UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308368  
Subject: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/3/2012 12:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This:
I know some of you will be p.o. at me for not buying a 2012 nissan and paying over 27K for it.

made me wonder about the assumption many have that other people are always buying new cars. Well, do you, punk?!
I only buy new cars.
I used to buy used and switched to buying new cars.
I used to buy new and switched to buying used cars.
It depends on the deal.
I never buy new cars.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305680 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/3/2012 1:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
None of the above. I've bought new and used. My latest car was bought used with 135K miles. My next one *might* be new, but we will see. I try to hold my cars for 150K miles or more, so new amortizes out to not much in the end.

The one thing I am adamant about is always paying cash.

Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305681 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/3/2012 1:34 PM
Well, do you, punk?!

Huh?

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305683 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/3/2012 2:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well, do you, punk?!
Huh?

Sorry, Clint Eastwood movie reference. My brain does that a lot with movies, but I usually manage not to type them.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305684 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/3/2012 3:08 PM
I've only bought 1 car, bought it new because I was able to put > 50% down, paid off the loan on the rest in 4 years, and have had it for 14 years now. Luckily none of the accidents it's been in had enough damage to "total" it - but there were all before it was 10 years old, so now due to the lower value a more minor accident could cause an insurance company to consider it "totaled".

So based on my history, I'd be willing to buy new again, since I'm assuming I could keep the next car for 14+ years. However, if I did have some bad luck of another driver totaling my car when it was much younger, where I think the likelihood of being able to hold onto a car for 14+ years is low due to other drivers driving like they're in "bumper cars", than I could see where going used would be the better option. And used is most likely the better option if you don't have cash available to either pay outright for a new car or put down a large downpayment so as to keep your loan lower.

Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305685 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/3/2012 4:07 PM
I selected "It depends on the deal" but the reality is that I prefer to buy cars that are less than a year old, with less than 10,000 miles on the clock, then drive them into old age.

My DH's car fits that profile. He paid 30% less than he would have for a new car of the same model, with the same accessories (air-conditioning, etc).

My current car was bought new in 2000 and has done over 259,000 miles. In that time, we've been through 6 windscreens, multiple tyres, 2 exhausts, 2 clutches and 3 window-winders.

- Pam

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305687 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/3/2012 5:32 PM
I've only bought one brand new vehicle ever. The 1983 Ford F150 that we drove until 1992. At that point we bought a 1 yr old program car for under $10K. Since then, everything has been at least 4 years old or older. Just picked up a 2007 Mustang last week to replace my 13 yr old explorer :0)

LWW

Author: bill343 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305688 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/3/2012 7:49 PM
I like to have a few years of Maintaince/Reliability History available when I am thinking about cars.

Car quality is now vastly improved over even 15 or even 10 years ago. 150K used to be never never land, now it is just about standard.

and the depreciation on some luxury cars is amazing.....

bill

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305689 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/4/2012 6:25 PM
My preference is to buy new if I can afford it, and keep it a long time if I like it. Dad felt this way about cars.

My last car was small, reliable, easy to park, cheap to run. I had it 15+ years before it got hit by a truck.

Unfortunately the new car dealers around here didn't have what I was looking for on the lot when I went car shopping, so I'm driving a '09 Hyundai instead (former rental car.) Sort of a compromise.

Author: martybl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305690 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/4/2012 11:13 PM
Recommendations: 3
[O]ther people are always buying new cars. . .

I tend to buy new cars, but I have a preference for high-performance cars with manual transmissions that can be used as a daily driver. Knowing how I drive my cars, I don't necessarily want an used car that's been driven like that.

I'd have no hesitation buying a mainstream "appliance" car, such as a Camry, a Buick or a minivan used. I'd also think about buying a low mileage performance car used, if it's one that can't be used as a daily driver, and if I could talk with the previous owner. There are a lot of Vipers and Ferraris out there with only a few thousand miles on them.

martybl

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305694 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/6/2012 3:14 PM
I like to have a few years of Maintaince/Reliability History available when I am thinking about cars.

A friend has a standard that he never deviates from: never buy the first year of any car that has a major overhaul until you've seen how it actually performs. He got stung with a brand new one once that had a recall issued and just sticks to his guns on that now.

Car quality is now vastly improved over even 15 or even 10 years ago. 150K used to be never never land, now it is just about standard.

Absolutely. My explorer just turned 170K and I now have a mustang with only 65K. I expect to have the new one for a number of years to come.

and the depreciation on some luxury cars is amazing.....

I guess it depends on the specific luxury car. I saw quite a few certified pre-owned cars while we were shopping that weren't really very much less than the brand new ones. Both were out of my price range, but it was fun to look them over and dream ;0)

LWW

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305695 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/6/2012 5:31 PM
In case anyone else was unfamiliar with the term "program car":

Major rental firms...turn their cars over after they are between 6 and 12 months old. Part of the lease agreement states that the automobile manufacturer will accept the lease vehicle back once the time period, or mileage limit, is reached. The automobile manufacturers then take these corporate lease returns, or program cars, to a licensed dealer-only auction and sell the autos.

http://reviews.ebay.com/ebaymotors/What-is-a-program-car-and...

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305696 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/6/2012 5:37 PM
In case anyone else was unfamiliar with the term "program car"

Sorry about not explaining. In our case the "program" part was that we were buying a car that had been loaner program for coaches during the academic year. After the cars would get about 12K on them, they'd be turned back in and sold by the dealership as program cars. We were still able to get a warranty on it and got it cheap, so it was totally worth it for us.

LWW

Author: FlippoHip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305697 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/6/2012 11:09 PM
Depends on the deal. I was able to get a new 2011 Accord for the same price as a used 2009 Civc, simply because it was the last 2011 on the lot and they wanted to get rid of it. Also, I got 0.9% financing, which I wouldn't have got with the used car.

I didn't get to choose the color or the trim or the options, but it was too good a deal to pass up.

However, I went to the dealership to look at used cars, because they are usually the better deal. That was just a lucky day for me.

I will drive it for 10 years, give it to my daughter when she turns 16 and then pay cash for my next USED car.

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305700 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/7/2012 1:50 PM
Just to throw another wrinkle in the discussion, I'm going to switch the order of your comments to make a point.

I will drive it for 10 years, give it to my daughter when she turns 16 and then pay cash for my next USED car.

I didn't get to choose the color or the trim or the options, but it was too good a deal to pass up.

For me, the first and second comment are somewhat contrary to each other. BECAUSE I plan to keep a car for so long, and/or hand it down to a kid as we'll do with this most recent one, I'd rather pay a little more to get what I want. We just did that with the Elantra vs. the Civic. Still great deal on the Elantra, but probably $1000 more (at least) for that car. We just flat liked it way better.

Granted, it sounds like your deal really did make the color, trim and options moot.

v/r
Tom

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305701 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/7/2012 2:13 PM
BECAUSE I plan to keep a car for so long, and/or hand it down to a kid as we'll do with this most recent one, I'd rather pay a little more to get what I want.

There are multiple levels of wants/needs for a car purchase. The color and trim needs to be not annoying. Cost can easly sway choice within the acceptable range for items like color, model and other items "like" level.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305705 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/8/2012 7:56 AM
We always buy new, and wait for no greater than 1.9%/60 month deals. Within those guidelines if we can't get the car at approx $250 above invoice or less, we'll walk. So far in all the cars I've owned (other than the used car I had in high school/college) I/we have been able to work deals like that and hold for a long time. My last car we owned for 10 years, before we bought new again. We expect to now hold the "new" car for at least another 10 years. I commute 25 mile round trip daily so my average usage is about 9,600 miles. My wife is a SAHM, so her usage is far less. We just passed 6 years, and she has less than 36,000 miles. Barring an accident, we expect to have her car at least another 10 years as well.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305706 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/8/2012 9:06 AM
We just passed 6 years, and she has less than 36,000 miles.

I find this amazing. My new Civic had just over 29,000 miles on it when it turned one year old about 2 weeks ago. I cannot imagine driving less than 6000 miles a year. And with my high mileage, I still manage to get 8-10 years out of a vehicle. In your shoes, I can see going 15-20 years with that car. May it last that long for you!

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305709 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/8/2012 4:31 PM
I guess it depends on the specific luxury car. I saw quite a few certified pre-owned cars while we were shopping that weren't really very much less than the brand new ones. Both were out of my price range,

Yeah, I chose "I only buy new" but I suppose it's because I think that almost new cars don't seem to be discounted much these days. Maybe I should have said depends on the deal, because it does, and maybe in a different economy 1-2 year old cars would be a better option.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305710 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/9/2012 11:23 AM
Yeah, I chose "I only buy new" but I suppose it's because I think that almost new cars don't seem to be discounted much these days.

I put it 'depends on the deal' because it pretty much depends on what I find. I"m not opposed to a used car, but my last car I bought new and I like knowing its entire history. But if I don't find anything at the price I want to spend when it comes around to buying again, I will certainly consider used if they are discounted a reasonable amount. It seems like the ones at the dealership haven't been (maybe with the exception of luxury cars, but I'm not planning to buy one of those at this point).

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305711 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/9/2012 11:56 AM
Recommendations: 4
>> Yeah, I chose "I only buy new" but I suppose it's because I think that almost new cars don't seem to be discounted much these days. Maybe I should have said depends on the deal, because it does, and maybe in a different economy 1-2 year old cars would be a better option. <<

The "buy a 1-2 year old car and let someone else take the 30% hit for driving it off the lot" strategy has largely become a victim of its own success. It worked so well and became so popular that the demand for these cars shot up and in many cases -- especially for Hondas and Toyotas for for some other makes and models as well -- the depreciation scale is almost linear (i.e. it doesn't fall off a cliff in the first year or 10K miles like it used to.)

When the depreciation is nearly linear, to me buying new usually makes more sense, especially when there are considerable factory incentives in place. You get the full warranty, and you don't have to wonder whether the vehicle was used/maintained well by its previous owners.

So really, it depends on what I'm looking for, whether there are good incentives in place for new cars and what the current market conditions are for new versus nearly-new. But nearly-new isn't the automatic "slam-dunk" choice it used to be.

Author: SRenaeP Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305712 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/9/2012 4:29 PM
I tend to buy new cars, but I have a preference for high-performance cars with manual transmissions that can be used as a daily driver. Knowing how I drive my cars, I don't necessarily want an used car that's been driven like that.

I'd have no hesitation buying a mainstream "appliance" car, such as a Camry, a Buick or a minivan used. I'd also think about buying a low mileage performance car used, if it's one that can't be used as a daily driver, and if I could talk with the previous owner. There are a lot of Vipers and Ferraris out there with only a few thousand miles on them.

martybl

How do you find the sweet spot regarding used performance vehicles? My vehicle preference falls somewhere between appliance and high-performance. My current car was someone else's weekend/play car (assumption based on mileage when I bought it) but it's my daily driver. Obviously I want a non-abused, reliable vehicle but I'm not willing (affordability aside) to pay new car prices either.

-Steph

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305741 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/16/2012 5:50 PM
I don't know if it counts as a "luxury" car, but my Volvo, three years old and with 39K miles on it, was half the price of a new one.

--Booa

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305742 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/16/2012 5:56 PM
We just passed 6 years, and she has less than 36,000 miles.

I find this amazing. My new Civic had just over 29,000 miles on it when it turned one year old about 2 weeks ago. I cannot imagine driving less than 6000 miles a year.

Wow, you drive a lot! :-) If you telecommute, like my DH did for some years, it's easy to put less than 6000 miles on your car. If you're just driving to the grocery store once a week, or maybe the mall once a month, you don't put a lot of miles on the car.

--Booa

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305744 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/16/2012 9:45 PM
I'd put Volvos pretty far up on the chain. Not necessarily luxury, but really nice and very durable.

LWW

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305745 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/16/2012 10:13 PM
I'd put Volvos pretty far up on the chain. Not necessarily luxury, but really nice and very durable.

LWW

They maybe nice, but I haven't seen them be durable.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305748 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/17/2012 10:16 AM
Recommendations: 3

Wow, you drive a lot! :-)

I cannot take all the credit for putting those miles on the Civic :-)

There are 4 drivers in this house, and the Civic, getting the best mileage, is everyone's car of choice, so when someone is out, the Civic is gone. We decide who gets which car based on the miles to be driven, and so whoever is going the furthest gets the Civic, then the next person takes the Odyssey, and then there's DH's truck. It works out that each vehicle gets about half the mileage of the previous one as you move from Civic to Odyssey to truck.

And then there were all those trips to RI to pick up DS at school every weekend last year, so that was a ton of mileage.

The sad part of all this, BTW, is that I do telecommute frequently. In fact, I've worked home 4 out of 5 days all summer, but that was because I didn't have a car as the kids each needed a vehicle to get to work, so the Civic tends to only be home when we're sleeping.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305749 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/17/2012 10:22 AM

I know several folks down here who have had theirs for more than 10 years. Maybe it's just my perception based on the sampling I've seen. I do know that when something does go wrong with them, it's usually expensive to fix. But unlike some cars, they don't seem to have any issues that put them in the shop excessively.

LWW

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305750 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/17/2012 10:28 AM
Volvos are durable, but expensive to fix. And older cars always have issues to fix.

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305761 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/20/2012 8:43 PM

LWW

-----------------------------------------------------------

Really? My family has owned 8 Volvos over the years, and I don't think any one of them has lasted less than 150,000 miles (even the ones from the early 70's). Usually what happens is my mom or dad buys one new, drives it to around 120,000 miles, and then I get it for the next 80,000 miles or so.

They're not cheap to maintain, but they can take the abuse my dad dishes out (towing boats, driving on roads that are basically dirt tracks, hauling stuff), and they hold a *lot* of stuff. My station wagon functions as a small truck, I've gotten a twin mattress set in the back with the tailgate closed, and 7 kitchen chairs (on separate occasions, not at the same time). I can bring tile home from the hardware store or drive the car pool.

And if you roll it over, down the hill, the roof pillars aren't going to just collapse. :-) That's the sleep at night factor, for me.

But I know some people have gotten lemons. I think it really helps to not buy the first year a new model is out. Or the first year of a new turbo engine--those usually haven't been beta tested enough. I think that's true for a lot of cars, though.

--Booa

Author: FlippoHip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305777 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/22/2012 1:21 PM
"For me, the first and second comment are somewhat contrary to each other. BECAUSE I plan to keep a car for so long, and/or hand it down to a kid as we'll do with this most recent one, I'd rather pay a little more to get what I want.

Granted, it sounds like your deal really did make the color, trim and options moot."

It was exactly that....too good to pass up. However, I will admit to thinking "I wish I had the heated seats" and "I wish I had a manual transmission" and so on.

I never had those thoughts with my VW, because it was EXACTLY the car I wanted. I loved it and loved driving it. I like this car. It is attractive, gets good gas milage and it's comfortable, but I don't love it.

It will be a long, time before I buy another one though. I hate car payments.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305809 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/23/2012 7:00 PM
Really? My family has owned 8 Volvos over the years

I personally only know 2 Volvo owners. A co-worker had a lemon of a Volvo. SIL isn't doing all that well with her either. Limit examples, but not good references.

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305830 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 8/28/2012 9:47 PM
Really? My family has owned 8 Volvos over the years

---------------------------------------------------------

I personally only know 2 Volvo owners. A co-worker had a lemon of a Volvo. SIL isn't doing all that well with her either. Limit examples, but not good references.

I personally know of some lemon Volvos, too. I guess the bulk of my direct experience has been good, but the bulk of your direct experience has been bad. That's why they call it anecdata! :-)

--Booa (sees many old Volvos in SoCal, but it's easier to keep any car going where there's no snow)

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305848 of 308368
Subject: Re: Poll: New car or used? Date: 9/4/2012 2:40 AM
For a long time, I almost never actually purchase an automobile. One of my companies may lease an automobile for me to use in the normal course of the company's business.

Kahuna, CFA
Venture Capital
General Partner

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement