UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: waldronr Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76420  
Subject: Poll: Telecom Leasing Program Date: 2/28/2000 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yes, it's a great investment.
No, I don't think so.
I don't know, but am willing to take a chance.
I don't know, but won't take a chance.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19592 of 76420
Subject: Re: Poll: Telecom Leasing Program Date: 2/28/2000 2:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
See post 67 in Financial Scams, which cites the following:

http://www.sec.gov/enforce/litigrel/lr16267.htm

Author: loyoak Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19658 of 76420
Subject: Re: Poll: Telecom Leasing Program Date: 2/29/2000 8:38 PM
Nothing like taking a survey of the general publics ignorance to prove the worth of something. Telecom leasing is new with the deregulation of the pay phone industry in l997. Many thousands of satisfied clients, mostly retirees, are enjoying an income free of interest rate and market risks. Loy, Registered Investment Advisor.

Author: loyoak Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19659 of 76420
Subject: Re: Poll: Telecom Leasing Program Date: 2/29/2000 8:43 PM
Because some crooks used pay phones as a medium in a ponzi scheme doesn't mean everybody associated with the industry is a crook. Go watch the movie Boiler Room and the I guess everybody associated with stocks is a crook.

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19661 of 76420
Subject: Re: Poll: Telecom Leasing Program Date: 2/29/2000 9:06 PM
loyoak: "Nothing like taking a survey of the general public's ignorance to prove the worth of something. Telecom leasing is new with the deregulation of the pay phone industry in l997. Many thousands of satisfied clients, mostly retirees, are enjoying an income free of interest rate and market risks." Loy, Registered Investment Advisor."

First, I notice that the claim of maoney back at anytime, including end of lease has disappeared.

Second, if the deal is so free of "interest rate and market risk" then explain to how it would survice a bankruptcy filing by the lessee? I will gladly listen. If it would not, then it is not free of market of risk.

In addition, please explain how the risks mentioned in the prior posts, specifically:

19626 http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1040013005019000&sort=postdate

<<<<<2. Part of the deal is the contractual obligation of PT to buy back the phone; either in lease term or at end of lease term. As of 12/31/99; PT had approx 8300 phones undewr lease or a contingent "buyback" obligation in the range of $6mm. As of approx. the same date PT had approx. $2.5mm in cash or about 40% to 50% of the cash needed should everyone cashout in a quick manner.

A general confirmation of this is the audited financials disclosure of future period lease payments which run 1999/2000/2001 of $2.8mm; 2002 $3.8mm and then 2003 of $19.6mm. So apparently the big "5 year anniversary" of leases occurs in 2003!!!>>>>

It surely seems like larger & larger sums of new money will need to come in the door (particularly in the 2003 & later periods) in order to effectively "rollover" the installed phone inventory.
If there is any risk that these new dollars will not be forthcoming, then the deal has market risk.

19637 http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1040013005019004&sort=postdate

<<<<Even if bankruptcy is not filed, I would guess that any disputes must be settled in some forum not convenient to the investor, under a choice of law provision most favorable to the telcom company, probably with the limited remedies, and also possibly in litigation [sic, that should have been arbitration]. Even if there is no bankruptcy filing, how many investors will take the time and money to chase them to a judgement that may or may not be collectible? Some deal!>>>>

What is the agreed forum for settling disputes?
Which state's law does the choice of law provision elect?
Does the lease (or other agreement) contain any limitations of remedies?
Are the investors forced to arbitrate?

I am willing to listen to your explanation, if you think that you can make one, but all you seem to like to do is make assertions without providing any back-up evidence or support.

I will close by reminding you that in virtually every Ponzi scheme the promoters and initial investors usually "make" money until the scheme collapses under its own weight; but the money that is made generally comes from subsequent investors and not from an outstanding investment.

JAFO

Author: waldronr Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19681 of 76420
Subject: Re: Poll: Telecom Leasing Program Date: 3/1/2000 11:01 AM
Recommendations: 1
Nothing like taking a survey of the general publics ignorance to prove the worth of something.

Sorry Loy,
Just sounds too good to be true, to me.
1) Who guarantees the income?
2) Who continues to pay when the company goes bust?
3) You?
4) Or is it backed by the federal Govt.?
5) How can we access the company's financial statement?
6) Is it filed with the SEC?

Note that the pole has gotten zero, naught, null positive responses. One person is willing to take a chance.

I think you have a very tough sell here on this Fools board, but if you can honestly answer the above 6 questions we may at least be able to research the efficasy of your scheme.

I might also remind you that talking down to potential clients is not a great way to do buisness, even for a 'WISE' financial advisor.

Ron W.

Author: waldronr Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19685 of 76420
Subject: Re: Poll: Telecom Leasing Program Date: 3/1/2000 11:46 AM
Because some crooks used pay phones as a medium in a ponzi scheme doesn't mean everybody associated with the industry is a crook.

No, it doesn't Loy.
But realize that if the scheme should go bust, you'll feel very bad, but your clients will feel broke!

Ron W.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement