UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884584  
Subject: Poll: Service Calls Date: 9/28/2012 1:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you have owned your home for 10 or more years where have you spent the most money? Without a doubt, hands down our biggest and most repetitive expense has been plumbing. I'm kind of interested in seeing where others stand.
We've had more plumbing calls.
We've had more problems with our A/C unit.
Our heating unit produces the most service calls.
Our kitchen appliances generate lots of calls.
<b>I've got some plumbing in my pants.</b>

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867601 of 884584
Subject: Re: Poll: Service Calls Date: 9/28/2012 1:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I am not certain how to answer. My home is almost 60 years old. We had it repiped around 10 years ago, and haven't had any plumbing problems since.

We don't have air conditioning. The furnace is orginal, and hasn't been repaired in over 10 years. Older furnaces are very inefficient, but rarely require repair.

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867602 of 884584
Subject: Re: Poll: Service Calls Date: 9/28/2012 1:56 PM
Our rental was built in the 60's, so it has plumbing issues (cast iron pipes) but our home was built in the 80's and has had more HVAC problems (heat pump / gas pack).

Author: swiing One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867605 of 884584
Subject: Re: Poll: Service Calls Date: 9/28/2012 2:11 PM
What sort of plumbing problems do people have, drain/roto rooter, leaky faucet, burst pipe?

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867607 of 884584
Subject: Re: Poll: Service Calls Date: 9/28/2012 2:32 PM
Since my house is only 13 years old, I'd have to say appliances generate the most problems. I've had only one problem with plumbing which was due to a leaking water heater. I don't consider annual maintenance to be in the same class as service calls since annual maintenance is planned. From your question, I'm assuming you are asking about unscheduled service calls. As for appliance, they generate the most problems but not that many calls. That is because I am the serviceman for my appliances. I've repaired the refrigerator and washer a number of times. As for the most costly, the appliances win hands down. Last year my dishwasher leaked which caused over $10k in damages.

PSU

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867608 of 884584
Subject: Re: Poll: Service Calls Date: 9/28/2012 3:02 PM
If you have owned your home for 10 or more years where have you spent the most money?

For the cost it would have to be air-conditioning. I replaced to original A.C. unit about 20 years ago with a York heat pump. I replaced that with a more efficient unit by Trane about 6 years ago. That unit required servicing this spring.
;-(

For number of service calls, it would have to be the new kitchen appliances, refrigerator, dishwasher, electric oven and microwave (3 calls on that G.D. microwave fur $200+ each). When we first moved in 22 -odd years ago, I bought a new Sears refrigerator. When we built the new kitchen 7 years ago, that fridge went out to my garage/shop for use as a beer fridge and its still going strong. Never had a service call on it, no!
;-)

C.J.V. - don’t build dem like day used to, no

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867609 of 884584
Subject: Re: Poll: Service Calls Date: 9/28/2012 3:03 PM
Well, it depends on what is a service call - repair or replace. We have had the A/C replaced, and that was rather expensive. Also, we have had a $17,000 expense for window replacements.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867616 of 884584
Subject: Re: Poll: Service Calls Date: 9/28/2012 4:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
When it comes to the word "plumbing" I've spent far and away the most on it, but not because the plumbing has ceased to function. It's because of floods.

We had a finished basement when we moved in. Then we had Hurricane Floyd. No more finished basement. Waterproofing a basement properly is a LOT of plumbing.

Then we had a couple of more floods, because the sewer literally backed up into our house. That was fun. Check valve in the house, now there's a check valve at street level, courtesy of the township.

That's also plumbing.

Finally, we had issues with the water AROUND the house. We also put in several backup systems to make sure the flooding in the basement would be less of an issue. Again, with our friendly plumber.

So I wouldn't say we have plumbing issues, but I would say that water is certainly the element that it is Out to Get Us.

GSF

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867635 of 884584
Subject: Re: Poll: Service Calls Date: 10/1/2012 10:06 AM
PSUEngineer's experience is closest to ours. We bought our house new 10 years ago. We've only once needed a plumber, but my husband takes care of the most common plumbing problems--slow drains, dripping faucets, failed toilet flushing. He soaks the shower heads in vinegar every couple of years to remove mineral deposits. Once we needed a plumber to deal with a manufacturing defect plus installation problem in the guest shower. The temperature/volume gizmo needed to be replaced and something done to the pipes in the walls, forget exactly what, but IIRC we lost hot water there. Alas we were just out of warranty, but at least we were charged only labor, not materials.

So far we've needed only maintenance on our HVAC/heat pump, but I have a feeling we'll need more than maintenance next time, although the problem might be just the thermostat--let's hope so! We use our ceiling fans much of the time (at the moment I'm running just fans, no A/C, even though it's a warm day in SC), and the fans have been problem-free.

We've had too many appliance repairs over these 10 years--much more than all previous years put together. The GE side-by-side fridge, the Fisher-Paykel 2-drawer dishwasher, and the Thermador dual-fuel range, while not exactly lemons, were not as reliable as previous ones. We replaced the DW with a low-end Bosch this year and are much happier. I miss having that upper dishwasher drawer, though. After 2-3 repairs to the range early on, it's been fine. The fridge probs have been with its computer board and ice maker. My next fridge won't have an ice maker. As we get older, we seem less likely to want iced drinks anyhow--and I'd prefer the space for food as we don;t have a deep freeze.

DH has repaired the Frigidaire front-loader washer and dryer once each IIRC--also needed professional service on one of them (I have forgotten which, it was a long time ago and under warranty). No probs with our 10-year-old electric water heater, microwave, or garbage disposal (DH has cleared a couple of clogs) so far.

Author: Jennlee222 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867668 of 884584
Subject: Re: Poll: Service Calls Date: 10/2/2012 8:30 AM
In my current house (bought in 2000) I've had only one professional service needed - furnace broke down a couple years ago.

In my previous home (a duplex owned from 1995-2000) I had one plumbing leak (minor) in my unit, the water softener went out in the other unit, the furnace needed repair in the other unit, and they had a toilet blockage in the other unit that required a plumber (tip: Don't flush dental floss!)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement