Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ajvillas One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5084  
Subject: Poll: What age Date: 12/8/2003 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Below 45 - oh how nice it would be
45-50
51-55
56-60
61 and higher

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1503 of 5084
Subject: Re: Poll: What age Date: 12/8/2003 12:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
43-45. I'm 38 right now, and I am now at the halfway mark for net worth for my FIRE figure. I only really started saving at 32.

- Gus

Author: jennynoel Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1504 of 5084
Subject: Re: Poll: What age Date: 12/8/2003 1:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
45-50, but it depends on how soon I get a job that actually pays. I'm in graduate school right now so until I graduate my biggest goals are to stay out of debt and max out my Roth each year. Once I get my PhD I'll shovel as much as I can into retirement investments.

I'll be 22 in 3 weeks.

-jennynoel (avoiding "the real world" on both ends)

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1506 of 5084
Subject: Re: Poll: What age Date: 12/8/2003 10:13 PM
Recommendations: 2
From being broke in 1979 I went to being financially independent and quitting regular employment in twenty years at age 49. I am single and no children. That was on an office clerical or blue collar income.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Crazyinlovefool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1510 of 5084
Subject: Re: Poll: What age Date: 12/9/2003 11:30 AM
Recommendations: 3
My original goal was FIRE in my forties. Now at 39 I have a 7mo and I would like for her to have a few siblings, so I've opted for MOOTFL for now and FIRE at 55. While taking a year off for maternity leave has slowed my march towards FIRE, it was all my previous efforts that made taking the year off possible in the first place. My daughter and this time with her now is definitely worth the additional time til FIRE.

Crazyinlovefool

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1512 of 5084
Subject: Re: Poll: What age Date: 12/9/2003 12:59 PM
Recommendations: 2
I guess it all depends on what age you become aware of FIRE and then when you can position yourself to become FI. I was 36 when I first became aware of FIRE however it took another year or so before I was able to start doing heavy-duty saving. I FIREd at age 47.

When it comes to FIRE, I think it is helpful to set a realistic goal--however just know that things may not go exactly to plan. Like Crazyinlovefool, I too elected to MOOTFL for a while. And like most people my portfolio took a hit during the recent stock market downturn. The net effect was I FIREd two years later than I had planned and with a smaller portfolio.

Author: terminalwriter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1526 of 5084
Subject: Re: Poll: What age Date: 12/10/2003 3:04 PM
So my question is what is your realistic goal for reaching FIRE?

I have no idea! I'm still trying to get outta debt first and that all depends on how well I do in tips...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement