quit my last job at age 62 and took my pension. But I'm working as much as ever, trading for my own account. The boss is nicer, and the hours are more flexible. But if I don't put in my 20 a week, I won't get paid.

I could live comfortably on my pension alone if I chose to. But my investing efforts offer twice that, creating surplus capital that has to be put back to work. I could hire someone to do it. But why not do it myself? So, conventionally, it could be said that I've "retired". But a more accurate description would be that I've merely changed jobs.

This means I have no more, but no less, free-time than before, because I never averaged more than 25 hours/week over my 30-year industrial career of doing project work in which we were sometimes working 12's, seven days a week, and sometimes, between projects, we were off for months at a time. That meant, for example, that I had time to take my kids camping and be a part of their lives in ways that a regular 40-50 hour workweek and its brief weekends wouldn't have allowed.

One time-luxury I do allow myself in "retirement" is a daily afternoon walk or bike ride. But, in fact, it isn't a luxury or all. No matter how fun or satisfying they might be, those hours doing my daily miles are a necessity. As my doctor nagged me year after year at my annual physical, "If you don't want to walk like an old man when you get to be an old man, you'd better start walking now." Supposedly, even 30 minutes of exercise, 3 times a week, will make a significant difference. But I'm logging closer to 90 minutes of exercise every day, and it's time I'd be reluctant to forgo just for the chance to make more money.

Charlie

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17630 of 19257
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you spend your time in retireme Date: 3/25/2012 4:52 PM
I start with :
*morning walk with a neighbor at 6.30 a.m.
*then either physio therapy, water aerobics
*preschool grandshildren's car pool,
*make sure there is food for DH lunch ( still working but home office) (We were married "for better for worse but not for lunch" nearly 45 years ago)
* volunteering Caring Committee,Food Bank, and teaching Citizenship
* reg. babysitting 1,2 or 3 pre school grandsons, being on call as well
* reading, listening to music, cooking, gardening, writing
* a little internet
* household stuff Grrrr
* friends
* season tickets to theater, DH sings major works with a choir, Book
Club, Discussion Group ( been going 30 years )
* two major trips a year ( this year, South America and New
Zealand/Australia)
* Ashland Oregon for theater every year, for 4 days/5 plays
* too busy to find my next real purpose in life to help humanity
..but will go back to Chinese class and maybe guitar this year
* Rarely watch TV,just Downton Abbey, 60 Minutes with Sunday supper, DH's beloved European/English soccer games.
* Discussing new ideas from DH's work

and lazing around feeding the ducks or talking to my flowers if anyone gives me the time. I LOVE my own company.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement