UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14995  
Subject: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/24/2012 3:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone having sleeping problems and love to share?

Can't sleep. Decided to post a poll here. My sleep varies, but mostly insufficient sleep. Touch of insomnia in that I can't fall asleep sometimes, but most of the time something wakes me up and then I can't fall back to sleep.

Of course, jumping on the computer doesn't help me fall back to sleep, but I am here nonetheless.

I have compensated in recent weeks by napping during the day time. Since I am home on full-time disability, this is an option for me. If I was still working, I know this would have been a bigger problem when chronic. I did have some sleep problems when I used to work though I don't remember how well I coped.
Significantly not enough sleep
Significant more sleeping than usual
Quality of sleep significantly impaired
No significant sleep problems, if any
Zzzzzzz

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14859 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/24/2012 3:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The fact 2that you posted this just after 3 am but it is only 2:27 am disturbs me a bit, but not a lot.

I got up because I couldn't sleep. I normally have trouble sleeping in summer because it is hot. So we bought an air conditioner, I am still not sleeping all that well. Maybe I sleep too late in the morning and then the next night Im not tired until....
well I am tired but still can't sleep. So I messed about on the computer and found your note.

My situation may be different from yours because I am retired now and don't actually have special things to do most days. Tomorr.

ow I do. We have a class at 1;30. Not so early

One thing that does drive me nuts is when the computer decideght tomorrow. Well I'm just not going to edit any more. so there.
thorous to start typing somewhere I am not, like above, when Imanaged to notice the period it put in half way

joycets

Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14860 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/24/2012 11:02 AM
Good morning, joycets!

I got up just after 9:00 am.

If it helps, I believe TMF is on Eastern Daylight Time, like me (I think TMF is in the Virginia-DC area; I am in NY). If you're in Central Daylight Time, the times you see would probably always be an hour ahead? So, for me, I was up darned late.

For me, environmental factors can be the summer heat, but it was still relatively comfortable the last few nights. Admittedly, one factor are my cats, especially the two senior boys. My cranky old man will come over and bug me repeatedly to feed him. The nicer, but still annoying #2 man will bug me plenty to feed them. The last few nights, I usually lock them out of the bedroom. The dog sleeps with me, usually.

Fed the cats (who were fussy), puttered about. Finally got dressed and walked the dog who wanted to hang out for a bit to watch some furniture deliverymen down the street (okay, he didn't care about them, he just wanted to pee on the new furniture). Finally came back in, made some coffee, did more puttering about before getting online.

My disability is one of nearly absolute sloth broken up only periodically by apathy.

Alright, not completely true, but that's how I have felt for some while. I am trying to kickstart myself to be more engaged in various necessary, desirable, or even frivolous activities or obligations.

And you said you have a class? Would you care to share a little? I was just talking to my roomie/godchild about going back to school (for each of us). I've been thinking for more than a year about going to college. When I'm inspired, I long for self-improvement and self-enhancement. When not so inspired, I work on just remembering to take a shower and brush my teeth.

Thanks,
Lois Carmen D.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14861 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/24/2012 3:31 PM
One of my meds helps significantly with this.

If I miss one dose, I can't sleep at all.

But if I take it, I sleep longer and deeper than I used to before I started to take it.

Ishtar

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14862 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/25/2012 9:22 PM
If I remember right, the Fool is running on eastern time. I would expect daylight savings time, but who knows. They may just be marching to a different drummer. I will know once I look at this post, but by then I will already have sent it (so all I can do is find out if I said something dumb or not.)

This week I'd have picked at least 2 choices if I could have. Not enough sleep, not especially good quality of sleep either. Usually it's not this bad. I blame the hot weather for part of this. Several nights recently it's been 80F or higher in the bedroom (this with the fan blowing air in from outside.)

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14863 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/26/2012 7:50 AM
I used to be a champeen sleeper. But after a couple years of menopause, which cncided with working oart time at home, I started sleeping about 2am to 9-11am. Still got about 8 hrs, though. then I started waking up earlier while still falling asleep late. now I'm lucky to get 6 hours. I seem unable to nap, so it leaves me a bit draggy. I did see a sleep doc, who of course wanted me to stop using the computer before bed. But that just means I'm wide staring awake in the dark longer.

my husband has always been an awesome sleeper, but with age/prostate enlargement, he has to get up to pee most nights. not normally a problem except when we're RVing. Then he has to climb around me (I'm a wee bit claustrophobic and cannot sleep between him & a wall), so he wakes me up maybe 2-3 nights a week. I can usually go right back to sleep, but not always.

Unlike when I was younger, I now need dead quiet, utter blackness, and perfect comfort (great mattress and pillows, soft bed linens/blanket, comfy temp which in my case means in the 60s) in order to fall asleep. if I can see so much as the sleep light on a laptop or the green light of the smoke detector, it's a problem.

I have also learned that getting more exercise is little help in my case. Also, I seem immune to the soporific effects of Melatonin, aspirin/ibuprofen or Benadryl, and caffeine seems to make no difference either. Even sex, which used to be a great sleep aid, doesn't seem to work that way any more. I borrowed a couple of diazepam from my friend, but that gave me unrestful sleep that left me feeling drugged--and not in a good way.

One good thing is that with weight loss, less allergy probs (much less post-nasal drip) and better immune system through diet, nutritional supplements and alternative medicine--and maybe age and just good luck, difficulty breathing is rarely an issue.

I do better when we're RVing (except for my husband sometimes waking me up), as I tend to get to sleep 10pm-midnight instead of midnight-1 or 2am.

I have no idea if I'm clinically depressed, but I'm definitely cranky and less happy on less sleep. Sigh.

Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14864 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/27/2012 5:38 AM
Thanks everyone for responses. My sympathies with everyone struggling with getting a good night's sleep.

Right now, I've been up for about two hours. I had over four hours of solid sleep, interrupted only by going to the bathroom and dozed briefly, but then stirred awake and been up since.

alstroemeria, thank you for the details about how your sleep has changed and what has helped and what doesn't. I am 47-years-old and not yet perimenopausal. I've heard only brief references how much harder sleep can be to achieve for many post-menopausal women. I've got a lot to learn.

I am also wondering if sleeping issues might be of enough interest to start a board on TMF, regardless of causes and situations? Every so often, I heard articles about how common sleeping problems are in the U.S. A quick google comes up with this CDC link with statistics on sleep problems http://www.cdc.gov/Features/dsSleep/

Lois Carmen D.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14865 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/27/2012 8:58 AM
A Sleep board would be one of my faves fer sure.

=alstro, got 7 straight hours last night--WooHoo!

Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14866 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/27/2012 11:36 PM
A Sleep board would be one of my faves fer sure.

=alstro, got 7 straight hours last night--WooHoo!

Great sleep, congratulations!

Do you think there is anybody (other than me, LOL) who would want to request such a board and possibly keep it going? I would be an eager reader, lurker, and possibly infrequent participant of course, but I don't have as much experience or ability to keep such a board afloat myself.

About to go to sleep now. I am actually tired; I usually am at bedtime, but sometimes mentally too active for different reasons. Though two nights ago, I fell asleep prematurely while sitting on the floor sorting laundry. The cats came over and woke me up and I found myself surrounded by both laundry and cats.

Sweet dreams!

Lois Carmen D.

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14867 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/30/2012 2:10 PM
Answers to lcd (a week later) on not sleeping, cats, and the one shot class.

The Class at 1:30 is the required class to work an election. In Texas this year we have a primary runoff election Tuesday (that's tomorrow), which is obscenely late being in JULY instead of March, but, well, there's legal reasons........... Anyway My husband & I are Judge / Alt Judge which everyone says 'how nice that you volunteered'. We each make about $100 for the day so that works, and we get to see a lot of people, if they come and vote. This will probably have, oh 100 if we get real lucky.

Anyway that was the class. I was much less pessimistic & more manic when I was in school, but that didn't work out & I'm retired "doin' mostly nothin" (=facebook).
As for cats & sleep. I miss sleeping with the momcat, which I only did when I worked nights, which I don't miss. For other reasons (mostly involving mess/piles) the cats stay in the bathroom at night (3 of them were born in that room to the other one) and when we are out of the house. My sleep problem with cats is that feeding them has become a great pain ITA. since I have to feed Pudge seperately (diet) and Pounce special food, and I worry about the other's eating pouncie's diet, etc. etc. It seems to stress me out to deal with that. Made husband do it saturday night.

joycets

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14868 of 14995
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/30/2012 2:23 PM
My sleep situation has changed recently because we now have one (one!) cool room, the bedroom, and we had to build a wall so it could be cooled, and somehow I feel it has changed the feng shui of the house in a negative way though I can't explain that.

Tend to lie in bed thinking about things, and sometime staring at the interesting shapes in my Lava Lamp if it is warm enough to do its thing.
(don't keep it on allllll day).

joycets

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement