UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 753809  
Subject: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealand? Date: 10/15/2012 3:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
For background info, in case anyone missed it:

http://boards.fool.com/tax-haven-guru-dies-30313234.aspx?sor...

http://www.sealandgov.org/about

Check the "Shop" tab under the second link. Andrew is considering spending about $150 or so (maybe less) to purchase a Noble Title (Baron of the Principality of Sealand) with a certificate signed by Sealand's own Prince Michael (heir of Prince Roy who just died), a Sealand ID card, and one square foot of Sealand real estate.

Should he do it?
Yes, go for it! A Noble Title is a valuable thing to have.
Maybe. It's a harmless fantasy... whatever floats your boat.
No! How pointless! What a frivolous waste of time and money.
I have some baronial splendor fer ya in my pants.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648943 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 3:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm thinking $150 is a bit much for a spur-of-the-moment purchase of what is basically nothing. I mean, you could buy something decent like a digital camera (not great, but decent) or a few shirts for $150. If it was $10 then, hell yeah, go for it! But $150 is getting into the "Hey, I better think about this" range. YMMV.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648945 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 3:48 PM
Now THIS is something I'd be tempted to buy on an impulse - $85 for a refurb Apple TV box:

http://gizmodo.com/5951689/the-apple-tv-is-your-dumb+tvsmart...

I would, if my apartment's WiFi wasn't abysmally slow. Sure, I could just get a cable modem but "free" WiFi, even crappy WiFi, beats paying for a cable modem. Especially when they want you to rent the modem. Pfft, hell no! But I'd have to buy a modem too, and a decent router. Yeah, that $85 purchase would soon be $300 plus $20 a month. So, no, I won't be buying it.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648946 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 3:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
andrew, I couldn't help but notice that the website is called fruits of the sea....is that a double entendre or what? :)

Why not become a Baron, it's cheap. Heck, I may become a Baroness. Then I can say I was also Cherokee and get bennies and then get one of those online diplomas to be a preacher...only those with a credit card need apply.

Seriously, go for it, if it makes you happy. :) If you do, then all of us will bow down in your presense.

Baron Andrew....sounds good.

LD

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648950 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 4:10 PM
Why bother buying anything? What's to stop you from calling yourself whatever you want now? It's not like you're going to be arrested? Just start telling everyone you're a prince, or Duke, or Baron, or whatever the hell you want to be?

King Arthur

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648951 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 4:13 PM
Reichert Family Crest

http://www.houseofnames.com/product/Family+Crest+Image+%28JP...

Reichert Family Crest and Name

http://www.houseofnames.com/reichert-family-crest

Sir Arthur

Author: REtim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648952 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 4:15 PM
King Arthur

I like!

Caesar Imperator Timotheus

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648954 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 5:00 PM
hey that was a great site art...i looked up my last name and saw when they settled in Va. never seen that before...something to add to my genealogy file for further research.

LD

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648957 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 5:13 PM
hey that was a great site art...i looked up my last name and saw when they settled in Va. never seen that before...something to add to my genealogy file for further research.

I find those sites mildly amusing... they can tell so much about you from just your last name...

... my last name is fairly common, shared with quite a lot of people. However my great-grandparents are not among those people.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648982 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/15/2012 6:54 PM
"hey that was a great site art...i looked up my last name and saw when they settled in Va. never seen that before...something to add to my genealogy file for further research." - LD

It wouldn't let me copy and paste but did you see the part where it said that there were no hard and fast rules about spelling so scribes would write the names how they sounded to them so you can't go just by how we spell our names now? There were a plethora of ways they spelled "Riechert" so now when I research my geneaology I can't stick to just one spelling.

My paternal great grandfather was illiterate till he was 21 years old. He didn't learn to read and write till he broke his leg one year when he was working down in New Orleans as a steveadore. A nice lady took care of him and nursed him back to health and while he was laid up she taught him to read and write. So he didn't know how to write his name till he learned to read and write. So the way we spell it now is just the way it appeared on a land document up in Northern Minnesota for a couple of acres of land so he and his wife could build a log cabin.

By the way that was the cabin my dad grew up in in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. My dad was adopted by his grandmothere. My father grew up thinking his grandmother was his mother. He was the product of incest between a half sister/half brother. The "uncle" who was 35 years old essentially raped his 15 year old half sister and got her pregnant. Everybody in town knew it. What is strange is my father was a genius, literally. He was a biochemical research sales engineer for Liquid Carbonic and he invented a whole bunch of stuff including ways to freeze individually flash frozen food - which we buy in just about every grocery store now.

Art

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649353 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 5:09 PM
I'm thinking $150 is a bit much for a spur-of-the-moment purchase of what is basically nothing. I mean, you could buy something decent like a digital camera (not great, but decent) or a few shirts for $150. If it was $10 then, hell yeah, go for it! But $150 is getting into the "Hey, I better think about this" range. YMMV.

Well, I have been thinking about it before rushing in. One of the reasons I posted this poll.

I can see where you're coming from. You've told us you're digging your way out of debt, and I'm guessing that Noble Titles don't mean squat to you. So in your case, I can see how you would think spending more than $10 on what you'd consider nothing more than a "gag gift", at best, wouldn't make sense.

I see things differently, however.

To my way of thinking, shirts and cameras wear out, but a baronial title is for life. <grin>

To be titled European nobility would fulfill a dream I've had since about 1981, and as long as this is real and not fake (and from the research I've done over the past few days, I've concluded that it is real), it's a way I can finally fulfill a nearly lifelong dream, one that was seemingly impossible. The Law of Attraction certainly does work in mysterious and strange ways.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649363 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 5:50 PM
Recommendations: 2
Why not become a Baron, it's cheap. Heck, I may become a Baroness. Then I can say I was also Cherokee and get bennies and then get one of those online diplomas to be a preacher...only those with a credit card need apply.

Seriously, go for it, if it makes you happy. :) If you do, then all of us will bow down in your presense.

Baron Andrew....sounds good.

LD

I see this opportunity as being a bit different from getting a fake degree or some such. If that were the case, I wouldn't bother. However, I have reason to believe this is the real deal.

A monarch (in this case, Prince Michael of the Principality of Sealand, the late Prince Roy's heir) has the prerogative to bestow titles of nobility on people at his or her sole discretion, for whatever reason he/she wishes. So, the question becomes, is the Principality of Sealand a real, bona-fide nation, and is Prince Michael a real monarch? If those things are real, then the titles are real.

I have concluded, after several days of online research, that Sealand is in fact a "real" nation in every sense that matters. I've studied the history. Here's the gist of what I learned: Roy Bates, a British World War II veteran, was able to declare his independence from the UK and found his own nation based on a loophole he discovered in international law. In the 1960s, he took over an abaondoned fort six miles off the east coast of England and declared it his own country. The British government tried to evict him and his family, but the case was thrown out of court due to the fact that the fort is in international waters and therefore outside the UK's jurisdiction. Even though the British government built that fort and a number of others, it turns out after the fact that these forts were built illegally because the Brits built them too far out in the water. Afterward, Prince Roy and his family successfully fought off military attacks from the British, and some years later, the Germans. Although no country in the world has officially recognized Sealand as its own nation, both the UK and Germany have, by their actions, conceded a "de facto" recognition of the country. When the Germans attacked, for example, Prince Roy was able to take a German military man prisoner, and when Germany tried to negotiate the prisoner's release with the UK, they were told it was out of the UK's jurisdiction, so they had to negotiate directly with Sealand instead. They had no other choice.

All this to say that Roy Bates effectively declared his independence from Britain and founded his own micronation, and there appears to be nothing anyone can do about it. So to my way of thinking Sealand has earned the right to call itself a legitimate country.

Now, about the nobility titles: Again, a legitimate monarch of a legitimate nation can bestow them at his sole discretion for any reason he sees fit. In centuries past, the monarchs of England and other European nations awarded titles mostly to national war heroes, along with substantial parcels of land, as a way to show recognition and appreciation for their achievements in service to their country. These titles and land were typically hereditary and passed down to the firstborn of each subsequent generation.

Sometimes "honorary" titles are given, as in the case of Sir Elton John and Sir Paul McCartney. These honorary titles can't be passed down to heirs, to my knowledge, but that doesn't mean they are "fake".

In Sealand's case, the monarchy doesn't need war heroes, but it does need financial contributions in order to stay afloat, meet operating expenses and for upkeep. The monarch is selling honorary titles as a way of raising this needed money. That's where I come in. I provide them with a nominal sum of money and they award me with a title I've always wanted. It might sound hokey and "gimmickal" at first, but I see it as legitimate.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649367 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 6:05 PM
Why bother buying anything? What's to stop you from calling yourself whatever you want now? It's not like you're going to be arrested? Just start telling everyone you're a prince, or Duke, or Baron, or whatever the hell you want to be?

King Arthur

But I don't want to do that. If I start calling myself a European Baron, I have to be able to back it up with something real. Anyone can make stuff up. If one goes around calling oneself a king or a duke, or a baron, or whatever, and there's nothing real behind it, then other people will consider that person pretentious, or worse, not "all there".

I do actually know someone who did fashion himself a Baron of Bohemia and Moravia, and it wasn't for real, and he in fact did get arrested, although not for that reason. He got arrested for embezzling $500K from the bank where he worked. He used the money to live a baronial jet-set lifestyle (first-class trips to Europe on the Concord, etc.), donate to the Monarchist Leagues of Canada and Australia, and he even donated $20K to Queen Elizabeth (as if she needed the money)... all things he couldn't very well do on his rather modest $25K annual income. He was sentenced to 18 months in prison back in 1999 after he was caught and tried. The judge went lenient on the sentencing after it came out at the trial that the guy suffered delusions due to mental illness. The lenient sentence was conditional upon his being placed under psychiatric care for his problems.

This was someone I had sort of a relationship with for a few months during the summer of 1981, when we were both very young. I recall that he had a rather obsessive interest with the British Royal Family, and he told me he had gone to school with Prince Andrew (and was compared unfavorably to the Prince by their teachers because he couldn't throw a ball). I so much wanted this tale to be true, but it turned out he merely went to St. Edward's, a Catholic high school in Lakewood, Ohio that was only about a mile away from where I lived when I lived in that suburban town.

But being with him those few months, he got me interested in European royalty and nobility, and hence my own dream was born. I now have the chance to live the dream he had and have it be for real.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649372 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 6:22 PM
Should he do it?

35% (6 Votes)
Yes, go for it! A Noble Title is a valuable thing to have.

29% (5 Votes)
Maybe. It's a harmless fantasy... whatever floats your boat.

11% (2 Votes)
No! How pointless! What a frivolous waste of time and money.

23% (4 Votes)
I have some baronial splendor fer ya in my pants.

Well, I'm blown away. Two days in, 64 percent have voted "Yes" or "Maybe". Surprisingly, only two people in this LBYM crowd voted "No".

I am encouraged. I think I'm going to do it!

I think I'll spend considerably less money than I originally posted, however. I definitely want the signed and framed certificate that grants me the noble title, but on further reflection maybe I'll do without the national ID card and the square foot of real estate. Those are extras I thought would be nice but don't absolutely need. The Baron title is really what I'm after here.

This is going to be my new hobby: Keeping up with the happenings of Sealand, learning what makes the world's smallest micronation tick.

If it turns out to be nothing else, it'll certainly make for some interesting conversation!

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649379 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 6:28 PM
well whatever you decide to do, let us know how it all goes...there may be benefits that we are unaware of right now. Baron Andrew.

I can be the Sealan dog.

bark bark!

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649381 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 6:31 PM
That's one way to get Obama to bow to you.

--fleg

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649383 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 6:36 PM
andrew wrote: I am encouraged. I think I'm going to do it! I think I'll spend considerably less money than I originally posted, however. I definitely want the signed and framed certificate that grants me the noble title...

Why spend any money at all? Just call yourself whatever you damn well feel like.

Try PrintMaster for the certificate. Easy peasy.

http://www.broderbund.com/p-273-printmaster-2012-platinum.as...

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649405 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 9:04 PM
Why spend any money at all? Just call yourself whatever you damn well feel like.

Try PrintMaster for the certificate. Easy peasy.

http://www.broderbund.com/p-273-printmaster-2012-platinum.as......

But that's not real and even if nobody else knew it, I would.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649412 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 9:23 PM
Andrew, I say go for it. You live only once. I plan to visit Europe in the next few years, and if I go to the UK (which I probably will), I can say I know a Baron there.

So what "privileges" do you get by being the Baron? Any at all?

This reminds me of a Astronomy society that "sells" the naming of stars as a gift. Apparently, these are "official names". Most of the stars, probably millions of them that have been identified, are blandly called NX-19839 or PD-874uds in the right 3rd quadrant of Mansnai Nebula? They are just waiting for a real name. Of course, most of these stars are probably quite remote, and can be seen by the most powerful of telescopes, not sure. But there is a business for the selling of naming rights.

Capitalism at its best huh?

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649434 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 10:59 PM
If one goes around calling oneself a king or a duke, or a baron, or whatever, and there's nothing real behind it, then other people will consider that person pretentious, or worse, not "all there". - andrew

-------------

The jury is still out on you <g>.

Have you considered Count instead of Baron. Baron sounds stuffy and old while Count brings to mind daring and bold. Could a Baron Dracula really been as fearsome! Baron Chocula wouldn't sell as well either.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649439 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/17/2012 11:27 PM
Have you considered Count instead of Baron. Baron sounds stuffy and old while Count brings to mind daring and bold. Could a Baron Dracula really been as fearsome! Baron Chocula wouldn't sell as well either.

I have seen Andrew's real title......Duke of Earl. Yupper!!

This is beautiful. I've always loved this since high school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwBdU1kSfOM

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649445 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 12:04 AM
Andrew, I say go for it. You live only once. I plan to visit Europe in the next few years, and if I go to the UK (which I probably will), I can say I know a Baron there.

Except that you'll know a Sealand Baron, not a UK baron.

So what "privileges" do you get by being the Baron? Any at all?

Still working on the answer to that one.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649446 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 12:09 AM
Recommendations: 2

I don't like Count precisely because it conjures up images of Count Dracula. I've never been fond of vampires. Yuck! (Although if I were a woman, I might go for Countess because I think that has a nice ring to it. Especially the Italian version: "La Contessa".)

Nor do I want to be Lord, because the first thing that comes to mind is Little Lord Fauntleroy.

I've thought it over and Baron appears to be the right fit for me.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649454 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 12:56 AM
"Why spend any money at all? Just call yourself whatever you damn well feel like. Try PrintMaster for the certificate. Easy peasy." catherine

http://www.broderbund.com/p-273-printmaster-2012-platinum.as......

That's what I told him. He didn't seem to like that idea. He said that's what crazy people do. Far better to send some guy who lives on an island somewhere who fancies himself a monarch some money and he'll print you out a title. Yeah, that makes a whole lot more sense.

Art

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649456 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 1:28 AM
That's what I told him. He didn't seem to like that idea. He said that's what crazy people do. Far better to send some guy who lives on an island somewhere who fancies himself a monarch some money and he'll print you out a title. Yeah, that makes a whole lot more sense.

Art

How odd to find you and CC actually agreeing on something. <grin>

And, I already made a rather lengthy post detailing the research I've done and what I've found out and why I don't view Prince Michael of Sealand as merely "some guy" who "fancies himself a monarch". I've already done the homework. It's just like when you tell NDE skeptics that they haven't done the reading you have done. Same here.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649460 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 1:52 AM
I don't like Count precisely because it conjures up images of Count Dracula.

Nor do I want to be Lord, because the first thing that comes to mind is Little Lord Fauntleroy.

I've thought it over and Baron appears to be the right fit for me.

Baron conjures up Red Baron to me. And Barron Hilton, grandfather of Paris Hilton. And Baron von Münchhausen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_M%C3%BCnchhausen

Even before his death, Münchhausen's reputation as a storyteller was exaggerated by several writers, giving birth to a fully fictionalized literary character usually called simply Baron Munchausen. The (fictional) Baron's exploits, usually narrated by himself, focus on his impossible achievements as a hunter, warrior, and traveler, including rides on cannonballs and trips to the moon.

Perhaps you should become an Earl. Or a Duke. Or a Duke of Earl.

--fleg

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649462 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 2:04 AM
Baron conjures up Red Baron to me. And Barron Hilton, grandfather of Paris Hilton. And Baron von Münchhausen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_M%C3%BCnchhausen

Even before his death, Münchhausen's reputation as a storyteller was exaggerated by several writers, giving birth to a fully fictionalized literary character usually called simply Baron Munchausen. The (fictional) Baron's exploits, usually narrated by himself, focus on his impossible achievements as a hunter, warrior, and traveler, including rides on cannonballs and trips to the moon.

I think Baron von Münchhausen more aptly captures my old BF whom I wrote about in a previous post -- the guy who suffered delusions and fashioned himself a Baron of Bohemia and Moravia, and who told stories such as having gone to school with Prince Andrew -- stories that turned out to be fiction.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649463 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 2:07 AM
Perhaps you should become an Earl. Or a Duke. Or a Duke of Earl.

--fleg

I don't like "Earl" because the only people I ever knew named Earl were gross fat old men. And "Duke" was the name of my grandmother's mongrel dog whom she had to banish to the outdoors permanently because he peed all over her furniture and couldn't be trained.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649465 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 2:30 AM
Recommendations: 3

Art

Some more thoughts:

We hear lots of talk on this board about how the United States, and Western Europe and the Western world in general, are steadily moving away from freedom and towards statism and tyranny. Everything from socialism to excessive regulation to Sharia law is going to eventually take over and do us in. Or so I read here every day.

IMHO, a micronation like Sealand might turn out to be a case study in how to escape oppression from a tyrannical totalitarian government, declare independence, and maintain individual freedom.

This guy, Paddy Roy Bates, who moved to the abandoned fort and declared independence from Britain, is a hero, IMHO. One could say that he's a real-life John Galt. And Sealand is his own personal "Galt's Gulch".

At first my thought was only on the selfish acquisition of a title. But the more I think about it, the cause of tiny nation-states like Sealand is something worth supporting. And maybe that's what I want to do.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649466 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 2:48 AM
Andrew, get the baronetcy. Remember, Col. Harlan Sanders was an honorary Kentucky colonel.

Me? I’d go further. I’d register with the US State Department as a US citizen representing a yet-to-be-recognized nation. In effect being a domestic-located possible-in-the-future embassy/legation (but square that with Sealand first) with the authority to (again with Sealand’s acquiescence) to issue Letters-of Status (i.e., imperial nomenclature) for a fee for which you retain ten percent.

Perfect would be having Sealand as a taxing entity – say eighth of a percent per annum – to Sealand registered companies who, being Sealand registered, pay less home-country taxes (look it up).

You, as Baron Andrew, aid in this (at, say, a tenth of a percent per annum) since you are a registered representative of Sealand.

You know, Ambassador Baron Andrew, this could be a real interesting retirement project.

MichaelR

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649614 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 2:56 PM
Andrew, get the baronetcy. Remember, Col. Harlan Sanders was an honorary Kentucky colonel.

Me? I’d go further. I’d register with the US State Department as a US citizen representing a yet-to-be-recognized nation. In effect being a domestic-located possible-in-the-future embassy/legation (but square that with Sealand first) with the authority to (again with Sealand’s acquiescence) to issue Letters-of Status (i.e., imperial nomenclature) for a fee for which you retain ten percent.

Perfect would be having Sealand as a taxing entity – say eighth of a percent per annum – to Sealand registered companies who, being Sealand registered, pay less home-country taxes (look it up).

You, as Baron Andrew, aid in this (at, say, a tenth of a percent per annum) since you are a registered representative of Sealand.

You know, Ambassador Baron Andrew, this could be a real interesting retirement project.

MichaelR

Thanks, Michael. At first when I read your post, I groaned, "OMG, sounds too much like work to me." But on second thought, you've really given me something to think about. Seems overwhelming to me now, but only because I don't have the background or level of knowledge to really get what you are saying. But it's definitely something to look into for sure.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649693 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/18/2012 11:22 PM
I didn't vote.

Here's my answer:

Will spending the money on this prevent or delay you from doing something that is more important to you?

If yes - then don't spend the money on this.

If maybe - evaluate the risks.

If no - then why not?

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649908 of 753809
Subject: Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date: 10/20/2012 12:11 AM
"And, I already made a rather lengthy post detailing the research I've done and what I've found out and why I don't view Prince Michael of Sealand as merely "some guy" who "fancies himself a monarch". I've already done the homework. It's just like when you tell NDE skeptics that they haven't done the reading you have done. Same here." - Andrew
----------------------------

I'm busy here trying to start a new religion. I fancy myself a prophet. Takes a lot of work.

His Holiness the Dali Art

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement