Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFKhat Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5879  
Subject: Poll: Rule Makers vs Rule Breakers Date: 3/11/2007 3:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Rule Makers -- I like to invest in industry leaders
Rule Breakers -- I look for the Next Big Thing
I can't make up my mind.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5742 of 5879
Subject: Re: Poll: Rule Makers vs Rule Breakers Date: 3/11/2007 9:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I voted for "Rule Breakers" primarily because I believe that in most cases the "industry leader" status of the industry leader is, well in fact, already priced into the leader's stock price.

As a paractical matter, I am primarily a "Value" investor, or at least a Growth At Reasonable Price(GARP) investor.

One of my "Rule Breaker" investments is Northfield Laboratories(NFLD) and http://www.Northfieldlabs.com. PolyHeme(R) the company's artificial blood substitute product could be submitted to the FDA for approval in the 2007 to 2008 time period. Approval of PolyHeme(R), if granted may occur in 2009 - 2011.

Northfield is very high risk, basically publicly traded venture capital. I have been buying Northfield at $4 per share or less - currently own less than 10K shares.

Kahuna,CFA

Author: TMFBreakerOrion Big gold star, 5000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5743 of 5879
Subject: Re: Poll: Rule Makers vs Rule Breakers Date: 3/13/2007 3:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
I can't really say that EITHER strategy is superior as each has a different purpose. Rule Makers seem more of a "buy a few big steady earners" which is an attempt to find a safer long term winner while Rule Breakers is more of a "buy a spectrum of risky aggressive company's" in an attempt to find one or more big winners. Considering that you might have to invest in 10 rule breaking type company's to find one that takes off it kind out balances out the steady gains expected from the rule makers.

It's not so much about which style is superior so much as it's which one works best for me. :)

So I'll have my index funds and toss in a hefty slice of MSFT...and I'll figure out what proportion of my portfolio I'm happy tossing into the exciting roller coaster of Rule Breakers. I want a sound stable foundation to stand on but give me the excitement and interest that comes from those small ground breaking entrepreneurs!

FYI - I voted for Rule Breakers but I wanted to vote for BOTH

Karl ~ strolling through

Author: Selzhanik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5744 of 5879
Subject: Re: Poll: Rule Makers vs Rule Breakers Date: 3/13/2007 5:59 PM
I must say that Ryan won me over with the initial round, but Tim won me over with the rebuttal. When you place a value on a company, and therefor a stock, you must factor in future cash flow -- and projecting future cash flow has to include considering growth (or, gasp!, shrinkage). Thumbs up on Rule Breakers!

I'm just a sucker for Benjamin Graham quotes, I guess.

Foolish regards,
Paul

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement