Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22057  
Subject: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/11/2004 8:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What's digial???
Digital is ok but my SLR is the best
Both are great, i use them equally
Pitched the SLR for the Digital!

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4071 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/11/2004 9:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I guess you mean anything 35 by saying "SLR"?

Seymore...
<<www.asking.pl>>

Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4073 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/11/2004 9:10 PM

Not necessarily, I put in SLR because i wasn't sure how to encompas all other options.. More like digital vs. not digital, 35 mm or otherwise.

Author: quasie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4074 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/11/2004 9:20 PM
Recommendations: 4
What about My Digital SLR???

-Q

Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4075 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/11/2004 9:43 PM
What about My Digital SLR???

Ok, I may be a little behind the times... Didn't know those existed. Anway, I guess i mean that i prefer the dark room and printing my own to the digital method. I suppose that if you could buy top of the line digial equipment, computer, and printer it would be worth it. I bought my K1000 with my babysitting money 15 years ago and it still takes great photographs!
My 30$ enlarger is great too!!

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4076 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/12/2004 10:24 AM
Recommendations: 2
Thanks for your input!!

14% (2 Votes)
What's digial???

7% (1 Vote)
Digital is ok but my SLR is the best

14% (2 Votes)
Both are great, i use them equally

64% (9 Votes)
Pitched the SLR for the Digital!

With 5 categories available, you should have had another entry;
I propose

Digital is ok but my Wisner 4"x5" Technical Field is the best.

i.e., you really want to design your polls so as not to exclude too large a population.

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4077 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/12/2004 10:25 AM

Nope: the O.P. meant the Honeywell Pentax 6x7 SLR.

Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4078 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/12/2004 11:50 AM
One small problem with your poll. To some of us, SLR doesn't qualify as "old school".

Besides, SLR does not imply film; the better digital cameras are also SLRs.

Personally, I shoot strictly film, but my preference is to do as much of it as possible with a 4x5 view camera. My SLR is used for snapshots, some magazine assignments, and street photography. The stuff that ends up on the wall is usually shot with the 4x5.

David

Author: mjolah Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4083 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/12/2004 2:04 PM
Recommendations: 1
I think the qquestion is misleading. Photography is an art form. It isn't the tool that you use, but rather how you use it. I have 4 35's and 3 digitals, and I use them all. The digitals tend to be more "point and shoot" use cameras (but have bells and whistles if I want them) but they are easy to carry around and take spontaneous shots. The 35's are more for planned shoots - where I want to drag out the big lenses, etc. (and by the way, other than the built ins in the digitals, I don't own an autofocus lense/camera).

This would be like asking a guitarist whether he or she should pitch the classical acoustic for a Fender Stratocaster....

Author: iseek2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4087 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/13/2004 2:14 PM

I agree manual focus is essential for atypical shots especially, but most 35s now offer both manual, auto, and even a combo as options.

I still use my old K1000 but with a manual focus lense, and I can't tell much difference between those shots and shots with my ZX on manual or auto.

Where I do notice the difference is in point and click shooting. Then, probably due to my vision, the autofocus shots with the ZX are sharper than the K1000 with manual focus only.

B

Author: ToesOnTheNose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4089 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/13/2004 3:12 PM
I like them both.

Digital for family stuff, for small volume, and for fun or testing.

Film for high volume (weddings).

The back-end work is far too high for anyone to go to digital on high volume work. Anyone who says they are a wedding photographer and they use 100% digital are one of two things:
1. A liar
2. Very, very good to the point where they never over or under expose under any conditions, the color, saturation, hue, curves, etc are perfect everytime. In other words, they are perfect photographers. This is rare, but possible. Although, they would miss 90% of the action.

Toes

Author: TheDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4094 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/13/2004 4:52 PM

While most of my SLRs are 35mm, I have an APS SLR...and I'm thinking of getting a digital one.

The Dreamer.

Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4095 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/13/2004 5:11 PM
Where I do notice the difference is in point and click shooting.

I think we are in agreement. The place I find auto focus useless is doing macro work. I have to use manual focus there.

PF

Author: PoorMelissa Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4096 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/14/2004 12:04 AM
I didn't exactly pitch my SLR, but I rarely pick it up these days. I love, love, love my digital SLR. I saved the SLR as a back up and because I've not had the chance to play much with black and white. (I too have a little darkroom setup. Unfortunately, I've only used it twice since I bought it two years ago. There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day...or even on the weekends. Heck, I've been so busy that I've not gotten out and done much for fun shooting either.

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4097 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/14/2004 7:04 AM
I've been so busy that I've not gotten out and done much for fun shooting either.

You are not the only one. I considered setting up a poll to find out how long people have gone without making any good images; i.e., not counting the obligatory ones such as weddings, children's birthday parties, etc.

But I decided I did not want to know. Might be too depressing.

Author: coldfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4098 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/14/2004 8:57 AM
I considered setting up a poll to find out how long people have gone without making any good images

Too long. I had minor surgery a couple of weeks ago which has hindered me a bit...

Next week however, I plan to revisit an old favorite city and hope I can get some good shots...we shall see.

But I decided I did not want to know.

Oops.

<G>

~cold

Author: quasie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4099 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/16/2004 9:11 PM
You are not the only one. I considered setting up a poll to find out how long people have gone without making any good images;

I personally have a really hard time deciding what is good and what isn't of my own as over time I've come to realize what I thought was SO good...isn't quite THAT good. One thing I have learned is that lighting and exposure is pretty much IT in a nutshell. If they aren't right then the other things don't matter much.

Anwyay since you asked...I guess this one is good...at least the judges and commenters DPC thought so. Taken with a polarizer around 1:30 pm. So it is possible to get a good pic at mid-day. I'm always on a crusade to get good contrast to our blue winter skys. And it was just a work break with a friend taking pics around town...no special event at all other than I thought I was going to die going up this high and leaning over the rail to take it.

http://www.digitalphotocontest.com/photodisplay.asp?photoid=593649
(this site is having it's problems the past few days..so this link may not work at times)

quasie (Kristi)

Kristi

Author: davekone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4100 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/17/2004 8:47 AM
The back-end work is far too high for anyone to go to digital on high volume work. Anyone who says they are a wedding photographer and they use 100% digital are one of two things:
1. A liar
2. Very, very good to the point where they never over or under expose under any conditions, the color, saturation, hue, curves, etc are perfect everytime. In other words, they are perfect photographers. This is rare, but possible. Although, they would miss 90% of the action.

Why do you say this? If you screw up a photo using film or digital you have mess on your hands. You can have digital developed on an automatic processing machine just like film. The backend work for film versus digital can be the same. People get so caught up in what you can do post processing digital it seems overwhelming, but it's not necessary to get a good photo digitally.

David

Author: MacMurph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4101 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/17/2004 8:25 PM
http://www.digitalphotocontest.com/photodisplay.asp?photoid=593649
(this site is having it's problems the past few days..so this link may not work at times)

like you said, DPC had massive problems throughout the day but finally I was able to see that picture. Good one! Congrats to another POTD, Kristi! Good one!

Mac

Author: ToesOnTheNose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4103 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/18/2004 6:46 PM
Why do you say this? If you screw up a photo using film or digital you have mess on your hands. You can have digital developed on an automatic processing machine just like film. The backend work for film versus digital can be the same. People get so caught up in what you can do post processing digital it seems overwhelming, but it's not necessary to get a good photo digitally.
++++

The labs charge more to process digital if they have to screw around with it. With film, they color correct at a certain price, which is built into the price whether they color correct or not. With digital, they offer a really low price if they make no changes, but one little change and the whole thing jumps up in price to above the cost of film processing.

But, you have a good point, I probably haven't looked into it hard enough. If a lab would take my RAW images and make them into 4x6 proofs, at a reasonable price, I'd probably consider it. But, I haven't yet seen that offered at a reasonable price. What I have seen is them charging high prices for what I can do with film for much less.

That's why I say what I say. Either you pay more in money, or you pay more in time. Film still seems easier to me.

Toes

Author: davekone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4112 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/19/2004 8:05 AM
Recommendations: 3
I was responding to this comment:” The back-end work is far too high for anyone to go to digital on high volume work. Anyone who says they are a wedding photographer and they use 100% digital are one of two things:
1. A liar
2. Very, very good to the point where they never over or under expose under any conditions, the color, saturation, hue, curves, etc are perfect everytime. In other words, they are perfect photographers. This is rare, but possible. Although, they would miss 90% of the action.”
----------------------------

I dont know if you have a COSTCO store near you but out my way they do 4x6 prints from digital for .29 cents each.

Shutterfly does 4x6 in volume for .29 to .25 cents. Other places on line snapfish I think does digital prints 4x6 in volume for .19-.25 per print.

Granted film proofs on-line 4x6 are running around $3 a roll, but you had to buy the film as well costing who knows how much since I haven't priced film in a while. Also how many pictures do you miss when you have to re-load the camera during an event? Having a 2nd body and or a helper is a must when shooting film.

With digital you show your proofs on your screen (Free) or send them low quality pictures on a CD for them to review. There is software that will take a folder of pictures, auto color, auto level, and sharpen etc. with a few clicks.

Its really a matter of opinion and preference as to what a person will use for an event. "No one is lying" if they say they shoot weddings or any other event 100% digital. I know photographers that do it digital, ones that do it film and many more that do BOTH. I've even seen some people with two cameras, one digital and one film on a tripod side by side shooting simultaneously! Some shoot a digital picture and read the histogram on the camera, then set their film camera accordingly based on that histogram.

David

Author: ToesOnTheNose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4130 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/19/2004 2:14 PM
There is software that will take a folder of pictures, auto color, auto level, and sharpen etc. with a few clicks.
++++

I guess I can't find that software.

Shutterfly does 4x6 in volume for .29 to .25 cents. Other places on line snapfish I think does digital prints 4x6 in volume for .19-.25 per print.

Does that include corrections? I've seem that too. But it requires no corrections. They print what's there.

I've even seen some people with two cameras, one digital and one film on a tripod side by side shooting simultaneously!

Then, you've seen me. That's what I do. But, I don't actually use the digital for anything other than study. It's probably my camera, or user error of some sort, because I seem to be about the only one with issues, but my digital reads differently than my film, so I cannot use the same settings. And, therefore I also have little trust in my ability to actually use digital. I understand film and get consistent results. I get sketchy results with digital. Sometimes good, sometimes not.

But, i keep trying digital. I have heard about the auto functions in the software, and have actually had a small amount of success using photoshop to make color black and white, or sepia. Or in making wallets.

So, I'm not against digital. I just haven't found it appealing for high volume work yet. But, then, I haven't really given it a full try.

To counter your arguement about film loading, what happens if you run out of memory and you have to pop in a new card. I bet I can load film as fast as you could pop in a new card. It would be a fun contest anyway. I have multiple cameras going all the time, including my digital.

The pro labs are not yet cool with you taking your card popping it into their system and asking them to do all the same things as they do with print film. This is where I am confused. I don't know why it is different, but it is. They all offer these great prices if there is no correction, but charge an arm and a leg if there is some correction required. I just don't get it.

But, I am going to my lab today to pick up a reprint order, so I'll ask the owner what the deal is with this situation.

Thanks,

Toes

Author: davekone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4150 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/20/2004 12:04 PM
Let me know what your lab says, I'm curious.

On another note To counter your arguement about film loading, what happens if you run out of memory and you have to pop in a new card. I bet I can load film as fast as you could pop in a new card. It would be a fun contest anyway. I have multiple cameras going all the time, including my digital.

My card never runs out, I can shoot just over 1,000 pictures with my current memory card. There are also hard drive you can put on your belt and constantly download to keeping your camaera always ready to go.

Anywho, do you have nay of your pictures posted on the web for a looksy?

David

Author: ToesOnTheNose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4151 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/20/2004 3:06 PM
Well, my lab actually corroborated you story. So, I'll give it a try.

And, i didn't know about the hard drive thing.

Anyway, if you want to take a look, go here: http://www.frazierphotography.com

Toes

Author: MacMurph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4155 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/20/2004 7:40 PM
Anyway, if you want to take a look, go here: http://www.frazierphotography.com

Toes

How is your business doing? I'm asking just out of curiosity.

Mac

Author: ToesOnTheNose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4171 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 2/22/2004 11:03 PM
How is your business doing? I'm asking just out of curiosity.
++++

Not bad. I'm making money. It's hard to believe that people pay for me to do this. I don't mean that in a negative way, I just mean that I have so much fun doing it, it's not at all like working.

Toes

Author: rigoletto39 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4405 of 22057
Subject: Re: Poll: New to board.. digital or old school Date: 3/12/2004 3:52 PM
...convenient but I still love to play in the dark room with my black and white negatives.

You have no idea how much fun you'll have playing with your image files in Photoshop!!!

I still have one hand in the old silver nitrate world - and I do appreciate black and white. I get a general impression that the rest of the world looks on B&W - especially movies - as extremely unwatchable.

But I'm with guys like Ansel Adams, Steichen, Weston, &c.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement