Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Jammer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35757  
Subject: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 7:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Oral contraceptive -- before or after.
Surgery -- sniped, tied or removed.
Barrier method -- inserting or covering.
Gay -- taste great, less filling.
No sex -- choice or not gettin any.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPez Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3814 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 10:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I selected "Surgery" because I have norplant - probably not the surgery you were thinking of. A better category (rather than oral) might have been medical so that it would cover Norplant and Depo Provera.

Becky

Author: Jammer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3816 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 10:40 AM
TMFPez:

I selected "Surgery" because I have norplant - probably not the surgery you were thinking of. A better category (rather than oral) might have been medical so that it would cover Norplant and Depo Provera.

Good point, thanks for mentioning it. I'm sure there are others I have forgotten as well and I hope people bring them up.

I don't know why I'm so interested in all this. Wish I had a life.

Jammer2

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3817 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 10:58 AM
>> A better category (rather than oral) might have been medical so that it would cover Norplant and Depo Provera. <<

Speaking of which...are any of y'all on Depo? It seems to *really* screw up some people.

One of the guys who was getting snipped at about the time I did said that he'd undergo the vasectomy with a rusty scalpel and no anesthesia if it meant getting his wife off of Depo... :-)

Author: TMFPez Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3818 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 11:59 AM
I was on Depo for three monthes, and did not like it. I wasn't "normal" for quite a while after that (probably didn't help that I was on the Pill). I've been on Norplant for almost a year now and am just starting to level out. Its the best method for me because it requires the least maintainence and has the least amount of human error possible.

Becky

ps. I tried to spare all of the gross details ;)

Author: Jammer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3820 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 12:03 PM
TMFPez:

The only gross thing I found with Norplant it stroking her arm and felling the ridges. Yuck!

My wife did the Norplant thing for five years. I don't believe she had a problem with it except that it may have contributed to her weight gain. At the same time, however, we were eating out more and growing older, so it's hard to tell.

Jammer2

Author: washu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3821 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 12:03 PM
<< I'm interested on how the people on this board manage to stay childless. >>

Hang around with smart*ss women, lol.

Washu! ^O^

Author: Scorn6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3825 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 1:48 PM

I was hoping for some gross details! Is it hormonal problems? I've been on the pill so long (13+ years) I have no idea if it affects my personality at all. I'm sure a lot of people would like to think so <g>.

Author: seattlerecruiter One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3826 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 1:49 PM
Speaking of which...are any of y'all on Depo? It seems to *really* screw up some people.

I just went off depo 5 days ago after 2 years on. Absolutely loved it, with the exception of the 25lbs I gained in those 2 years. Jog 5 days a week, eat healthy, nothing worked. I can't blame it on "getting older", as I was on it from ages 20-22.

I heard a joke about how depo works, it makes you so fat and unattractive that no one will have sex with you!

My doctor cited weight gain as the #1 reason people stop using it.

So, I'm back on the pill, trying to find my waist again. Overall, weight gain is very common on depo, but it also reduces your good cholesterol and sucks the calcium out of your bones. I'd say for most people the problems outweigh the convenience. (pun intended)

- SR

Author: TheLucidDreamer Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3827 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 2:07 PM
Recommendations: 3
I have no idea if it affects my personality at all.

===

Yes, it does.
Weirdo.

Dreamer (hormonally stable)

Author: Camille9847 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3831 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 3:43 PM
I voted option one, but it's a pain in the rear to remember to take the thing every day (I keep the pills on top of my contact lens case so I *have* to see them every morning). We also use barrier--what can i say, we're paranoid! I'm seriously considering switching back to Depo (which wasn't an option on your poll) as I don't have any probs with shots, I don't have side effects with it, and I only have to fuss with it once every 3 months.

Camille

Author: Scorn6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3832 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 3:52 PM
I voted option one, but it's a pain in the rear to remember to take the thing every day (I keep the pills on top of my contact lens case so I *have* to see them every morning).

I keep mine by the coffee pot!

Author: Tanaratige Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3835 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 6:46 PM
Recommendations: 2
I was hoping for some gross details! Is it hormonal problems? I've been on the pill so
long (13+ years) I have no idea if it affects my personality at all. I'm sure a lot of people
would like to think so <g>.

I took the pill for about 5 years, and then I started having massive problems with ovarian cysts. I argued and argued with my doc. I was in intense pain before the surgery...couldn't even walk...yet the surrogate doc that had recently replaced my regular doc said he didn't want to touch a "woman of child bearing age"'s ovary. Nevermind that I couldn't even walk, let along "make babies". After telling the doc that I didn't want kids anyway, he told me, "ALL women want kids...you WILL change your mind." (he had 6 children himself...bleh!)I ended up giving him the "heave ho" and going back to my childhood doctor and having surgery when I was 23.
The cysts were back 2 months later. All I ever heard from the first doc was that they would change and alter my pills, because "the pill stops cysts". I had heard that before, but nevermind that I was on the pill (and had tried several types) when I got the cysts.
I spoke to a woman gynecologist once, and she told me, "in some women, the pills CAUSE cysts." 1 month later my husband had a vasectomy and I came off the pill. I've never had a problem since, and that has been 3 and a half years ago.
The only thing we regret about the vasectomy was not having it sooner! When people tell me, "oh, you'll change your mind, and you can get vasectomies reversed", I tell them, "not this baby...we had it cut, clipped, and burnt..." and smile a really wicked smile. It creeps them out, but the tend to leave that subject alone. ;)
Tracey

Author: washu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3841 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 8:19 PM
<< So, I'm back on the pill, trying to find my waist again. Overall, weight gain is very common on depo, but it also reduces your good cholesterol and sucks the calcium out of your bones. I'd say for most people the problems outweigh the convenience. (pun intended) >>

Ow! Glad you found an alternative.

Minor miracle how women will put up with some things. That chartreuse flamethrower sounds better and better each day! :/

Washu! ^O^

Author: kwheless Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3842 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/16/2001 9:30 PM
I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had to worry too much about preventing pregnancy, because my body doesn't want to cooperate. I took the pill for a while to "regularize" my periods, and I seemed to have more irregular bleeding than before (sorry to be gross) - and the doctor said "umm, well that usually means it's not working". I guess I'm very glad I found out that way instead of with an unexpected baby.

Karen

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3864 of 35757
Subject: Re: Poll: How do you stay childless Date: 2/19/2001 7:59 AM
Recommendations: 2
Too bad there wasn't a way to pick two options. I'm snipped AND on the Pill.

CK
(aka "Bulletproof")

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement