UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Patnbj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5806  
Subject: Poll: What would you do? Part deux Date: 8/13/2002 1:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Suck it up and stay at the current job
Take the package; find slow track job
Take the package; don't work at all
Other

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: michaelangela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 515 of 5806
Subject: Re: Poll: What would you do? Part deux Date: 8/13/2002 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Let's say that you were on track to retire within the next three years...so suddenly you get the opportunity to get a severance package which could bring you to ~ 70% of your goal nest egg

I don't think I'm reading this right. Are you saying that right now, with this hypothetical decision pending, the alleged individual is:

a. Less than 3 years from permanent, old-fashioned, zero-work retirement, AND
b. Said individual currently has less than 70% of desired nest egg?

That means that the individual in question is expecting to increase the nest egg by something like 70% over the next 3 years (if we assume that the person is currently sitting on, say, 60% of the desired nest egg). It's definitely do-able, but it suggests that either:

1. The nest egg needs are extraordinarily reasonable, or
2. The current level of income is extraordinarily high.

I voted to take the "bird in the hand" and go for the slow lane job. Especially if this person is only 48-50 years old. Lots of time to make more money.

Please clarify the given information, in case others are wondering.

Author: peteyperson Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 530 of 5806
Subject: Re: Poll: What would you do? Part deux Date: 8/16/2002 5:54 PM
I agree Michael, I have just posted a similar comment to a later re-posting of this poll (I think 3 polls were posted, God knows why!)

The poll did not make sense on the numbers. Plus lets be honest here, we're on a board entitled " Moving out of the slow lane ". Do we really think the majority would not select ' Take a slow job ' !! Which kinda makes the poll redundant anyway, no?

Petey

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement