UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740110  
Subject: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 1:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Use the people of NO as pawns to make Bush look bad
Try to drive "those people" permanently out of LA
Try to make Nagin look even worse
Brainlock and reveal her incompetence
Drag her feet for racial reasons

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258177 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 4:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I don't disagree that sometimes people do have explicitly "evil" intentions, and I will even go so far as to say that political "conspiracies" for some broader, overarching goal do exist here and there.

The reality is that these instances are usually the exception rather than the rule.

Most of the time, "screwed up" situations are simply the consequences of errors in judgement, incompetence (from lack of experience, planning, coordination, apathey, stupidity or outright laziness) and/or "nearly impossible" situations. I would say that laziness and apathy are usually the primary drivers.

I think that a combination of the reasons in the previous paragraph caused the debacle, not any deliberate effort or hidden motive to "hurt someone".

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258188 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 9:28 AM
Recommendations: 3
I meet the Governor twice during the campaign plus I vicariously know her through some friends. She has honorable motives and intentions. However, IMHO, the catastrophe was so great and beyond her comprehension and experience that she was unable to function due to too many choices and options. Made the mistake of trying to find the one best solution instead of the "70% solution". IIRC, the 70% solution is a USMC term that if you can pick an option that is correct 70% of the time, that is better than losing time trying to fine the 100% option.

JLC

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258189 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 9:29 AM
Recommendations: 2
I don't disagree that sometimes people do have explicitly "evil" intentions, and I will even go so far as to say that political "conspiracies" for some broader, overarching goal do exist here and there.

The reality is that these instances are usually the exception rather than the rule.

Maybe we should check to see if she got a call from Howard Dean to discuss hurricane response strategy. <g>

Most of the time, "screwed up" situations are simply the consequences of errors in judgement,

Particularly on the part of the voters.

incompetence (from lack of experience, planning, coordination, apathey, stupidity or outright laziness) and/or "nearly impossible" situations. I would say that laziness and apathy are usually the primary drivers.

I guess "out of her depth" would be a callous analogy here.

I think that a combination of the reasons in the previous paragraph caused the debacle, not any deliberate effort or hidden motive to "hurt someone".

I wish I had your faith. I think Nagin and Blanco should be the focus of as much investigative attention as Bush and FEMA.

1HF

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258190 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 9:40 AM
She has honorable motives and intentions. However, IMHO, the catastrophe was so great and beyond her comprehension and experience that she was unable to function due to too many choices and options. Made the mistake of trying to find the one best solution instead of the "70% solution". IIRC, the 70% solution is a USMC term that if you can pick an option that is correct 70% of the time, that is better than losing time trying to fine the 100% option.

JLC

If she has this problem and didn't realize it beforehand, it indicates a need for psychological screening and advise for people in power. Weaknesses like that should be identifiable. Difficulty with shades of gray is revealed in Myers-Briggs. If she was aware of it, she should have placed total responsibility in the hands of her choice for head of the state emergency response coordinator and she should have picked a decisive person for that.

1HF

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258191 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 9:43 AM
Recommendations: 10
An inflammatory and entirely USELESS poll merely revealing more of the poster's use of innuendo, political bias, and/or the poster's buddies.

I can't even be bothered to ask the OP why, in the face of tragedy for a major city, thousands of people,and both/all political parties, OP would waste our time with this.

Obviously must have Retired Too Early and/or have too much time on his hands.

Big Momma.

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258194 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 10:01 AM
Recommendations: 8
An inflammatory and entirely USELESS poll merely revealing more of the poster's use of innuendo, political bias, and/or the poster's buddies. -- Big Momma

Unfortunately required to provide some balance, unless you belive that all USELESS polls should be biased the other way. <G>

I can't even be bothered to ask the OP why

You don't have to call me OP. I'm not a little kid from Mayberry. <G>

in the face of tragedy for a major city, thousands of people,and both/all political parties, OP would waste our time with this.

Do you complain when the shoe is on the other foot?

Obviously must have Retired Too Early and/or have too much time on his hands.

Actually, I'm kinda pinned down and bored right now. I can't leave the house because my DW injured both ankles and broke a bone in her foot. I'd much rather be somewhere else. Would you take pity on me and come and care for her while I go on about my business? <g>

1HF

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258202 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 10:30 AM
Recommendations: 0
"DW injured both ankles and broke a bone in her foot"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ankle and foot injuries are a real bear to handle and tend to heal
so slowly.

What happened?

Howie52
If this is treading into "non-of-your-business" territory, feel
free to say go pound salt.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258208 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 10:46 AM
IIRC, the 70% solution is a USMC term that if you can pick an option that is correct 70% of the time, that is better than losing time trying to fine the 100% option. - JLC

I'd never heard that "term" before. Great idea! When I was the manager of the Animal Facilities and responsible for 13 people and thousands of animals (if you include mice and rats) I had to make quick decisions every day. Wish I'd known about the 70% option back then! I could of told my bosses that's what I was doing.

It's easy to second guess people. Hindsight is 20-20. When your there and in the heat of the moment you do the best you can. I can sure relate. I had one boss that used to drive me nuts telling me what I should have done. - Art

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258211 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 11:04 AM
Ankle and foot injuries are a real bear to handle and tend to heal
so slowly.

What happened?

Howie52
If this is treading into "non-of-your-business" territory, feel
free to say go pound salt.

One ankle was twisted one day doing a gardening task. The next day that ankle gave out as she was stepping down a step and she fell.

1HF

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258220 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 11:39 AM
One ankle was twisted one day doing a gardening task. The next day that ankle gave out as she was stepping down a step and she fell.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. I hope Netflix has been kind to you.

--fleg

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258235 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 12:19 PM

If she has this problem and didn't realize it beforehand, it indicates a need for psychological screening and advise for people in power. Weaknesses like that should be identifiable. Difficulty with shades of gray is revealed in Myers-Briggs. If she was aware of it, she should have placed total responsibility in the hands of her choice for head of the state emergency response coordinator and she should have picked a decisive person for that.

1HF

Unfortunately, one often doesn't show this "flaw" until put under pressure. I once worked with a surgeon, very intelligent, double boarded in internal medicine and surgery, and capable. As long as things were going as planned. Once deviation occurred, he would suffer from "analysis paralysis" and took forever to chose.

JLC

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258238 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 12:36 PM
I'd never heard that "term" before. Great idea!

Heres the book. I haven't read it before, but I'll probably put it on my to read list.

http://www.leadershipnow.com/leadershop/1978-5.html

JLC

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258243 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 1:13 PM
Use the people of NO as pawns to make Bush look bad
Brainlock and reveal her incompetence

It was tough, but I finally went with my usual rule of presuming stupidity rather than evil when there isn't compelling evidence.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258257 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 1:52 PM
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. I hope Netflix has been kind to you. --fleg

We're supposed to get another season four "Six Feet Under" in the mail today. I'm drooling at the prospect. I'm really into that show! We're going to watch it tonight when Bonnie get's home from work.
- Art

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258263 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 2:07 PM
We're supposed to get another season four "Six Feet Under" in the mail today. I'm drooling at the prospect. I'm really into that show! We're going to watch it tonight when Bonnie get's home from work.
- Art

I watched the last Six Feet Under forever a couple weeks ago and tears were rolling down my cheeks for the last 15 minutes. The next morning my eyes were all puffy and funny looking and I had to get out the Witch Hazel. I'll have to remember not to cry the day before if I want to look my best the morning after.

--catmeyoo

Author: prometheuss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258266 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 2:10 PM
- Art

It is a very entertaining show. The series finale this year was terrific. I hated to see it go, but that's the cycle of life and death ;-)

Regards,
Prometheuss

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258269 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 2:16 PM
I'll have to remember not to cry the day before if I want to look my best the morning after.

--catmeyoo

------------------------

Me too! BHM

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258333 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 5:17 PM
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. I hope Netflix has been kind to you.

--fleg

Thanks. I will convey that to her. If I subscribed to Netflix, maybe I wouldn't be posting USELESS polls. We still mostly wait for movies to show up on PPV or free cable channels.

1HF

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258362 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 6:25 PM
Sorry about your wife's foot problems.

I'd be glad to help out by bringing over home-made French Onion soup, french bread and salad, and chatting with her while you take a break. She could help me with my Friday Exam, and you could be free to run about and do your thing, ...anything...as long as it isn't another peevish poll! <g>

By the way, where do you live? I'm in California right now. (I wouldn't want the soup to get cold on the way to your house)

Big Momma.

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258370 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 6:34 PM
Sorry about your wife's foot problems.

Thanks.

I'd be glad to help out by bringing over home-made French Onion soup, french bread and salad, and chatting with her while you take a break. She could help me with my Friday Exam, and you could be free to run about and do your thing, ...anything...as long as it isn't another peevish poll! <g>

She'll be off her feet for about 10 days. I think you might miss your exam. <g>

By the way, where do you live? I'm in California right now. (I wouldn't want the soup to get cold on the way to your house)

NE Michigan (Lower Peninsula). We have a microwave. <g>

1HF

Author: BattleAxes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258466 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/8/2005 11:48 PM
Recommendations: 4
Blanco's background is a school teacher. I don't think she was that great at controlling a class of 20 kids, much less a state.

Louisiana has suffered, is suffering, and will suffer more for this one vote than just about any other election in our country's history.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258472 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/9/2005 12:21 AM
Blanco's background is a school teacher. I don't think she was that great at controlling a class of 20 kids, much less a state. - Battleaxes

When I taught school it was like trying to teach Physical Science to Chimpanzees. I swear to God. - Art

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258572 of 740110
Subject: Re: Poll: OT: Governor Blanco's Real Motives Date: 9/9/2005 7:07 PM
Louisiana has suffered, is suffering, and will suffer more for this one vote than just about any other election in our country's history.

I just heard that she promised repercussions for New Orleans after Nagin supported Jindal for governor a couple of years ago. Nagin was "iced out" because he didn't toe the party line. This just keeps getting richer and richer.

1HF

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement