UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 745895  
Subject: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/27/2002 4:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
Should be wiped off the face of the planet (would anyone notice?)!
Should divide Galeno into 52 pieces, put him in a box, mail him to UN
Should pay reparations equal to 50% of its GDP (about $1,500)
Er, well, its already demilitarized until the next dictator takes over
Should apologize profusely for spawning Galeno...

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64274 of 745895
Subject: Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/27/2002 5:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Commodore64 writes,

Costa Rica MUST take responsibility for inflicting Galeno upon the world.

Costa Rica is so evil it:

Er, well, its already demilitarized until the next dictator takes over

When was the last Costa Rican dictator? If I remember my history correctly, Costa Rica has been a democracy for over 100 years.

intercst

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64279 of 745895
Subject: Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/27/2002 6:12 PM
Recommendations: 3
The big five evils of Costa Ricans:
1. We require much less personal space vs Americans
2. We can tolerate far more noise vs Americans
3. We are 1000 times more thieving vs Americans
4. Our men are passive-aggressive
5. Our women are hysterical

Author: otterrivervalley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64281 of 745895
Subject: Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/27/2002 6:32 PM
Recommendations: 0
you forgot a choice, "all of the above"

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64301 of 745895
Subject: Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/28/2002 10:40 AM
Recommendations: 8
"When was the last Costa Rican dictator? If I remember my history correctly, Costa Rica has been a democracy for over 100 years."

Its been a Democracy for most of the last 150 years, with the occasional break for a dictatorship or civil war (the last occurring in 1948). Relatively stable by south/central American standards. They must be doing something right because they have an elected Libertarian in the equivalent to Congress.

However, when replying to anything Galeno writes, I reserve the right to misrepresent and distort the facts, rant, and exaggerate, just as Galeno does.

jb

Author: nmckay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64311 of 745895
Subject: Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/28/2002 2:47 PM
Recommendations: 0
They do have good pineapples!

nmckay
the kind without the pins in them

Author: Hyperborea Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64325 of 745895
Subject: Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/28/2002 5:08 PM
Recommendations: 5
"When was the last Costa Rican dictator? If I remember my history correctly, Costa Rica has been a democracy for over 100 years."
--------
Its been a Democracy for most of the last 150 years, with the occasional break for a dictatorship or civil war (the last occurring in 1948). Relatively stable by south/central American standards. They must be doing something right because they have an elected Libertarian in the equivalent to Congress.

That beats the current US record. The US too has had a civil war in the last 150 years and the current president was appointed by the federal court. We'll have to see if he transfers power peacefully at the next election or if he invokes some sort of war measures to delay or nullify the election.

Hyperborea

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64340 of 745895
Subject: Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/28/2002 8:25 PM
Recommendations: 4
The US too has had a civil war in the last 150 years and the current president was appointed by the federal court. We'll have to see if he transfers power peacefully at the next election or if he invokes some sort of war measures to delay or nullify the election.

If GWB isn't re-elected, then the terrists have won.

Author: clwe One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64344 of 745895
Subject: Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/28/2002 9:21 PM
Recommendations: 2
Some thoughts on the tranquil life style in Costa Rica...

http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boards.cgi?board=TABLE&read=33814

I've been to Costa Rica a couple of times. I've avoided the SE coast simply because I've always heard it is dirty and full of crime. However, all of the other areas I've explored which entails most of the country, are wild and beautiful.

Due to flight schedules, visitors usually find themselves spending at least one night coming and one going in the capital city of San Jose. As I drove through the city, there were the expected bars on all the windows. Used to seeing this in rough parts of town I give it little attention. However, they didn't disappear when I got well into even the nicest of neighborhoods.

I asked several people about these bars and the consensus reply was pretty straight forward. It seems that there is an element in Costa Rica that feels if an owner deems something important that they will not allow for it to be easily stolen. If they don't lock it tight, they evidently don't value it highly and therefore it should not be a surprise if another decides they "need" it more.

An interesting contrast is Alaska. I've not been updated recently, but the last I heard, it is still uncommon for most to lock their front doors and barred windows are only found on the jail. Personally, I like the Alaskan attitude infinitely better, but shiver thinking about spending a dark winter that far north. Interesting though that the Alaskan people are the warm ones when it comes to respecting others and the Costa Ricans are as cold as the dark winter nights of our northern state.

Author: PMCW

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64380 of 745895
Subject: Re: Poll: How Evil is Costa Rica? Date: 3/29/2002 3:39 PM
Recommendations: 1
"Its been a Democracy for most of the last 150 years, with the occasional break for a dictatorship or civil war (the last occurring in 1948). Relatively stable by south/central American standards. They must be doing something right because they have an elected Libertarian in the equivalent to Congress.

That beats the current US record. The US too has had a civil war in the last 150 years and the current president was appointed by the federal court. We'll have to see if he transfers power peacefully at the next election or if he invokes some sort of war measures to delay or nullify the election.

Hyperborea "

Hmm, why was that addressed to me? I have no interest in your petty Democrat-Republican tit for tat bickering (in case it wasn't obvious, I'm a Libertarian who has no use for EITHER major party).

Having said that, however, I have NO PROBLEMS with the way the 2000 election was resolved.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement