Mostly indexed funds
Mostly managed funds
Mostly annuities
Mostly individual stock & bonds
A blend of some combination of the above

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Sometimes a 6th option would help. All stocks here.
No. of Recommendations: 3
also none of the above:

index ETFs, stocks & stocks*

* a "ladder" of dividend stocks
No. of Recommendations: 0
0x6a74,

What is a ladder of dividend stocks? I have never seen this description.

Gene
What is a ladder of dividend stocks?

I interpret that to mean a portfolio selected to pay dividends at regular intervals, probably monthly (but in my household extra funds come in handy in the months when estimated taxes, insurance payments, and property taxes are due).
Yep... far too many other alternatives missing, needs a "none of the above."

My strategy;
*Everything* in 0%-floor IULs, or income real estate, averaging roughly 10-15% annual growth/yield without downside risks.

I use leverage those as collateral whenever I see sharp exploitation opportunities offering 50% or higher net return, on a fairly obvious short-term enter/exit strategy. These opportunities are not limited to *any* particular asset class (and, in fact, often happen internal to my own business.) The "deals of a lifetime" happen all the time, literally, when you're in the position to exploit them.

The key to winning is never getting taken out of the game. Ride the winners, *NEVER* ride the losers.

Dave
No. of Recommendations: 1
I focus on minimizing fees and commissions with a Long-Term Buy & Hold portfolio of about 20 individual stocks and ten year's worth of living expenses in short-term bonds. (85% stock, 15% bonds)

Currently living comfortably on the money I'm not paying a financial advisor, mutual fund manager, or insurance agent.

intercst

What is a ladder of dividend stocks? I have never seen this description.

back in the day, i had a CD-ladder:

bucket of money, divided into 6 pieces, each of which bought CD with various maturity.

when CD rates puked ... as my CDs matured, i put the money in dividend stocks (looking for SAFE, stable dividends).
now at semi-regular intervals, i re-evaluate & replace stocks i don't like with stocks i like better. still have six stocks in roughly equal amounts

NOT a recommendation, nor offer to sell --just Sayin'
What is a ladder of dividend stocks?

I interpret that to mean a portfolio selected to pay dividends at regular intervals, probably monthly

in my case, regular intervals isn't important.
stable dividend amounts , stable price.

at the moment: T, and five utilities, three of the five, preferred stock
0x6a74,

Sorry. I guess I did not detect the wry twist of the quotes on ladder. ;-)

I thought about making a CD ladder when I retired in '05. We never did it since we always seemed to have our expense cash covered. We did some trimming of positions and took most dividends as cash at times.

After 2009, I pretty much decided the ladder would not be needed. We had enough cash and our IRA assets became available without the 10% penalty. We have our original IRAs from 1982(21% of our portfolio) that earn very nice interest. We can make a withdrawal and have cash in 3 days from there if needed. That works for me.

Currently, most of our dividends are in IRAs and we haven't withdrawn any funds from them yet. Our dividend core is 24 companies.

Gene
After 2009, I pretty much decided the ladder would not be needed. We had enough cash and our IRA assets became available without the 10% penalty. We have our original IRAs from 1982(21% of our portfolio) that earn very nice interest. We can make a withdrawal and have cash in 3 days from there if needed. That works for me.

Currently, most of our dividends are in IRAs and we haven't withdrawn any funds from them yet. Our dividend core is 24 companies.

not so much 'need' in my case, as squeezing as much as possible (with less risk) from semi-liquid stocks.

24 .....too many for me to watch
Advertisement