Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WayneOwl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/19/2005 11:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I would rather not work at all
I really like my current job
I'd rather have a job more in tune with my avocation
I'm currently looking for something else
I have already retired 'early'

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3529 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/19/2005 11:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Where's the "I want a job in my pants" option ;)

I'm somewhere between "I would rather not work at all" and "I'd rather have a job more in tune with my avocation". I'd like to work part time (set my hours kind of deal) doing something interesting and challenging.

-murray

Author: ShyMac One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3530 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/19/2005 12:46 PM
I'm somewhere between "I would rather not work at all" and "I'd rather have a job more in tune with my avocation".

Me, too.

Sherry

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3531 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/19/2005 1:27 PM
Recommendations: 6
I need one that says; "I really like my current job and I would rather not work at all"

I guess my strongest feeling is "I would like work to be optional"

Author: edwinj Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3532 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/19/2005 2:22 PM
I guess my strongest feeling is "I would like work to be optional"

That's my sentiment exactly!

-Ed

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3533 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/19/2005 2:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
I need one that says; "I really like my current job and I would rather not work at all"

I fall in that category.

I told my boss that if I had to work another 30 years before I retire, I'd have absolutely no objection to doing so here... but that I only have about 5 years, and when the day comes, anyone between me and the door risks getting trampled.

Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3534 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/20/2005 6:50 AM

I pretty much like my job, I just wish it were closer to home or at the very least, offered more flexibility in terms of schedule.

That said, I still feel like I need a change, so I am waiting for an announcement expected soon. We hear they'll be calling for volunteers around the 4th qtr., so I think I'll take a package and leap into the wild blue yonder.

It's an interesting dichotomy - on the one hand, I can't wait to jump at the prospect. On the other, the change seems overwhelming. (I've been there 16 yrs.)

MG

Author: jB692 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3535 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/20/2005 12:59 PM
Recommendations: 3
How about an option for "I want to be busy doing work but at activities I like but not needing them to produce a paycheck"

Its often said if you far prefer making art or woodworking or even remodeling, change your career to that. Problem is, making it produce a paycheck means moving at a pressured pace without time to make it your best work. Nor even having features you really like that may not sell well.

So the goal becomes retire as early as possible to do very different rewarding things.

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3537 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/21/2005 3:21 PM
I'm somewhere between "I would rather not work at all" and "I'd rather have a job more in tune with my avocation". I'd like to work part time (set my hours kind of deal) doing something interesting and challenging.

Same with me.

Donna

Author: mz00m Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3545 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 8/31/2005 4:28 PM
I love my job... but I'd rather not have to work. For now, it'll do!

mz00m

Author: jimswarthout Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3553 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 9/2/2005 2:30 PM
I also like the hybrid not work/more in tune with avocation.

Author: LuceLu Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3557 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 9/26/2005 8:55 AM
Warning: Long
I really like my current job. I just don't want to have to be there so long. I'd like to do this 2 or 3 days a week instead of 5. It is good work but just very tiring and draining after awhile. By Thursday, my goose is cooked.

I am an oncology nurse who works at an outpatient infusion office. I give IV chemotherapy, blood products and biotherapy products (as well as other IV meds). I also educate and commiserate, work with new patients (new diagnosis) and help raise people's spirits and make them feel better when they are down. There aren't a lot of people that are willing to work as a nurse, or in oncology (because they feel it is too depressing). However, I see many remissions, there is much hope out there. Even for people who have the worst diagnosis, I can help them get more time. That's all everyone wants is more time.

I'd like to get to a point where I can transition to part time. I have considered going to 4 ten hour shifts but that may make the day too agonizingly long for me. I used to work 3 twelve hour shifts and that was nice but by the 3rd day.... I think 3 eight hour shifts are perfect.

Until that time, we have bills to pay, a car payment, student loans, a kid to put through Catholic school and college/post secondary training.

My dh is a union electrician and was out of work for about 6 months this year. He will most likely travel when he gets laid off again. Whatever you hear about electricians making mad money, forget it, it's not true (unless they have their own company or something). However, he has good benefits.

I had to take a sick day today because my son is sick (fever and sore throat). I hate taking my sick days. I want to save them up. When you retire from my job, you can use your unused sick days (at your retirement pay level) to pay for their health insurance. I forget how many you can keep in your bank--60 days perhaps. Maybe I'll use personal time instead (we get 5 days a year and if you don't use them, you lose them).

I am tired today also because I did just find out that one of my patients died on Friday, she had gotten worse and worse. Two weeks ago, I was in the room when the doctor told her that the MRI showed two new spots on her brain. I had to give her a really big hug. Her reaction to the news was almost a knowing resignation. She was so calm. After the first radiation treatment to her brain, she was so sick, throwing up, etc. We gave her meds and fluids, and she went home. Last week she came in on a sick call and she looked very grey. The last words I said to her last week was "bye Gerry, I really hope you feel better soon." right before they transported her over to the hospital for admission. Although she was feeling like total crap, having pain, acites, shortness of breath etc. smiled and said thank you. She had a smile that just lit her whole face and made her beautiful, it always reached her eyes. That is when my job really sucks. I prayed hard for her this Sunday in church. Then I go home and read that she died. I guess she has no more pain or discomfort.

The other time my job sucks is the regulatory crap. JCAHO now wants everything labeled on and off the sterile field. The sterile field will be contaminated if you label something there. It is a logistical nightmare. When we do bone marrow biopsies, the doctor tells me to draw up Lidocaine or Versed. I take the vial, show it to the doctor, hold the vial for the doctor and she then draws the drug out, holds up the syringe, states the dosage/ml, I verify it and then it is administered. (I generally will administer, that can be labeled). The doctor's hands are sterile and so is the syringe. If I put a label on it, that contaminates the field. It is crazy. We are supposed to put together a policy/protocol and then QI it to death.

Well, that is why I would like part-time. I'd like the other time to cook, bake, paint, garden, do work on a house (either my home or our future camp out in the boonies) etc.

LuceLu

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3558 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 9/26/2005 9:47 AM
>> Well, that is why I would like part-time. I'd like the other time to cook, bake, paint, garden, do work on a house (either my home or our future camp out in the boonies) etc. <<

Sounds like a good plan to me -- nice work if you can get it!

I'd imagine that if your husband can get more steady employment, you shouldn't have any problems getting such a working arrangement given your occupation.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3559 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 9/26/2005 1:53 PM
I really like my current job. I just don't want to have to be there so long. I'd like to do this 2 or 3 days a week instead of 5. It is good work but just very tiring and draining after awhile. By Thursday, my goose is cooked.

I am an oncology nurse who works at an outpatient infusion office. I give IV chemotherapy, blood products and biotherapy products (as well as other IV meds). I also educate and commiserate, work with new patients (new diagnosis) and help raise people's spirits and make them feel better when they are down. There aren't a lot of people that are willing to work as a nurse, or in oncology (because they feel it is too depressing). However, I see many remissions, there is much hope out there. Even for people who have the worst diagnosis, I can help them get more time. That's all everyone wants is more time.

I'd like to get to a point where I can transition to part time. I have considered going to 4 ten hour shifts but that may make the day too agonizingly long for me. I used to work 3 twelve hour shifts and that was nice but by the 3rd day.... I think 3 eight hour shifts are perfect.

Perhaps as an interim thing you could consider working part-time in that specific job, and part-time as a nurse in some less stressful area of medicine. (Or elsewhere, but work other than as a nurse would presumably have less synergy with your current skills and therefore either pay less or require more training.)

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3560 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 9/26/2005 2:04 PM
My dh is a union electrician and was out of work for about 6 months this year. He will most likely travel when he gets laid off again. Whatever you hear about electricians making mad money, forget it, it's not true (unless they have their own company or something). However, he has good benefits.

I can certainly identify with this. My DH was a union welder for about 15 years, and his employment was spotty. While his hourly wage was great, the work was not steady, so his income wasn't as much as you'd think.

It's only been in the past 8 years, when he got elected to Business Manager for the union hall, that he made good, steady money for a prolonged period. That enabled him to retire in July at the age of 59. I plan to retire in 4-6 years, after the house is paid off, and I feel I have enough of a cushion. I don't think I'll transition to part-time, but that might be an option.

--Chooey

Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3561 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 9/27/2005 10:09 AM

<<LuceLu is already one of your Favorite Fools>>

Luce,

You are a bright light in an uncaring world.

MG

Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3562 of 5069
Subject: Re: Poll: What About You? Date: 9/27/2005 10:16 AM
LuceLu

I was a nurse for over 20 yrs. I can identify with all that you wrote. You sound like such a loving, giving, kind person.

I used to have work take out money for savings bonds every month. This was in addition to my retirement account. The savings bonds were much, but today they are my "play money" I retired at 53. \\

But I was totally burnt. I think your idea of 3 days a week is a good idea. Make it happen. Maybe you won't retire early. It sounds like you love your work. I think you know what you need to do. You need to cut back to 3 days a week. Just do it. It will work out.

Fool Kath

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement