UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127262  
Subject: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/18/2013 3:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When you face the front door of your house, the attached garage should be on the right. If it is on the left you have a left handed house. (See previous post for more detail)
I live in a right handed house
I live in a left handed house
Mine is not right or left handed
I do not live in a house
What is a house?

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: HearNoEvil One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126504 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/18/2013 3:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Of the 4 houses we own, 3 are right handed houses.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126514 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/18/2013 5:13 PM
In Texas, most the the garages are in the REAR of the house off the alley.

Does it make a difference then?

And they are all 2 or 3 car garages.....

t.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126515 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/18/2013 5:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
Q) none of the above

I live in house, with no garage....

peace & the horror
t

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126518 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/18/2013 6:28 PM
Recommendations: 4
When you face the front door of your house...from the inside or outside?

Author: 55Kevy Two stars, 250 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126519 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/18/2013 6:44 PM
I've owned 9 houses in my life and only 2 were RH. The one we're in now is LH, but is a side-load (house on the corner, front door faces one street, garage faces the cross street). The house we're building (should be our last) will be LH.

K

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126521 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/18/2013 8:56 PM
Recommendations: 5
My tailor says mine is oriented left.

We're talking about houses right? He's also my realtor.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126523 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/18/2013 9:49 PM
When you face the front door of your house...from the inside or outside?

From the outside when we say garage is on the left or right.

(I think from the inside when people are talking about which side of the door has the handle.)

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126526 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/19/2013 8:34 AM
Recommendations: 5
Where's the choice for - you have too much time on your hands ?

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126528 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/19/2013 10:59 AM
If I do a search of Vienna VA (town near me) I find about a 50/50 split between the garage being on the right or left. Which leads me to believe there's no "rule" about one side being proper versus the other.

http://franklymls.com/default.aspx?m=R&l=0&h=1000K&a...

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126529 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/19/2013 11:16 AM
My house is left handed as defined for this purpose, but that isn't an issue. The issue is, the garage is set back further from the street and is to the north of the house. That means the house throws shade on the driveway in the winter, right in front of the garage. The driveway ought to be on the south side of the house, to catch the southern sun in the winter and make the residual snow melt more easily. If my house were on the opposite side of a north-south street, left handed would be correct for this floor plan.

Interestingly enough, there are many houses built on the same pattern in my neighborhood. Some are left handed, some are right handed; but most are placed wrong, with the driveway north of the house and shaded in the winter.

Yeah, I know. It's not something you'd notice in Texas. But when the houses were built, you'd think the builder should have known he was working in the land of Lake Effect Snow.

Patzer

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126530 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/19/2013 11:23 AM
My house is left handed as defined for this purpose, but that isn't an issue. The issue is, the garage is set back further from the street and is to the north of the house. That means the house throws shade on the driveway in the winter, right in front of the garage. The driveway ought to be on the south side of the house, to catch the southern sun in the winter and make the residual snow melt more easily.

If you're in Texas, I would think effects of the hot sun would be more of a priority than optimizing snow melt. Most garages aren't temp-controlled, and people like to store non-car items in them - heat breaks things down faster than cold. So having it a big cooler by shade in summer, plus shade possibly for any cars parked directly outside the garage was probably a bigger priority than optimizing snow melt.

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126531 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/19/2013 11:33 AM
If you're in Texas, I would think effects of the hot sun would be more of a priority than optimizing snow melt. Most garages aren't temp-controlled, and people like to store non-car items in them - heat breaks things down faster than cold. So having it a big cooler by shade in summer, plus shade possibly for any cars parked directly outside the garage was probably a bigger priority than optimizing snow melt.

Heh. That gives me a new theory; the builder wasn't an idiot, he was a Texan who didn't realize that the weather is different in upstate NY. Except the houses were built without a/c, which indicates the builder must have realized he wasn't in Texas. So maybe he was an idiot after all.

Patzer

Author: UKBB Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126532 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/19/2013 11:47 AM
Recommendations: 3
What is an attached garage?

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126533 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/19/2013 12:49 PM
Recommendations: 2
:)

OK, OK. Thank you for a pleasant interlude. The consensus is that handedness is not relevant.

However--

*Now you are aware.

*The resale value of left handed houses just fell by 10%

*You know those neighbors who seem a bit weird. Now you know why.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126534 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/19/2013 1:10 PM
No garage...

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126535 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/20/2013 1:10 PM
No garage...

The house I was raised in was built before cars. The unattached blacksmith building was used as a garage.

The front door faced the street, and was rarely used. If someone came to the front door the odds were very high they were pushing religion.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126537 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/20/2013 4:01 PM
In Texas, most the the garages are in the REAR of the house off the alley.

Where are you specifically? I've lived in Texas all my life. Owned four houses so far, and only the one in Plano is rear ally accessed. Oh, I'm not arguing that thousands of such neighborhoods exist. I've seen plenty. But I've seen just as many or more that aren't rear alley accessed.

xtn

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126538 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/20/2013 4:17 PM
Where I have lived, older lots, pre World War II were usually laid out long and thin. Then alley was in back and garage was there.

Now ranch style houses and even colonials are usually laid out with wider often shorter lots. That favors attached garage on one end.

Suburbs almost always have garage on the side. But older inner city lots can have alleys.

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126539 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/21/2013 1:15 PM
I'm not tele (that's an understatement), but he does live in East Plano, where that is likely the case. I've also seen rear alley access in newer construction in Grand Prairie (friends of ours have this) and in parts of North Dallas. I think they're common in parts of Frisco as well but could be mistaken.

All this is in the DFW area, and I don't recall where you're at.

My subdivision in a different part of the metroplex is a little unusual, as it's all front access (driveway) but the garages are detached rather than attached (the latter seemingly being the norm in most of DFW) with a flyover shielding the walkway from the garage to the house. (If you care, garages are all front facing but located to the right of and slightly behind the houses. These homes were all built early 90's.) Most newer homes (as you likely know, in DFW a home built in the early 90's is "older") around here have attached garages.

-synchronicity, just bought this spring so lots of home research still stuck in my head.

Author: tbear2 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126540 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/23/2013 4:55 PM
Am I inside looking out, or outside looking in. That reverses everything...

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126541 of 127262
Subject: Re: Poll: Is yours left or right handed? Date: 11/23/2013 9:02 PM
Outside looking in. A right handed house has the garage on the right.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement