Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23758  
Subject: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/5/2013 4:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You go to a running store, and they don't have the shoe you want in the color you want. They offer to order it for you, but it takes 5-7 days for the shoe to arrive. What do you do?
Place the order.
Go home and order it.
Rant and vow never to shop in the store again.
Try a different shoe and see if that works.
I got running shoes in my pants.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: navy58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23368 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/5/2013 9:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Why do I have a feeling you had a recent experience with #3 :)

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23369 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/5/2013 9:38 PM
Recommendations: 3
Go home and order it from Running Warehouse (free 2-day shipping).

But seriously, if I get fitted for new shoe at my LRS, I will ALWAYS buy my first pair from them.

Author: pcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23370 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/5/2013 10:51 PM
Recommendations: 4
That's it Charlie. I'm sick and tired of your STUPID POLLS. I am NEVER going to vote in one of them again. I'm going to go to ANOTHER online running website now. And its all YOUR FAULT.

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23371 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/6/2013 8:58 AM
Recommendations: 3
I'm disappointed and I won't be filling out your poll.

Look, I want a forum poll that has more than five options. It should also be in teal. I bet I can find a option here on the Fool to make a poll that has ten options and shows up in Teal. The Fool will do it for me if I ask. You'll see.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23372 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/6/2013 1:09 PM
Recommendations: 2
I like it when a thread rolls this way.

I want another option on the poll before I join in....

"Try this running shoe in any orifice you choose"

The colour won't matter too much (as much as I like teal)......but the size might make a difference.

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23373 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/6/2013 4:28 PM
Color? Really? What a luxury! I'm happy if manufacturers even make shoes that fit my wide, size-14, high arch, high instep feet. So of course I'm waiting 5-7 days... LRS price and order time are painless when just getting a shoe that fits me is a hunt to begin with.

...and my LRS shout-out goes to ZombieRunner! I love that place.

--Rod

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23374 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/6/2013 6:20 PM
Recent? Try the month of January. Don't even get me started on the women(yes women) who want to haggle the price with me.

I gently remind them that we are not a flea market.

Charlie

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23375 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/7/2013 7:31 AM
Recent? Try the month of January. Don't even get me started on the women(yes women) who want to haggle the price with me.

I gently remind them that we are not a flea market.

In a way, it's web sites such as this that's almost encouraged this sort of "LBYM-ness".....I put it in "quotes", because it's not an example of personal frugality so much as wanting a deal at someone else's expense.

Don't think it's just you, Charlie. Back when I had my practice, I hung out on the Self Employed Fools board and it was a pretty motley collection of self employment. Periodically a post such as your would start a run of, "You think that's bad, listen to this....."

Of course, you don't quite have the luxury of handling things the way some of the guys on that board came up with and I don't envy you there one bit. Here's my gripe of the week..

So yesterday I was teaching my regular 9 am class and a couple of new members came in. Did the meet and greet thing......so I was walking around during the first few minutes of warm-up chatting, running through safety tips etc..waiting to get down to business and a third casual attendee came in, set the bike up and proceeded to get her ipod out and put the earplugs in. I discreetly walked up to her and motioned to put the ipod away....and then noticed the two new gals had there's firmly plugged in (the reason, I guess, why the latecomer felt it was OK) Did the same discreet motion......to the response that they don't like my music and they'd get a better workout with their own. Too early in the game to point out the obvious.....to workout on their own on the gym floor. Left it go for the time being but halfway through class with the gal who had taken the ipod off giving 'em the stink eye (and likely weighing up whether to get hers out), my regulars alternately shaking their heads in amazement or chuckling at the thought of how I was going to handle it (i.e. being distracted from their workout and a music selection including but not limited to stuff by Syntax, Junkie XL, Rhianna, Flo-Rida, Depeche Mode etc. I turned the mic up and asked them if they could give me a heads-up on exactly which of the previous tracks weren't to their taste and what they'd suggest instead. In a very reasoable voice, mind. They took their earpieces out then but, really.....

I fancy that, in your position I'd purchase for myself a pair of shoes, cut the sole off and whip 'em out as the model you keep for folk who want 10% off (or whatever they try to beat you down to) I got that sort of idea from the SE board.

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23376 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/8/2013 4:00 PM
Don't even get me started on the women(yes women) who want to haggle the price with me.

I assumed it was about women/some specific woman, because you mentioned color as a deciding factor. Given a choice, I'll have a color preference; but first, the shoe has to fit right for running/walking/loafing around.

My personal preference would always be to buy locally where I can be fitted, and I don't mind paying more to know it's right when I walk out. However . . .

The local running store doesn't keep my size in stock. One time only, I ordered a specific color; got a call back that they couldn't get that color. That call came at a terrible time for me to think rationally about what I wanted to do. So I canceled the order, came in later, and ordered a different shoe. Didn't specify color, and lived with what showed up.

But here's the deal: Once I know what shoe will fit and work right for running, if I'm going to have to wait for it to be ordered anyway I may as well order it online instead of driving to the local running shop. I know, this is a vicious circle. The more people do this, the less the store can keep in stock, and the more incentive there is to do this.

Still, if I'm going to get a new model of shoe, I'm inclined to order it through the local store to get the fit and the easy return if it isn't right. But I don't even look in the local stores for my walking shoes (Nike Air Monarchs, have to be black to pass as business casual.) And when I went online to order that specific color and model of shoe that the LRS couldn't get, I got it. In my size. In a surprisingly short time.

It's a puzzle. I'd like the LRS to stay in business, and I certainly buy accessories there; but it's hard for them to compete on *service* for shoes they don't keep in stock in my size. If the shoes were in stock, I wouldn't have a problem paying the LRS $110 for a pair I could get online for $90; but if the shoes aren't in stock, it's hard to justify a premium price for a less convenient ordering and delivery process.

Patzer

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23377 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/8/2013 5:14 PM
If the shoes were in stock, I wouldn't have a problem paying the LRS $110 for a pair I could get online for $90;

As a retail worker myself, I have to say that many of my customers are not nearly as high-minded as this.

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23378 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/9/2013 1:18 PM
It's a puzzle. I'd like the LRS to stay in business, and I certainly buy accessories there; but it's hard for them to compete on *service* for shoes they don't keep in stock in my size. If the shoes were in stock, I wouldn't have a problem paying the LRS $110 for a pair I could get online for $90; but if the shoes aren't in stock, it's hard to justify a premium price for a less convenient ordering and delivery process.

Why can't you call ahead and order the shoe, and then they contact you when it comes in?

Charlie

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23379 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/10/2013 9:42 AM
Recommendations: 5
Just to continue on this......

Some things you should know when ordering a shoe a running store doesn't carry, or keep in stock:

When you order it, the store loses money on that order, because the vendor sells it to them at next to no discount. Also, the store pays for the shipping of that shoe. Most running stores don't pass that expense on to the customer, because they are being loyal to their base.

Not all shoes can be ordered by a running store. Example....Mizuno comes out with a bright purple shoe you love, you go to the running store, and they try to order it for you. Mizuno may only allow that shoe to be sold in big box stores. Conversely, some shoes can only be gotten at a specialty running store. It isn't the store's fault if the company won't sell it to them.

Running stores can't carry a wide line of shoes and sizes. They typically carry what the most common sizes are, because that is what will sell. Don't blame them, shoes sitting in a store are money not being made, so order those shoes if you wish.

75% of shoes a running store orders for a customer NEVER get purchased. Yes....that's right NEVER. Remember what I wrote at the top, the store makes nothing on those shoes, and now the customer has gone to Dick's or online, because they couldn't wait. Some stores charge a restocking fee(mine does not). I don't blame them for that.

The deeper the discount online, the older the shoe. Older shoes do not hold up as well as the newer ones, because they die quicker.

So while you may buy accessories and other items at the local running store, know that 70%-75% of their business is selling shoes, and if you aren't buying your shoes there, they aren't making money, and soon your local store, will be Dick's.

Charlie

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23380 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/11/2013 9:27 AM
So while you may buy accessories and other items at the local running store, know that 70%-75% of their business is selling shoes, and if you aren't buying your shoes there, they aren't making money, and soon your local store, will be Dick's.

Don't just apply to shoe leather, Charlie.....or even to these times, come to that.

I remember back in Days of Yore a colleague of mine complaining about not being able to get decent cuts of meat these days like what you could at a local butcher in places like France (where he routinely vacationed)

"Where does the missus shop?" asked I

"Tesco" was the reply (a chain supermarket in the UK, FWIW)

Now, I'm not suggesting that shopping at Tesco....or wherever.....is a Bad Thing. But you get what you get.....and, ultimately, what you get is not service...or choice....or, even quality....but it's what you wanted at the time and were prepared to pay for......and might go the way of a decent cut of meat.

Author: prime13 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23381 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/11/2013 10:13 AM
Still, if I'm going to get a new model of shoe, I'm inclined to order it through the local store to get the fit and the easy return if it isn't right. But I don't even look in the local stores for my walking shoes

I am just the opposite here. My local running store does not allow returns on special orders and so if I am ordering a new shoe I will order from Running Warehouse that offers easy returns and free 2-day shipping (and free shipping on returns also) in case the shoes don't fit. Once I know model that fits I will usually order it from my local running store. Although I have to be careful with that, sometime the manufacturer changes the shoe without changing the model. Several years ago when I wore Nike Zoom Marathoners the first three pairs I had were all fine, I had to order them through the local running store and the fourth pair (same model and same size ordered) came in at least a half a size, and probably a full size smaller, with a different sole pattern and some changes in the uppers. But Nike gave it the identical name and model description. I have never ordered anything by Nike again.

Author: Scheller Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23383 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 2/17/2013 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 4
I'm confused. Shoes come in colors?

Author: nerokitty Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23450 of 23758
Subject: Re: Poll: What Do You Do? Date: 3/30/2013 11:26 PM
Actually color of the shoe doesn't matter to me. I would have gotten the size and the fit I wanted then, I wouldn't have waited for a specific color

Nero

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement