UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76095  
Subject: Poll: I .... this job Date: 2/5/2014 6:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The latest thread suggests a poll. Use this for your latest paid job or the last before retirement.
I really like(d) my job.
I really dislike(d) my job
I neither like(d) nor dislike(d) my job. It's a fair exchange.
Work? The family trust is SO hard to spend.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74205 of 76095
Subject: Re: Poll: I .... this job Date: 2/5/2014 8:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Most people begin their careers eager to prove they can do the job. For many that is a job they like and find rewarding.

Employers like that enthusiasm and sometimes manage to keep promoting their best people so they can continue to grow and enjoy the rewards.

Others get more or less bored with their jobs after awhile. Some manage to keep performing often by setting their own performance goals.

After about age 50, things tend to change as people begin planning for retirement. That is one of the reasons jobs are more difficult to land after age 50. People are more set in their ways, less trainable. So employers tend to hire them to do what they are experienced at.

Books have been written on how to keep people happy on the job. There are some general guidelines but everyone is an individual. Some respond better than others.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74207 of 76095
Subject: Re: Poll: I .... this job Date: 2/5/2014 10:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
Others get more or less bored with their jobs after awhile.

For me, it takes about 5 minutes on the first day.

PSU

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74218 of 76095
Subject: Re: Poll: I .... this job Date: 2/6/2014 8:24 AM
Recommendations: 2
I'm not sure what you are hoping to find out in your poll. I really like my job, but I still can't wait to retire. I've been working for 30+ years, and I'm tired of the daily grind. I would prefer that my time really belongs to me, and that I do not have my days scheduled because I have to be at work. I even find this with volunteer activities, by the way. At some point, I get tired of being on someone else's schedule, and prefer the freedom and flexibility of setting my own schedule and using my time as I see fit.

And it is that part that DH has had a hard time understanding, but finally gets it. Since he is self-employed, he gets to set his own hours. If he'd prefer to go skiing today rather than go to the job, he can just do that. If he wants to go play golf in the summer instead of work on a paid project, he can do that. Granted, he only gets paid when he is working, but he can choose when he wants to put in those hours, and can set expectations accordingly. As someone who works for a large company, I just don't have that flexibility, and find that I end up taking my vacation as a lot of half-days to get in the activities that I want to be doing.

That doesn't mean that I don't like my job. I really do, and I work with a great bunch of people, but that has nothing to do with the fact that I am most definitely ready for the next phase of my life, which is retirement.

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74228 of 76095
Subject: Re: Poll: I .... this job Date: 2/6/2014 4:58 PM
I'm not sure what you are hoping to find out in your poll. I really like my job, but I still can't wait to retire.

You hit MY purpose for the poll. Often people focus on retirement under the assumption that retirees DID NOT enjoy their work. I contend that often it is simply a natural progression of our lives -- moving from one positive to another. "Another" often involves still spending significant time "working" but largely on your terms and often with no or little monitary compensation.

Posters were suggesting that in the previous post and I just wanted to see it quantified.

I too very much liked what I did for pay, but wanted more time on my own.

Bob
RYR Home Fool

Author: progmtl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74234 of 76095
Subject: Re: Poll: I .... this job Date: 2/7/2014 10:47 AM
Recommendations: 3
I really like my job, but I still can't wait to retire. I've been working for 30+ years, and I'm tired of the daily grind.

Well this kind of sums it up, doesn't it?

I voted that I dislike my (current) job. It's not a bad job, and the people aren't bad either (although I work from home). There are some annoying aspects of working for a large company and being a "cog in the machine". But really, it's the requirement that I spend 40+ hours a week doing it that is the problem!

I have a lot of interests and a lot of other constraints on my time (family, house stuff). My weekdays are hectic because of this - fitting in work, childcare, dinner prep, etc. Time spent on my hobbies and interests is woefully lacking.

This is why the advice that "if you don't like your job, just go get a different one" is not really helpful. That other job would ALSO require me to work 40+ hours a week.

Hence my interest in FIRE. I'm well on my way to an early retirement and it feels great.

-progmtl.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74238 of 76095
Subject: Re: Poll: I .... this job Date: 2/9/2014 4:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
I too very much liked what I did for pay, but wanted more time on my own.

The last job I had was truly just that -- a job -- but I actually did like what I was doing. However, I had decided that it was time to prepare myself for eventual retirement so I asked to go to 3 days a week. Management and I could not come to terms so I gave it a long thought and then quit. It had nothing to do with not liking the work -- it was truly a matter of just wanting to spend less time working.

Christina

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74239 of 76095
Subject: Re: Poll: I .... this job Date: 2/9/2014 6:17 PM
chkNYC writes,

Management and I could not come to terms so I gave it a long thought and then quit. It had nothing to do with not liking the work -- it was truly a matter of just wanting to spend less time working.

</snip>

Years ago when I graduated from college I had an interview with defense contractor General Dynamics to work at their Electric Boat shipyard in Groton, CT where they build nuclear submarines for the Navy. Electric Boat was apparently a completely crappy place to work with low morale and rampant absenteeism.

I remember reading an article in the local paper where a reporter was interviewing an hourly worker.

Reporter, "Why do you only show up for work three days a week?"

Worker, "Because I can't earn enough money to live on if I only show up two days a week."

And this was before Obamacare made it easier for workers to quit their jobs.

intercst

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement