Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DoktorDi Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Poll: Retirement seminar Date: 3/8/2000 9:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Yeah, go Pixy!
No thanks

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2860 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Retirement seminar Date: 3/14/2000 12:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
{{Are you interested in a TMF Retirement seminar}}

I voted YES, but wanted to add:

Yes, if it's not an endless sea of "Should I convert to a ROTH?"

and "What's the AGI limit for an IRA", and the like.

I'd like to see a bit of a menu of topics to be covered; I'm particularly interested in

• asset allocation examples, and how they might differ for different net worth people/couples
• and with the above, minimizing the tax bite during a portfolio reshuffle,
• and with the above, how to find the best bond and CD investments, since so much of the Fool and the popular media is tilted toward stocks
• different strategies of conservative (income) vs. growth, given that with (very) early retirement I'm giving up some of my best earning years,
• continuing medical coverage after the corporation is gone
• likely unanticipated expenses and how to prepare for them (I guess that's sort of an oxymoron. Oxy here, reporting for duty, sir.)
• reverse mortgages, perhaps, or other unconventional or out-of-favor ideas.
• and ask that you keep in mind a decent portion of the course for high income / high net worth individuals, since so much of what I see is "Janey makes $40,000 a year..." I am aware there are a lot of Janey's out there, but there are also a lot of others who have done well in the market this past decade, but who are just as leery of "financial advisors" as they are of "stock brokers". I would rather learn more about the process, and be empowered to "do it myself."

And finally, on the off-chance that the market tanks after we have retired, I think one of the days of the seminar should be devoted to "How to become a Wal-Mart greeter" and "New opportunities at McDonald's".

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2865 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Retirement seminar Date: 3/14/2000 9:52 AM
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Goofyhoofy, and welcome. You wrote:

<<{{Are you interested in a TMF Retirement seminar}}

I voted YES, but wanted to add:

Yes, if it's not an endless sea of "Should I convert to a ROTH?"

and "What's the AGI limit for an IRA", and the like.

I'd like to see a bit of a menu of topics to be covered; I'm particularly interested in

• asset allocation examples, and how they might differ for different net worth people/couples
• and with the above, minimizing the tax bite during a portfolio reshuffle,
• and with the above, how to find the best bond and CD investments, since so much of the Fool and the popular media is tilted toward stocks
• different strategies of conservative (income) vs. growth, given that with (very) early retirement I'm giving up some of my best earning years,
• continuing medical coverage after the corporation is gone
• likely unanticipated expenses and how to prepare for them (I guess that's sort of an oxymoron. Oxy here, reporting for duty, sir.)
• reverse mortgages, perhaps, or other unconventional or out-of-favor ideas.
• and ask that you keep in mind a decent portion of the course for high income / high net worth individuals, since so much of what I see is "Janey makes $40,000 a year..." I am aware there are a lot of Janey's out there, but there are also a lot of others who have done well in the market this past decade, but who are just as leery of "financial advisors" as they are of "stock brokers". I would rather learn more about the process, and be empowered to "do it myself."

And finally, on the off-chance that the market tanks after we have retired, I think one of the days of the seminar should be devoted to "How to become a Wal-Mart greeter" and "New opportunities at McDonald's".>>

Bravo! Great suggestions all. I appreciate the comments, and will definitely use most (if not all) of them if the seminar idea generates sufficient interest to make such an offering viable. And if not in the seminar, then certainly in some articles.

Regards..Pixy

Author: bolivia2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2874 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Retirement seminar Date: 3/14/2000 11:46 AM
Recommendations: 1
If a Retirement Seminar is conducted (I voted Yeah), I feel it should have a strong format and a strong seminar leader(s). I recently withdrew from the currently running Rule Breaker Seminar due to vague direction and work-in-process posting protocols. As a result, hundreds of marginally useful, if at all, postings had to be read in order to find, possibly, one or two gems. I just didn't feel this was a good use of my limited free time.

Author: joesonic Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2887 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Retirement seminar Date: 3/14/2000 5:21 PM
I've been retired for ten years, and I just want to say that retirement is traumatic, mostly due to the unknown factors. Would that someone had had a seminar before I retired, perhaps ten years before. Anyhow, I'm glad I took the SS when I was 62, and put it in a place where I can get the interest, not uncle Sam. If I should live to 83, (and the insurance companies know I probably will not), I'm sure I won't need so much money, I'll be sitting watching TV or something. There are other issues which need to be explored, for instance if you have an ira, all the income from it is considered regular income when you take it out, not capital gains. Clear it out and save taxes. Also, your money goes further when you are retired. You shop better, you recycle, you conserve, etc. I live well on less than half what I used to when I worked.

Author: hls636 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3150 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Retirement seminar Date: 3/23/2000 5:24 PM
I thought I read in 3/23 newspaper that the House of Rep voted 100% for it and that the Senate voted for it ,but added the age of 64. It now goes back to the House.Is that correct? I hope so.

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3152 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Retirement seminar Date: 3/23/2000 5:36 PM
Greetings, hls636, and welcome. You asked:

<<I thought I read in 3/23 newspaper that the House of Rep voted 100% for it and that the Senate voted for it ,but added the age of 64. It now goes back to the House.Is that correct? I hope so.>>

Not quite. The Senate passed the bill unanimously, but returned it to the House for a technical correction in language. The age stays the same at 65.

Regards..Pixy

Author: bozogal One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3458 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Retirement seminar Date: 4/9/2000 11:45 AM
Hello All,

I am 44 and have become insanely preoccupied with my retirement at age 55.

I've been lurking here for some time, just because the subject interests me, but I've learned a lot. I had some aspects of my retirement already in place, and will soon start to research the "new to me" issues that have been mentioned on this board. (i.e. LTC, ugh!)

I think a seminar would have an appeal to a larger audience than you might think....just advertise it on the home page.

Karen

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement