Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 4Julianna Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: Poll: Portfolio reports Date: 4/18/2000 10:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
God no you'too inexperienced & tired to change
Heck yes why pad her pockets?

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Chipsboss Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3603 of 19380
Subject: Re: Poll: Portfolio reports Date: 4/19/2000 12:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Can I expect a yearly or quarterly report of all holdings from a discount broker?

Yes, I get monthly statements (or maybe quarterly when the account is totally inactive) at no charge from Charles Schwab. Schwab also provides me with on-line access, so I can check the accounts any time from home. Schwab even keeps my Vanguard Index Fund for me in both my taxable and tax-deferred accounts, although I bought it directly from Vanguard and had Vanguard transfer it to Schwab at no cost to me. Schwab also reinvests my dividends for me on Bergstrom Capital (BEM on AMEX) without charge. I have heard that Schwab service isn't so hot for small accounts -- don't know that from personal experience.

Chips, a happy Schwab client for seven years, paying no fees to Schwab and getting free book-keeping services, although rarely buying or selling anything

Author: ajh1120 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3606 of 19380
Subject: Re: Poll: Portfolio reports Date: 4/19/2000 1:38 PM
Can I expect a yearly or quarterly report of all holdings from a discount broker?

You get a monthly statement from Fidelity with all your holdings too.

Annually, they send a "portfolio allocation" statement too. Nice little circle graph -- mine just shows a big chunk for stocks, a little chunk for cash and the bonds and mutual fund chunks are non-existant.

Author: Jef1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3607 of 19380
Subject: Re: Poll: Portfolio reports Date: 4/19/2000 2:53 PM
I get a monthly report in the mail from Waterhouse, with pretty little color pie-charts.

Author: auntpat Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3617 of 19380
Subject: Re: Poll: Portfolio reports Date: 4/20/2000 5:55 PM
About discount brokers. Mine is TD Waterhouse. I receive a statement every month showing the entire portfolio, plus a record of any trades that were made during the preceding month.

According to my broker, TD Waterhouse employees are not allowed to give advice for any investments other than mutual funds and market indices, so for stocks, and bonds, you need to do your own homework.

Author: JDWinNOLA One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3618 of 19380
Subject: Re: Poll: Portfolio reports Date: 4/20/2000 6:59 PM
I have accounts, both IRA and regular, at Brown and Arvest. Both send monthly reports listing transactions during the month, if any, and the portfolio value (no. shares and value) of each stock at the last day of the month.

Discount brokers are generally not permitted to offer advice. They just take orders, thats why they are cheap. My accounts are relatively inactive probably less than 20 trades, buy and/or sell, total per year.

Jim

Author: DoktorDi Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3632 of 19380
Subject: Re: Poll: Portfolio reports Date: 4/22/2000 2:09 PM
<<Can I expect a yearly or quarterly report of all holdings from a discount broker.>>

I get monthly reports from DLJ, plus paper trail everytime I make a transaction, PLUS I can see it all online as well.

Author: RVGolding Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3633 of 19380
Subject: Re: Poll: Portfolio reports Date: 4/22/2000 3:26 PM
Waterhouse sends a monthly statement, as well as year end summary, making it easy to tell IRS.
RVG

Author: Leppert Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3641 of 19380
Subject: Re: Poll: Portfolio reports Date: 4/23/2000 2:57 PM
E-trade sends statements monthly. Not real understandable-it seems like LOT of paper. I wouldn't personally go with them again, but we are sort of stuck there for now.

Re: SS offset

You are right about it seeming to be adversely affecting the women. Most school teachers are women. Women usually outlive men and so that is another factor. Women usually have lower incomes and lower retirements than men... When the husbands die, women will probably have to take the survivors pension from their spouse's retirement(if they have the option) as it will probably be larger than their own pension. With the offset they will get none of their own(probably).

Women, you must research this for yourselves and plan accordingly!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement