UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (126) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734398  
Subject: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Privileg Date: 11/23/2002 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Revoke intercst's posting privileges
Revoke hocus' posting privileges
Leave everything as is

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84018 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/23/2002 11:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
Hocus' posts definitely need to be kept. Somebody in the psych department at a major university might be able to get a PhD dissertation out of a careful analysis.

Author: Fbomb101 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84025 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/23/2002 11:36 AM
Recommendations: 5
Can we just put a cap on the number or words/and or characters that H*c%s can post? Maybe start the limit at 15.

Regards,

Keith Jones

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84028 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/23/2002 11:43 AM
Recommendations: 25
Nope. Just plain old vanilla near psychotic (highly neurotic at the least) bipolar syndrome. Right now he's in one of his typical manic phases.

galeno, here you are, a DOCTOR, for cryin' out loud--someone who's SUPPOSED to be compassionate, dishing out the most egregious examples of hit-below-the-belt personal character assassination to be found on this board. You have NO BASIS on which to label hocus with a mental illness except your own need to make YOURSELF appear more stable.

Maybe it's fear...did you ever think of that, Mr. Bon Vivant?! Maybe he doesn't have enough money and is trying to figure out a way to make that money last. And thinks that others may be headed for a predicament if they too use 4% as a guide. If that could possibly be the case, then this board should HELP, not hinder, his efforts to keep body and soul together. He may not be going about it in the right way, but maybe YOU, the height of self-sustenance, could practice your vaunted ability to see through to the core of things, and offer some solid advice, not ridicule.

On an entirely unrelated note, this report was posted at the Buying and Selling a Home board. I didn't originate this gentleman's loan, but the feelings that accompany it are what I participate in every day, which is why I enjoy my work.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18195926

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84029 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/23/2002 12:07 PM
Recommendations: 2
Do not revoke any posting priveleges, but put a word limit on Hocus's.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84065 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/23/2002 5:43 PM
Recommendations: 3
"Can we just put a cap on the number or words/and or characters that H*c%s can post? Maybe start the limit at 15. Regards," Keith Jones

That might be cruel and unusual punishment! What is wonderful about participating on message boards is if you find a post you don't like for some reason all you have to do is hit the "next" button and move on. I have really started enjoying the "ignore thread" button. It is amazing. I have to admit that I have never waded all the way through one of Hocus's long posts, I think that he has a right to post them, and I have a right to read the begining and the end. I have mentioned before that I have the attention span of a gnat and so there is absolutely no way that I could make it through the last couple of Hocus's posts. He really outdid himself! It is pretty durn hilariously funny! - Art

Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84082 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/23/2002 7:07 PM
Recommendations: 31
<Maybe he doesn't have enough money and is trying to figure out a way to make that money last. And thinks that others may be headed for a predicament if they too use 4% as a guide. If that could possibly be the case, then this board should HELP, not hinder, his efforts to keep body and soul together.>

Catherine:

I understand your feelings about some people making it too personal. I tend to agree, but I wonder why Hocus persists in shoveling something against the tide. I question the rationality of it.

Now from what I infer, things have gotten a bit tight in Hocusland. I no longer read his posts, so I only have the snippets that other posters include, plus their commentary. I don't want to play too freely with the math, but the 4% SWR assumes a mix of equities and fixed income. Hocus, for quite some time has been stuck on a 0/100% allocation. The SWR for that is somewhere around 2.3%. He has been withdrawing at a rate way above that, which is a recipe for disaster (unless one has an alternate source of income large enough to offset that).

I firmly believe that REHP readers would gladly welcome an alternative where you could be entirely in fixed income assets and still withdraw an inflation adjusted 4-5% each year. In fact I am sure they would crown such a person the new emperor. Unfortunately, there aint no such animal.

Over the last 6 weeks the S&P 500 has advanced around 20%. In another post, I mentioned that one does not get a knock on the door telling you to get back in the market. There are many people who cannot handle the volatility of the markets if they have too high a percentage of equities. There is nothing wrong with that. Long before they start to live on a SWR, a comfortable allocation should be arrived at. It is not inherently wrong to go with a 0/100 allocation. It just means you need to understand that your plan has to take that into account. You will need one or several of the following: a larger nest egg, to work longer, to work part time, to lower your annual expenses or receive an unexpected windfall.

Hocus has made it a LT habit of criticizing the SWR without producing the goods on how a 100% fixed income can support a 4% withdrawal rate. He also spouts how he wants to move up to a 50% stock allocation. While he has been fiddling, the market has had a strong surge. This is not to say that the bear market is over but for all his writing there has been no illumination as to how he will determine when it is best for him or anyone else to get back in.

I remember discussing the subject of REITs with him a while back. He said that several years ago that they were on his very short list of investment options that he intended to investigate. Buying REITs in 2000 would have been an excellent strategy. Several posters on this board talked about it at the time. I put it on my short list of things to investigate too. My research led to an action. I bought a number of REITs that gave my income a shot in the arm as well as providing me with some healthy gains over the last 2+ years.

Some people like real estate other do not as you well know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. People here sometimes provide me with ideas. I decide for myself which ones to use or ignore. I was very drawn to an asset class that had a very low correlation to the S&P while providing a consistant stream of income. For me the bulk of my time was spent on what specific investments to make. The practicality of the asset class was a no brainer for me. I think it should have been for Hocus too. Yet here we are some 2+ years and hundreds of mind numbing posts later and he still has not had enough time to properly investigate them. You have to excuse me if his style does not provide me with much confidence. Certainly not enough to actually follow anything that he suggests. He is free to post what he wants to, but in my mind a rational person would have taken the discussion elswhere a long time ago.

BRG

Author: hocus Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84137 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/24/2002 6:02 AM
Recommendations: 7
Now from what I infer, things have gotten a bit tight in Hocusland. I no longer read his posts, so I only have the snippets that other posters include, plus their commentary.

I see right away why you are having difficulty figuring this all out, Gurdison. The other side is engaging in deliberate deception, as well as disruption, ridicule, and attack (I define each of these a little differently, although there is at times some overlap). It would be impossible to make any sense of this mess by reading only the disruptive posts.

My investments have been doing very well. One example is the large amount of money I have in Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) at a 3.5 percent real return. The value of these went up significantly during the time when bond prices were skyrocking. I have had huge gains in the value of my house (which I own free and clear) during the past two years. And I have done well with the certificates of deposit I have in which I locked in five-year returns of 7 percent.

As these CDs come due, I have a lot of cash available for stocks as they fall to lower prices. By being able to purchase many more shares than I would have had I followed intercst's advice at the time of commencement of my retirement (August 2000), I am way ahead of the game. I thank my lucky stars that I studied the question of safe withdrawal rates on my own rather than relying on the advice on the subject that intercst posts here (which is not to say that I did not also make valuable use of his study in putting together my investment plan; it does a great job on the questions it addresses).

It is not inherently wrong to go with a 0/100 allocation. It just means you need to understand that your plan has to take that into account. You will need one or several of the following: a larger nest egg, to work longer, to work part time, to lower your annual expenses or receive an unexpected windfall.

This is the key question on the table. If the intercst study considers all issues involved in calculation of the safe withdrawal rate, then what you say here is true. If it does not, then it can be possible to craft a plan that allows you to achieve a safe early retirement years sooner by following an allocation other than the one recommended by intercst.

I say that intercst did not consider all the factors that bear on the question. William Bernstein, a recognized authority and author on the question of stock allocation strategies, agrees with me. He says that, if you consider all the factors, you come up with a number nothing at all close to the one intercst came with.

That's why I say that intercst is making fraudulent claims. For some people, following his claims means one of two things: (1) their retirement will be delayed by years; or (2) their retirements will go bust before they die. Neither possibility is a good one for the readers of this board. There is no good reason why people should not be permitted to consider alternatives to the intercst approach on this board.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84153 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/24/2002 10:34 AM
It is not inherently wrong to go with a 0/100 allocation. It just means you need to understand that your plan has to take that into account. You will need one or several of the following: a larger nest egg, to work longer, to work part time, to lower your annual expenses or receive an unexpected windfall.

hocus says: This is the key question on the table. If the intercst study considers all issues involved in calculation of the safe withdrawal rate, then what you say here is true. If it does not, then it can be possible to craft a plan that allows you to achieve a safe early retirement years sooner by following an allocation other than the one recommended by intercst.

If this is true--that The Study doesn't consider all issues involved in calculating the SWF--and the issues as itemized above (and any others you care to include) are well known, why don't you create your own study and become the new Board General?

The solution to your "problem" seems so simple, hocus. Just post the damn thing (The New Study), and everyone will "Ooohhh" and "Ahhhhh" and that'll be the end of intercst.

Author: iamdb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84180 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/24/2002 2:31 PM
Hocus,

The allusion to William Bernstein as an authority would be more compelling if you had included a reference to his comment. W. Bernstein in his X book or Y article dated DDMMYY, page Z, says "whatever statement he made" that supports my own view. A scholarly approach would help the reader verify your claims.

Even listing exactly what relevant points intercst leaves out would help us, but not a point as nebulous as that investors are likely to panic and not maintain their asset allocation during major swings in the market.

db

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84359 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/24/2002 10:11 PM
Recommendations: 4
CC scolds:
galeno, here you are, a DOCTOR, for cryin' out loud--someone who's
SUPPOSED to be compassionate, dishing out the most egregious examples of
hit-below-the-belt personal character assassination to be found on this board. You have NO BASIS on which to label hocus with a mental illness except your own need to make YOURSELF appear more stable.

I disagree my dear collegue <grin>. In your highly qualified medical opinion, what diagnosis do YOU give him?

Author: hocus Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84367 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/24/2002 10:31 PM
If this is true--that The Study doesn't consider all issues involved in calculating the SWF--and the issues as itemized above (and any others you care to include) are well known, why don't you create your own study and become the new Board General?
The solution to your "problem" seems so simple, hocus. Just post the damn thing (The New Study), and everyone will "Ooohhh" and "Ahhhhh" and that'll be the end of intercst.

Much of the data needed to determine the true safe withdrawal rate is not publicly available. This aspect of the question was addressed in the "We've Found the Data!" post

Author: hocus Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84368 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/24/2002 10:36 PM
The allusion to William Bernstein as an authority would be more compelling if you had included a reference to his comment. W. Bernstein in his X book or Y article dated DDMMYY, page Z, says "whatever statement he made" that supports my own view. A scholarly approach would help the reader verify your claims.

I did exactly this many times in the course of this debate. The fact that there is a poster on the board at this stage of the proceedings who does not realize this is testimony to how unrelenting and far-reaching a fraud it is that has been practiced on us. Posts that are offered not to add information but solely to exhaust the board so that it can not make sense of the proceeedings I term "disruptive."

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84395 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:09 AM
Recommendations: 33
hocus said:

The fact that there is a poster on the board at this stage of the proceedings who does not realize this is testimony to how unrelenting and far-reaching a fraud it is that has been practiced on us. Posts that are offered not to add information but solely to exhaust the board so that it can not make sense of the proceeedings I term "disruptive."

=====================

I hate to break it to you hocus, but as much as you would like to think this is some kind of a trial, it isn't. It's just a discussion board and you are just a poster. There isn't a transcript - just a series of posts.

Posts that are offered not to add information but solely to exhaust the board so that it can not make sense of the proceeedings I term "disruptive."

IMO, 99% of the words you have posted here in the last few weeks have not added information. And, IMO, your posts have been very disruptive.

GG
P.S. You've heard the phrase, "It takes one to know one." It is fairly commonly accepted that bipolars can see bipolar behavior in others rather acutely. I am bipolar (and successfully medicated). See my post about bipolar disorder if you are interested:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18028188
In that post, I have listed the signs & symptoms of bipolar disorder:
Increased energy, activity, and restlessness
Excessively "high," overly good, euphoric mood
Extreme irritability
Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
Distractibility, can't concentrate well
Little sleep needed
Unrealistic beliefs in one's abilities and powers
Poor judgment
Spending sprees
A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
Increased sexual drive
Abuse of drugs, particularly cocaine, alcohol, and sleeping medications
Provocative, intrusive, or aggressive behavior
Denial that anything is wrong

hocus, I believe that you should ask a medical professional for their opinion. I am not saying this as a way of criticizing you, ridiculing you or putting you down in any way. If I did, I would be criticizing myself, ridiculing myself or putting myself down, now wouldn't I?

I wish you the best. Honestly.

GG
treated bipolar

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84400 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:29 AM
GritsGuru writes,

P.S. You've heard the phrase, "It takes one to know one." It is fairly commonly accepted that bipolars can see bipolar behavior in others rather acutely. I am bipolar (and successfully medicated). See my post about bipolar disorder if you are interested:
In that post, I have listed the signs & symptoms of bipolar disorder:

Very impressive post on bipolar disorder. I'm glad you were successfully diagnosed and treated.

intercst

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84402 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:33 AM
GG informs:
It is fairly commonly accepted that bipolars can see bipolar behavior in others rather acutely.

So can any half-competent general practitioner <grin>.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84405 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:39 AM
Recommendations: 0
galeno writes,

GG informs:
It is fairly commonly accepted that bipolars can see bipolar behavior in others rather acutely.

I guess it's easy if they show up in your office during the manic phase, but during the depressive phase, how do you differentiate between bipolar disorder and garden-variety depression?

intercst

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84408 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:47 AM
I disagree my dear colleague <grin>. In your highly qualified medical opinion, what diagnosis do YOU give him?

galeno, are you a psychiatric physician? If not, then why do you, a responsible licensed physician, throw around the diagnosis of mental illness as if it were nothing?

As for hocus' campaign, I'm utterly exasperated by it as I believe he has TOTALLY lost credibility.

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84410 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:49 AM
Very impressive post on bipolar disorder. I'm glad you were successfully diagnosed and treated.

intercst

===============

Thanks.

GG

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84411 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:58 AM
Recommendations: 8
GG informs:

galeno replies:

===================

As can most social workers, paramedics, cops, nurses, etc.

I just thought that if it came from a bipolar, hocus might at least consider that it might be true. Nuttin personal, Dr. G., but I don't think hocus is hearing much of anything you say. 'Course it could be suggested that he's not hearing anything from anybody these days.

If he is bipolar as you and I both believe, I, for one, would like to see him get treatment - not for the board's sake, but for his sake.

GG

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84414 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 1:08 AM
I guess it's easy if they show up in your office during the manic phase, but during the depressive phase, how do you differentiate between bipolar disorder and garden-variety depression?

intercst

==================

You can't. The signs and symptoms for uni-polar depression and bipolar depression are the same. The diagnosis usually comes after comments made by the patient about his/her financial difficulties (or other symptoms) that cause a physician to ask probing questions. galeno is right that it is fairly easy to diagnose. The doc just has to ask the right questions.

If a patient is seeing the doc on a regular basis, the doc IS going to see the patient in a manic stage eventually and would make the diagnosis then, if not before.

GG
my take on it

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84432 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 7:43 AM
intercst asks:

You talk to the family. The family will usually reveal all you need to know.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84433 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 7:51 AM
CC asks:
galeno, are you a psychiatric physician? If not, then why do you, a responsible licensed physician, throw around the diagnosis of mental illness as if it were nothing?

No. I'm not a psychiatrist. It doesn't take a mechanical engineer with a PhD to determine that your car just ran out of gas. <grin>

Because that's what I used to do as a doctor--throw around diagnoses. I would do it about 30 times a day. I have diagnosed heart attacks (I'm not a cardiologist) epilepsy (I'm not a neurologist) stomach ulcers (I'm not a gastroenterologist) hemmorroids (I'm not a proctologist) etc etc etc.

In this case, the diagnosis of bipolar disease is a slam dunk.

"Have I made myself clear Mr. Randall?" "Crystal Ms. Rachett!"

Author: fox1219 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84470 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 11:34 AM
Grits Guru:

I would not dare to Post re: the debate raging on this Bd. I have absolutely no right to do so, because I do not Post on this Bd.

I have read the entire thread, because so many Posts ended up on The Best Of. But I'm going to do so anyway in response to your Post.

I remember well your original Post Re: Bi-Polar. I am remiss that I did not E-Mail you to thank you.

Last night after wading through the thread, I actually became worried about the poster to whom it was directed. All I could think, this person could be Bi-Polar. I have been dealing with a 33bi-polar son, and trying to get a drugs that will work. You have to have dealt with the illnes to even begin to recognize same.

I hope that that person would take an on-line test Re: Bi-Polar. If there is any possibility that he is Bi-Polar, it could save his life.

Later, I'am going to Post here, because the thread made me question my own retirement situation. Is the goal to withdraw 4-5% from retirement account to keep your principal intact, And then leave it all to your heirs?
Best
Fox

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84473 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 11:46 AM
GG - very insightful post. I asked my psychiatrist son last night, "what do you think of someone that posts 30-40 posts a day with posts that are many paragraphs long, often rambling?" - immediate reaction was "manic". He treats such people every day.

I'm with you that treatment is the way to go. Seeing a doctor is the way to go. Hopefully, there is a family member that is working on this. I really hope that help will be sought. And as you said, I mean that in the most concerned and sympathetic way. Mental illness is difficult, no fault of the patient, but it can be very hard for the public deal with if they don't know about it or understand it.

And I commend you on staying on your meds. I know how difficult it is, and I know how important it is. You are definitely an asset to our community.

arrete

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84476 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 11:53 AM
And I commend you on staying on your meds. I know how difficult it is, and I know how important it is. You are definitely an asset to our community.

arrete

===================

Thank you very much.

GG

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84477 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 11:54 AM
No. I'm not a psychiatrist.

You're not even a responsible former physician--throwing diagnoses around on a message board!! (Personally, I don't believe you're really a doctor.)

You're also not much of a film buff--ya got your plot characters all mixed up.

Author: eboller Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84479 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 11:59 AM
GG - very insightful post. I asked my psychiatrist son last night, "what do you think of someone that posts 30-40 posts a day with posts that are many paragraphs long, often rambling?" - immediate reaction was "manic". He treats such people every day.

I think anyone who posts 30-40 posts has at least moderate issues. That includes many people on these boards.

Eric

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84481 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:01 PM
fox1219 asks,

Later, I'am going to Post here, because the thread made me question my own retirement situation. Is the goal to withdraw 4-5% from retirement account to keep your principal intact, And then leave it all to your heirs?

In the vast majority of cases, that's exactly what happens. Retirees limiting their withdrawals to 4% of a portfolio invested at the efficient frontier will reach old age with far more money than they can ever spend.

However, the real goal of the 4% withdrawal rate is to protect the retiree against something like the return of the Crash of 1929 and the Great Depression. If the Crash doesn't happen, you'll have more money than you'll know what to do with.

intercst

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84482 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:03 PM
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make this easy diagnosis. Of course he's not listening to anybody because he's "surfing the mania" right now.

Perhaps, but note the compassion with which GG makes his "diagnosis." You, on the other hand, throw the DX around for sport, to make fun.

That's why I don't believe you're a real doctor. A real doctor wouldn't behave as you do.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84483 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:07 PM
arrete writes,

I'm with you that treatment is the way to go. Seeing a doctor is the way to go. Hopefully, there is a family member that is working on this. I really hope that help will be sought. And as you said, I mean that in the most concerned and sympathetic way. Mental illness is difficult, no fault of the patient, but it can be very hard for the public deal with if they don't know about it or understand it.

Very nice, arrete.

I agree. If you know who gets treatment and stays on his meds, he'll likely be welcomed back here with open arms.

intercst

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84484 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:16 PM
eboller writes,

I think anyone who posts 30-40 posts has at least moderate issues. That includes many people on these boards.

Wouldn't the length of the posts make a difference?

I mean, you could fire off 30-40 one-liners in less than one hour.

You'd need to work night and day to match the 20 paragraph tomes of you know who.

intercst

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84490 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:42 PM
Catherine Coy writes, to galeno:

Perhaps, but note the compassion with which GG makes his "diagnosis." You, on the other hand, throw the DX around for sport, to make fun.

Very good point, CC. If hocus is indeed suffering some form of mental illness, he deserves our compassion and concern, not our derision.

I know I posted some months ago that the person who wrote "The New Luxuries" could not possibly be "loony". With this new slew of posts, however, I've found myself wondering whether hocus is unwell. In particular, this latest call to get intercst banned from the board is over the top, IMHO.

Whoever it was that posted about A Beautiful Mind made a good comparison. It was a reminder that a person can be truly brilliant yet still suffer these types of problems.

I feel sad about this whole exchange because I was in hocus' corner -- I sensed he had some very important insights to share but that he just wasn't putting them across very well. I still feel that way, and it's unfortunate that things have gotten to this point.

I sincerely hope that hocus' wife and family will be able to see that he gets the help he needs. He's been a very valued contributor here.

Author: fox1219 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84498 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 12:55 PM
Sorry, But I can't shut up re: this subject.

There are many types of Bi-Polar. The classic manic-depression or Bi-Polar1 is pretty easy to recongize, when people are in a full blown manic attack. Bi-Polar 11 is much harder. Many are not diagnosed for years. So by this time are in jail or have lost everything. I did not have a clue that my son was Bi-Polar 11 untill 3yrs. ago. He did not live at home, and kept it well hidden. He came an alcholic and after 7tx. centers, multiple suicide attemps, he still wasn't diagnosed. AA twice a day, & he couldn't do it. He drank to slow down his mind, but he never would say anything panic attacks & not being able to think.
He got totally out of controll, had to move in with me. I got a clue, from a T.V. Programe with K. Jaminson. She is the head of John Hopkins Psy. Dept. and decided to come out of the closet.She wrote a book " An Unquiet Mind." Listening to her, my mind just went. "That's Mark".
Bought her book, Sure enough he was diagnosed Bi-Polar 11. By this time, he had attempted suicide 4times. Couldn't work. Ended up om Medicade. ETC<ETC>ETC>
I cried clear through E.R. the last 2wks. They have a sub-plot with Abby & her Mother who is played by Sally Fields who is Bi-Polar.1 Now her brother has come down with it. For anyone interested in the subjest, watch E.R. this Thur. They're are doing a pretty good job of telling it like it is.
The longer you go without tx. the worse you get.
Best
Diane
Didn't mean to but in, but getting people help is a hugh problem.
Fox

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84503 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 1:11 PM
I feel sad about this whole exchange because I was in hocus' corner -- I sensed he had some very important insights to share but that he just wasn't putting them across very well. I still feel that way, and it's unfortunate that things have gotten to this point.

You're a kind person, andrew. reb, if you ever become mentally ill (it could happen), I hope you have someone like andrew in your corner.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84504 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 1:17 PM
Didn't mean to butt in, but getting people help is a huge problem.

Isn't it something that we can't even rely on our resident "doctor" to provide the kind of insightful compassionate commentary about mental illness that we have seen from "ordinary" Fools on this board.

That's why the "doctor" probably isn't a doctor. He sure doesn't act like one.

Author: eboller Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84505 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 1:22 PM
Wouldn't the length of the posts make a difference?

I mean, you could fire off 30-40 one-liners in less than one hour.

You'd need to work night and day to match the 20 paragraph tomes of you know who.

intercst

Well, length certainly adds to the issues obviously. However, I argue 30-40 posts, regardless of the length, at the very least represents a little too much time on one's hands. Then again, if that's what they enjoy doing. so be it.

Eric

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84510 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 1:31 PM
CatherineCoy writes,

<<<Didn't mean to butt in, but getting people help is a huge problem.>>>

Isn't it something that we can't even rely on our resident "doctor" to provide the kind of insightful compassionate commentary about mental illness that we have seen from "ordinary" Fools on this board.

Wouldn't questioning the credentials of our resident physician be considered a personal attack? <grin>

My God! He's already saved one man's life with his incisive medical comments:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18137819

Let's hope you know who takes his sage advice and seeks treatment.

intercst

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84512 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 1:36 PM
Wouldn't questioning the credentials of our resident physician be considered a personal attack? <grin>

That's a bit of a gray call but, when put up against The Doctor's tirades, it pales.

I continue to question his credentials.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84513 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 1:50 PM
CC writes:

That's why I don't believe you're a real doctor. A real doctor wouldn't behave as you do.

And I don't believe you're a REAL mortgage broker. Nanny nanny boo boo to you too <grin>!

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84514 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 1:52 PM
intercst writes:
I agree. If you know who gets treatment and stays on his meds, he'll likely be welcomed back here with open arms.

Speak for yourself oh fearless leader <grin>! I think this is the first real disagreement I've ever had with you. Oh well!

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84548 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 4:34 PM
See my post about bipolar disorder if you are interested:

Grits,

You have true grit IMO. I've seen this disorder up close and personal. Congratulations in tackling it head on, perservere.

InParadise

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84563 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 5:59 PM
CCoy: Isn't it something that we can't even rely on our resident "doctor" to provide the kind of insightful compassionate commentary about mental illness that we have seen from "ordinary" Fools on this board.

Jeeze, Catherine,

Just how many doctors do you know? My sister is a traveling nurse and Galeno fits the description of 90% of the doctors she works with. According to her, they tend to be quite the egomaniacs.

InParadise,
thinking you need to ditch those rose colored glasses.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84568 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 6:17 PM
Just how many doctors do you know? My sister is a traveling nurse and Galeno fits the description of 90% of the doctors she works with.

And people give me the Evil Eye cuz I'm a mortgage broker. Jeez...

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84570 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 6:26 PM
Grits,

You have true grit IMO. I've seen this disorder up close and personal. Congratulations in tackling it head on, perservere.

InParadise

==================

Thanks, InParadise!

GG

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84579 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 6:53 PM
InParadise reports:
My sister is a traveling nurse and Galeno fits the description of 90% of the doctors she works with. According to her, they tend to be quite the egomaniacs.

Can I help it if I am:
1. Tall
2. Handsome
3. Charming
4. Noble
5. Rich
6. Intelligent
7. Educated
8. Well-bred
9. Humble
10. Etc etc etc

Sometimes I think I was misclassifed as a human being. I should be a god or at least a demigod. Don't you think?

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84580 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 6:54 PM
"fox1219 asks,
Is the goal to withdraw 4-5% from retirement account to keep your principal intact, And then leave it all to your heirs?"

"In the vast majority of cases, that's exactly what happens. Retirees limiting their withdrawals to 4% of a portfolio invested at the efficient frontier will reach old age with far more money than they can ever spend.

However, the real goal of the 4% withdrawal rate is to protect the retiree against something like the return of the Crash of 1929 and the Great Depression. If the Crash doesn't happen, you'll have more money than you'll know what to do with."

intercst

Actually, there's no reason why you can't continually fine tune your withdrawals, providing there not tied to 72(t) distributions. Before your age 59 1/2 your tied to goverment regulations, but once past that age you can do whatever the heck you want. Some years you can take out more and other years less. If you start getting old, and your worried that you are leaving too much to your circling raptor/vulture looking nephews and nieces, spend it down, take some world class trips or buy yourself a Lincoln Navigator. It's not written in stone. If you want to die broke, spend it. No one's going to starve in this country. Restaurant's throw away more food than most people eat. In fact, so do grocery stores. There are a whole group of hippies called the "Rainbow People" who make their living by eating from dumpsters. I think you can do a search on the net and it will tell you about them. - Art

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84581 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 6:57 PM
Art informs:
There are a whole group of hippies called the "Rainbow People" who make their living by eating from dumpsters. I think you can do a search on the net and it will tell you about them.

Why in goodness' name are they called "Rainbow People"?

And while I have your attention, what does DH mean (some of the women use this expression here and I've never understood it)?

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84583 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 7:00 PM
Gee, Galeno,

Lets not forget so modest and caring, loyal to his wife.

Galeno: Sometimes I think I was misclassifed as a human being.

LOL. Won't argue with that!

InParadise,
who can think of several other species she would classify Galeno as other than human.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84584 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 7:03 PM
Galeno: And while I have your attention, what does DH mean (some of the women use this expression here and I've never understood it)?

Though I'm quite sure from your self professed cavorting you would take DH to mean "designated hitter",;-) in this case it refers to "Dear Husband".

InParadise

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84587 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 7:13 PM
CC asks:

H*cus helpfully replies:

Much of the data needed to determine the true safe withdrawal rate is not publicly available. This aspect of the question was addressed in the "We've Found the Data!" post

The data in question are being held in an underground bunker near Groom Lake, Nevada. Better known to most people as Area 51.

Because the leaders of the Tri-Lateral Comission (of which intercst is a voting member) do not want you to see these data, it is unlikely they will ever give the CIA permission to do so.

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84601 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 8:36 PM
galeno said:

Sometimes I think I was misclassifed as a human being. I should be a god or at least a demigod. Don't you think?

==========================

I think you misspelled "demigag"

GG

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84604 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 9:05 PM
galeno actually seems to think:

galeno, whoever wrote this song must really know you well!!!

Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble,
When you're perfect in every way.

I can't wait to look in the mirror,
Cause I get better looking each day.
To know me is to love me.
I must be a hell of a man.
But I'm doing the best that I can.

I used to have a girlfriend,
But I guess she just couldn't compete
With all of these love-starved women,
Who keep clamoring at my feet
Well I prob'ly could find me another
But I guess they're all in awe of me
Who cares, I never get lonesome,
Cause I treasure my own company.

Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble, ...

I guess you could say I'm a loner,
A cowboy outlaw, tough and proud
Oh, I could have lots of friends if I want-a
But then I wouldn't stand out from the crowd
Some folks say that I'm egotistical
Hell, I don't even know what that means
I guess it has somethin' to do with the way
That I fill out my skin-tight blue jeans.

Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble, ...

-

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84608 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 9:26 PM
Instead of a demigod, we'll probably see a short, fat, greasy-haired cholo who looks like he just got off the boat.

So does this mean you're ending your jihad against personal attacks?

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84609 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 9:27 PM
CC suggests:

I think galeno should put his money where his mouth is and post a link to a full length photo of himself.

Oh, God, please, no. I'm sure it would be a nude photo or something of him, probably smoking a joint to boot. None of us want to see that!

-

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84610 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 9:34 PM

Why don't you Fool Alert it if you feel that way? Knock yourself out.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84612 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 9:36 PM
Oh, God, please, no. I'm sure it would be a nude photo or something of him, probably smoking a joint to boot. None of us want to see that!

LOL! Reminds me of the recurring "non-character" on Friends--Ugly Naked Guy--who lives across the hall from them.

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84615 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 9:47 PM
I think galeno should put his money where his mouth is and post a link to a full length photo of himself. Instead of a demigod, we'll probably see a short, fat, greasy-haired cholo who looks like he just got off the boat. Easy to brag about yourself when no one can see you, eh, galeno? Of course, even if he posted a photo, we'd have no way to know if it was even him.

======================

When I read his posts, I have a visual image of Cheech Marin.

GG

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84618 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 9:53 PM
Recommendations: 19
I wrote:

CC wrote:

I've never FA'd a post except for spam. IMO, the benefits of censorship are seldom worth the consequences. However, I do feel the need to point out the irony of you condeming others for behavior you engage in yourself. If you really feel the way you claim to, you'd FA the post yourself. Or you may wish to rethink your book burning campaign.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84624 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 10:15 PM
I've never FA'd a post except for spam.

This is galeno we're talking about, for cryin' out loud! Rules of civility don't apply to him! Not even the rules of humanity!

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84634 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 10:42 PM
tmeri wrote:
galeno, whoever wrote this song must really know you well!!!

When you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror,
Cause I get better looking each day.
To know me is to love me.
I must be a hell of a man.
But I'm doing the best that I can.

That person does know me very well. I wrote that song <grin>.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84635 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 10:45 PM
CC writes:
I think galeno should put his money where his mouth is and post a link to a full length photo of himself. Instead of a demigod, we'll probably see a short, fat, greasy-haired cholo who looks like he just got off the boat. Easy to brag about yourself when no one can see you, eh, galeno? Of course, even if he posted a photo, we'd have no way to know if it was even him.

Tell ya what CC, you live in what part of CA? I'll be in CA probably in mid-January. You can invite me for a cup of Starbuck's coffee if we can hook up. Deal?

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84636 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 10:47 PM
tmeri speculates:

I only smoke joints when I'm at the beach or otherwise outside my home. At home, I use a bong. I'm very health concious you know.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84639 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 10:51 PM
sykesix wrote:
I've never FA'd a post except for spam. IMO, the benefits of censorship are seldom worth the consequences. However, I do feel the need to point out the irony of you condeming others for behavior you engage in yourself. If you really feel the way you claim to, you'd FA the post yourself. Or you may wish to rethink your book burning campaign.

Acually, CC is ok in my book. She reminds me of my little sister, only much more laid back and older.

Author: golfwaymore Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84640 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 10:51 PM
Galeno offers to CC,

Tell ya what CC, you live in what part of CA? I'll be in CA probably in mid-January. You can invite me for a cup of Starbuck's coffee if we can hook up. Deal?

I couldnt help that this caught my eye...

I have several male and female college student friends...

I'm wondering Galeno, if your definition of hook up is the same as the college kid's definition of hook up?

And following that thought...what is CC's definition of hook up?

This could get interesting....

Golfwaymore

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84642 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 10:52 PM
galeno lies:

That person does know me very well. I wrote that song <grin>.

Snort. OK, I have to give you one of my precious recs for that! ;-)

-

Author: sydsydsyd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84644 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 10:53 PM
I'm wondering Galeno, if your definition of hook up is the same as the college kid's definition of hook up?

And following that thought...what is CC's definition of hook up?

This could get interesting....

"Interesting" is not the first word that comes to mind.

sydsydsyd

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84645 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 10:55 PM
CC accurately points out:
At the risk of seeming inhospitable, galeno, you'd better not leave Costa Rica. You'd be depriving a village somewhere of its idiot. :-)

This is true. The average IQ of my village is 160. Mine is just a meager 144. They kick me out of town at the begining of the year during census time to keep the average up. Thus, I'm forced to go to somewhere every year. I choose CA for Jan. So CC, do we have a date?

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84648 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 11:01 PM
sydsydsyd writes:

"Interesting" is not the first word that comes to mind.

Syd, Syd, Syd. You are indeed the king of the one-liners!

-

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84650 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 11:02 PM
GWM asks:
I couldnt help that this caught my eye...
I have several male and female college student friends...

And following that thought...what is CC's definition of hook up? This could get interesting....

Actually, I learned the term "hook up" from my wife's nephew who has been living in CA as an illegal alien since 1997. He's a college student in one of the junior colleges in LA (don't ask me how he did this, I have no clue).

As far as I know, "hook up" just means "meet". Right?????????? CC has absolutely nothing to worry about by "hooking up" with me. She's WAY OUT of my age range as far as "that type of activity" is concerned.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84653 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 11:16 PM
CC has absolutely nothing to worry about by "hooking up" with me. She's WAY OUT of my age range as far as "that type of activity" is concerned.

Well, galeno, "hooking up" means the same to me as it does your illegal nephew. As a matter of fact, I date younger men exclusively. Why? Because I can (and they have more stamina). So you're waaaay out of my age range.

Thanks, anyway.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84658 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/25/2002 11:45 PM
Recommendations: 32
CatherineCoy writes,

<<<You can invite me for a cup of Starbuck's coffee if we can hook up. Deal? >>>

At the risk of seeming inhospitable, galeno, you'd better not leave Costa Rica. You'd be depriving a village somewhere of its idiot. :-)

How is calling galeno an idiot any different than calling you know who at loon?

intercst

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84660 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 12:04 AM
How is calling galeno an idiot any different than calling you know who a loon?

Because galeno, a physician (allegedly), makes fun of and torments the mentally ill (not that hocus is) so, therefore, all bets are off. He just doesn't have much in the way of decency. Sorry, I can't get over his 9/11 comments. So sue me.

Author: prometheuss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84669 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 1:10 AM
Recommendations: 6
intercst to CC: How is calling galeno an idiot any different than calling you know who at loon?

No different. CC is clearly a hypocrite. What a surprise! She likes to butt in and stir up trouble. Haven't you noticed how she baits others? She likes to argue.

Prometheuss

Author: prometheuss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84670 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 1:12 AM
Recommendations: 10
CC: Because galeno, a physician (allegedly), makes fun of and torments the mentally ill (not that hocus is) so, therefore, all bets are off. He just doesn't have much in the way of decency. Sorry, I can't get over his 9/11 comments. So sue me.

This is nothing more than weak and pathetic rationalization. CC wants one standard for herself and another that she applies to others.

Prometheuss

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84671 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 1:23 AM
CC is clearly a hypocrite.

I agree it's hypocritical of me to criticize galeno for calling hocus a loon and then call him an idiot. Somehow, though, it just feels right. :-)

Talk about baiting! Come on! We've got some MASTERS of it on this board!

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84672 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 1:24 AM
C wants one standard for herself and another that she applies to others.

Nope. Only galeno. Who said life was fair?

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84674 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:03 AM
How is calling galeno an idiot any different than calling you know who at loon?

intercst

She's the mommy.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84677 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 8:14 AM
CC writes:
Well, galeno, "hooking up" means the same to me as it does your illegal nephew. As a matter of fact, I date younger men exclusively. Why? Because I can (and they have more stamina). So you're waaaay out of my age range.

No wonder your last name is Coy--you (fellow) cradle robber <grin>. I guess that's why we gel so well you and I, we're sexual collegues!!

We should have a coffee and discuss strategy together. It would be kewl!

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84679 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 8:46 AM
No wonder your last name is Coy--you (fellow) cradle robber <grin>. I guess that's why we gel so well you and I, we're sexual collegues!!

Yeah, but who get's the top?

Author: eboller Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84681 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 8:55 AM
Yeah, but who get's the top?

Frankly, I see them both tethered up in some weird bondage thing.

Eric

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84690 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 9:40 AM
She's the mommy.

Why does everyone think I'm the only one Fool Alerting here--or even that I am? I'm sure this board is full of decent people.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84691 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 9:41 AM
I guess that's why we gel so well you and I, we're sexual collegues!!

That'll be the day. LOL

I'm far, FAR more discriminating than you. Hence, no coffee.

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84692 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 9:46 AM
Recommendations: 18
CC wrote:

Why does everyone think I'm the only one Fool Alerting here--or even that I am? I'm sure this board is full of decent people.

=========================

I consider myself a decent person.

I am not FAing posts.

Surely you're not suggesting that all decent people FA posts, or that anyone who does not FA is, therefore, not decent.

GG

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84693 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 9:48 AM
Surely you're not suggesting that all decent people FA posts, or that anyone who does not FA is, therefore, not decent.

Certainly not. I'm merely suggesting that I'm not the only one FA-ing; in fact, I only FA-ed a couple, and now I'm getting everyone's grief. Chill, people.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84694 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 10:00 AM
However, I do feel the need to point out the irony of you condeming others for behavior you engage in yourself.

I have seen the light!!! I went to church this morning, said a few Hail Marys and asked that the two posts I FA-ed be restored immediately!

Happy now?

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84697 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 10:19 AM
Recommendations: 21
The banter between CC and others as to who said what about whom is getting as monotonous as the comments and commentary by/of hocus.

I could care less who is calling who a loon, bird brain, village idiot, or otherwise....

This board isn't intended as 'instant messaging' to hold conversations between two people, is it?

Send each other emails if you want to have an ongoing 100 exchange back and forth conversation

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84698 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 10:22 AM
I have seen the light!!! I went to church this morning, said a few Hail Marys and asked that the two posts I FA-ed be restored immediately!

At least you can be convinced when you're being irrational...

Unlike some who can't be named...

Draggon

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84703 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 11:00 AM
Send each other emails if you want to have an ongoing 100 exchange back and forth conversation.

intercst started it. Pffffllluuuggggg!!! <grin>

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84766 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 5:52 PM
Recommendations: 13
most egregious examples of hit-below-the-belt personal character assassination to be found on this board.

To tell you the truth, while no one is qualified to make a diagnosis when not in a treatment environment, I would like to say that:

A) I have a bipolar cousin. I've seen manic phases. They're a lot like this. Increased sense of "self importance", paranoia, inability to let things go. These phases are unpleasant both for my cousin and for those of us who are subjected to them.

B) By definition, an assessment of mental illness is only "character assassination" if you buy into societal stigma. I don't happen to subscribe to that point of view, so I read that post completely differently than you did.

I will not opine as to whether or not Hocus suffers from any kind of condition. I will say, having dealt with similarly intractable people, that to engage on either side is to bang one's head against a brick wall. Useless.

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84769 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:05 PM

Don't be a hypocrite. If you are going to deprive me of the pleasure of reading a thread in its entirety because you have FA'd the posts you deem offensive, then have the maturity to post by your own self-declared principles.

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84770 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:07 PM
This is galeno we're talking about, for cryin' out loud! Rules of civility don't apply to him! Not even the rules of humanity!

Oh, I do hope you're kidding. I hear your credibility calling, "Please.... stop killing me....."

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84772 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:13 PM
Recommendations: 13
I'm sure this board is full of decent people

"Decency" is not something that should be defined by a select few and applied to the masses. The planet has lost a tremendous amount of art, music and literature to the "decency" police.

You may not think that what you're doing is akin to that (It's not art - it's Galeno), but the sentiment is the same. What you see as indecent, I see as interesting.

Regards,
Poppy

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84774 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:16 PM
Recommendations: 12

Happy now?

Nope. Rather than acknowledge your hypocrisy, you are being defensive and glib. You said you were going to FA everything that you characterized as a personal attack and then made one yourself. Principles are only worth something if you stand by them when they're inconvenient. It's like finding a pile of porno under the smut-police's bed.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84776 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:26 PM
Recommendations: 10
"This is galeno we're talking about, for cryin' out loud! Rules of civility don't apply to him! Not even the rules of humanity!" - CC

"Oh, I do hope you're kidding. I hear your credibility calling, "Please.... stop killing me....." - MsPoppy

When I took education classes it did teach me one thing about kids who act out; they like attention whether it is good or bad. It really doesn't matter to them what kind of attention they are getting as long as you are paying attention to them.

I have a feeling that Galeno really doesn't care what we say about, for, towards, against, him. In fact, the more we raz him the better he likes it. He finds it amusing and fun. He has the skin of a rhinoceros and even getting him banned for a week was amusing to him. I have a feeling there is absolutely nothing we can do to really cause Galeno to change, so we should either enjoy his brand of humor, or ignore him. From time to time he does post things that are pertinent about retiring early.

For me personally the best policy is to just ignore any of the posts that I find offensive. If I find a topic boring now I just hit the ignore thread button. I personally think that anyone should be able to post whatever they want, as long it isn't commercial junk that would slow down the boards to an intolerable level. - Art

Author: sydsydsyd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84777 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:36 PM
Nope. Rather than acknowledge your hypocrisy, you are being defensive and glib. You said you were going to FA everything that you characterized as a personal attack and then made one yourself. Principles are only worth something if you stand by them when they're inconvenient. It's like finding a pile of porno under the smut-police's bed.

MsPoppy, will you be our new boss-lady? I think that in light of this smut scandal the old one should do the decent thing and step down.

sydsydsyd

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84780 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:44 PM
I will not opine as to whether or not Hocus suffers from any kind of condition. I will say, having dealt with similarly intractable people, that to engage on either side is to bang one's head against a brick wall. Useless.

If one is in a position to know (medical doctor, someone who has seen bipolar up close and personal, etc.), and believes another to be bipolar, that brings the call for compassion, not derision on a public message board. That was, and continues to be, my point. It's not as much "fun" to respond to that person with compassion, but it's the right thing to do.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84781 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:46 PM
Don't be a hypocrite. If you are going to deprive me of the pleasure of reading a thread in its entirety because you have FA'd the posts you deem offensive, then have the maturity to post by your own self-declared principles.

You're a little late to the umbrage party, MsPoppy. I've already mea culpa'd. But if you want to rant some more, knock yourself out.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84783 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:48 PM

Oh, I do hope you're kidding. I hear your credibility calling, "Please.... stop killing me....."

Get up to speed on galeno, MsPoppy, before you start leaping to his defense.

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84784 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:53 PM
Recommendations: 21
Get up to speed on galeno, MsPoppy, before you start leaping to his defense

Hey dollface, I've been a member of the Fool for longer than you. I'm more than up to speed. I'm not defending Galeno, I'm impugning you. Vast difference.

Regards,
Poppy

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84785 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:57 PM
You're a little late to the umbrage party, MsPoppy. I've already mea culpa'd.

You mean that went to church post? Hardly the "mea culpa" of an adult, but whatever you say.

But if you want to rant some more, knock yourself out

Gratified for the permission, thank you.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84786 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:57 PM
"Decency" is not something that should be defined by a select few and applied to the masses. The planet has lost a tremendous amount of art, music and literature to the "decency" police.

Take it up with TMF. They're the ones who believe that certain standards of behavior are necessary on a public message board. I'm sorry...but hocus was ridiculed mercilessly even while being diagnosed on a public message board as "mentally ill." If you feel so strongly about allowing this to go on unabated, why don't you communicate with TMF? Tell them you're opposed to TMF defining what's decent.

What you see as indecent, I see as interesting.

It would be "interesting" to know how TMF views it.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84787 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 6:59 PM

FOR THE THIRD AND FINAL TIME. I hereby revoke my own FA-button privileges. I'm flogging myself as I type. Ungh!!!! Ungh!!!! Ungh!!!!

I acknowledge my own hypocrisy. I don't deserve to LIIIIIIVVVE!

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84788 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:01 PM
Tell them you're opposed to TMF defining what's decent

I'm opposed to you defining what's decent. TMF, as a business, has a vested interest in controlling the content of their message boards. You, as a patron, have no such vested interest.

However, I will agree to disagree with you and your methods.

Regards,
Poppy

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84790 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:06 PM
I acknowledge my own hypocrisy.

Nicely done.

I don't deserve to LIIIIIIVVVE

I will now post a poll as to whether or not the Fool should revoke your right to live.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84791 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:08 PM
I personally think that anyone should be able to post whatever they want, as long it isn't commercial junk that would slow down the boards to an intolerable level.

golfwaymore posted insightful commentary about this, but that's not the way TMF views it. They believe that posters should treat each other, at minimum, as they would like to be treated. If one really believes "anything goes, no holds barred" should prevail, they should perhaps be posting on a different message board.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84792 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:09 PM
MsPoppy, will you be our new boss-lady? I think that in light of this smut scandal the old one should do the decent thing and step down.

I hereby step down.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84793 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:12 PM
Hey dollface, I've been a member of the Fool for longer than you. I'm more than up to speed. I'm not defending Galeno, I'm impugning you. Vast difference.

Tenure on the board has nothing to do with it, sweetlips. But, OK, if you want to impugn me for stating my position, then I hardly see how you hold the higher ground. You can be galeno's new best friend. :-)

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84794 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:13 PM
Hardly the "mea culpa" of an adult, but whatever you say.

What would suit you, Headmistress?

sydsydsyd, I'm gettin' your drift.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84795 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:14 PM
I'm opposed to you defining what's decent.

I don't define what's decent. TMF has the final say on that. Take it up with them.

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84796 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:23 PM
im·pugn ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-pyn)
tr.v. im·pugned, im·pugn·ing, im·pugns
To attack as false or questionable; challenge in argument

Impugn, by definition, is to challenge in an argument. I'm challenging your position. Has nothing to do with you personally.

Tenure on the board has nothing to do with it

Tenure has plenty to do with it. You wanted me to get "up to speed". Having been around for a while, I am already up to speed. I'm up to speed on you as well and, if you recall, have defended you in the past. Actually, given your tone, I don't think you do recall.

I tend to argue points, not people. I have an issue with your position, not your person.

Clear?

Regards,
Poppy

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84797 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:33 PM
Ms. Poppy states: I will not opine as to whether or not H@cus suffers from any kind of condition. I will say, having dealt with similarly intractable people, that to engage on either side is to bang one's head against a brick wall. Useless."

This rings a loud wake up bell for me--and reminds me of a friend who was married to an alcoholic. She was sure if she just said or did the right thing she could get him to change--all to no avail. It was when she started to go to alanon meetings that she learned to back away and just go on with her own life. She said they talked about enabling roles people play, especially spouses, family, children, people who care, when they try to talk them out of whatever they are doing, or get them to try to get help. Luckily her husband found his own way through it, with the help of AA, and this was years after she up and left him.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84799 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 7:50 PM
I tend to argue points, not people. I have an issue with your position, not your person.

No, it wasn't at all clear, but I accept your re-definition.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84805 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 8:27 PM
Recommendations: 6
I feel like I'm watching mud wrestling.

If there is a female mentor of the REHP, it's In Paradise who has been here since close to the beginning - offering cogent and timely advice. Heck, in her own gentle way she has told off galeno and intercst and hocxs.

So you two just hush up.

arrete

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84806 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 8:41 PM
Heck, in her own gentle way she has told off galeno and intercst and hocxs.

She is good, isn't she? :-)

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84809 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 8:50 PM
. The prediction is that investments will continue to perform in line with how they have performed historically. That is the guess that one makes when using historically-based analysis.

How about you two taking this private and sending each other emails????

It sounds more like a cat fight than a discussion of anything ON TOPIC.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84810 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 8:52 PM
How about you two taking this private and sending each other emails???? It sounds more like a cat fight than a discussion of anything ON TOPIC.

Oh, pipe down. This board hasn't been on topic in weeks!

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84811 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 8:54 PM
MsPHeck, in her own gentle way she has told off galeno and intercst and hocxs.

CC: She is good, isn't she? :-)

OOps, the wrong copy came out....

Are you two trying to take over for the absence of hocus with filling pages of posts that have nothing to do with ON TOPIC subjects????

And it isn't even marked "OT" for off topic.....

Now maybe someone can tell me how this is RE related??? In the least?

No, on second thought, don't...that will just fill up even more pages of posts....

Author: nas90skog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84815 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 9:22 PM
commander telegraph:

:OOps, the wrong copy came out....

Are you two trying to take over for the absence of hocus with filling pages of posts that have nothing to do with ON TOPIC subjects????

And it isn't even marked "OT" for off topic.....

Now maybe someone can tell me how this is RE related??? In the least?

No, on second thought, don't...that will just fill up even more pages of posts....

This and a previous similar post from the "T" are my nominations for "chuckle of the day".

Are you kidding us mr. 2100+ posts? Master of the filibuster. Frequent contributor with lengthy posts OT or on. I'll acknowledge that you seem to have gotten it a bit under control lately, but you remind me of a guy who quits smoking for a couple of weeks and then becomes a militant anti-smoker.

How have you managed to rein things in? Vacation? Whatever it is bottle it up and send it to hocus.

Who are you and what have you done with Telegraph?

nas90skog

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84818 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 9:31 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry Telegraph! Wasting your precious time.

Of course, maybe you didn't see my on topic posts today:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18210258
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18210377
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18210904
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18211446
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18212078

You didn't involve yourself in those ON TOPIC posts, but they were there.

And you are well known to NEVER make off topic posts yourself.

arrete – man, and I recced you today. Go figure.

Author: GritsGuru Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84819 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 9:57 PM
hocus started out with respect and then lost it.

He is not the only one.

If you know what I mean.

GG

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84832 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 11:09 PM
arrete:
Of course, maybe you didn't see my on topic posts today

Of course I saw them, but I also saw a bunch of messages that looked like the people were involved in a one-on-one name calling campaign, with no one else contributing or interested..... one poster had six posts in a row.....trying to tie the hocus record. Twenty or thirty posts attempting to show who was the bigger idiot, and similar.

For those not aware, you can send an email to the poster, without posting to the board.

Hit 'post reply'...type your reply...then check the 'send email' box at the bottom. uncheck the 'post to board'. Hit send. It goes only to the person who made the post.

Then you and the poster you are commenting on can have your private discussion, without the rest of us seeing your remarks back and forth. It works well.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84840 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/26/2002 11:51 PM
"If one really believes "anything goes, no holds barred" should prevail, they should perhaps be posting on a different message board."
- CC

I am here because I'm an intercst groupie. His Retire Early Homepage changed my life. I found this board several years ago because I typed
"retirement" in a search engine and his homepage came up. I clicked on it and found this board. I've been here every since. Before reading Intercst's REHP I had no idea one even could retire early. I thought I was doomed to continue working till I was 62 and then die like all the rest of the members of my family. - Art

Author: Fbomb101 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84871 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/27/2002 10:34 AM
Get up to speed on galeno, MsPoppy, before you start leaping to his defense

Regards,
Poppy

I think I might have a new hero! MsPoppy, please take your rightful place next to Intercst and Galeno.

Regards,

Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84927 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/27/2002 2:37 PM
Recommendations: 16
<I'm opposed to you defining what's decent. TMF, as a business, has a vested interest in controlling the content of their message boards. You, as a patron, have no such vested interest.>

FWIW, CC nor anyone else on the board defines what is or is not decent. We can all express our opinions about the subject, but the ultimate definer of board decency is TMF. CC is right that anything related to this that may ruffle your feathers should be directed to the FOOL.

It is more than ok to have a difference of opinion on the subject. I think that overall the board has done a reasonable job of letting people know when they have crossed a line. It does not mean that very strong differences of opinion do not exist. Addtionally, some posters do a good job of baiting others from time to time, leading to more excess noise. There are now enough features that allow you to minimize your exposure to that.

The recent business with you know who I consider to be a unique case. I feel that some posters did cross a line. However, I also feel that you know who willingly jumped into the trough, just like he did during the last episode some months ago. I think it is delusional for one to think that the board should be given over to him forcing all the regular posters and lurkers to move to another board. I also think it is clearly irrational to make hundreds of incredibly long posts with a group that you have such fundamental differences of opinion with. It is certainly within ones rights to post like that, but it ends up producing diminshing returns.

Even people that may share some of his opinions try to distance themselves from him. He became a totally disruptive force. It is not right for people to mount personal attacks, but it was obvious that those who tried to reason with him were not meeting with much success. When he posts here I notice the whole tone of the board changes, and not for the better. This is like the family reunion that turns into a free for all because of the arrival of a certain relative. Not everyone may dislike the relative, but their presence makes everyone uncomfortable and causes everyone else to have trouble getting along with eachother.

BRG

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84929 of 734398
Subject: Re: Poll: Request for Revocation of Posting Priv Date: 11/27/2002 2:54 PM
When he posts here I notice the whole tone of the board changes, and not for the better. This is like the family reunion that turns into a free for all because of the arrival of a certain relative. Not everyone may dislike the relative, but their presence makes everyone uncomfortable and causes everyone else to have trouble getting along with eachother.

Should such an occurence happen again (as threatened this coming Monday) I suggest generous use of the ignore thread function and lots of interesting on-topic posts. Gives you all a little homework to do over the weekend. :)

arrete

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (126) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement