UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CPAScott Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 9:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Already filed/will file today
Sometime in February
Sometime in March
Sometime in April (including April 15th)
At the last possible moment -- standing in line at the PO at 10:30pm!!

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151076 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 9:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Tax refund is 2,588. Filed as soon as I got my W-2!!

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151080 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 10:22 AM
I usually do my taxes on President's Day weekend (isn't that what it's there for?) but this year I'm swamped in February, so I'll probably do them in the middle of March.

Now, after I do all of the calculations, if I owe money I'll send it just before the 15th. So maybe I should have selected the last poll choice.

(It could go either way; I don't do a good job of noticing which rental expenses are repairs and which are capital improvements until I sit down and do the taxes.)

-Megan

Author: mikeg1382 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151086 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 11:07 AM
I usually file right away, but then again, I usually get a refund. This year, I owe almost $800 smackaroos, so you can bet I'll wait 'till the last moment!

Mike in NJ

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151088 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 11:14 AM
A quick poll to see when people are expecting to file their tax returns this year.

Hmm...well, I will do my taxes as soon as all my paperwork comes in. My general rule is that if I am going to get a refund, I file immediately and if I have to pay, I wait until April to file (although I'm not one of those folks standing in line at Midnight on 4/15).

I think I'm getting a refund, so I'll probably get mine filed in the next couple of weeks. I'm still waiting for one W-2.

d

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151090 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 11:42 AM
If they owe me, as early as possible. If I owe them, the first week of April. I usually do the taxes at the end of Feb to ensure reipt of the last few 1099s. This year I'm waiting for some corrected ones.

rad

Author: flynnister One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151094 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 12:02 PM
I would have filed already but I am still missing a 1098 mortgage interest form for a HELOC that will mean more than $200 in additional monies refunded to me, so I will be darned if I file without that form! I called Beneficial (who is a company that is anything but!) and they said that it was mailed out, but I should call back in a few days if I don't get it. Grumblegrumble.

I have since refinanced this loan, thank gawrsh. I was kind of desperate for the loan when I got it though, because my heating system died in October 2001, and Beneficial had sent me something in the mail that I was "preapproved" for a loan, so I called, and within a week I had the money. I needed $5k for a new furnace system, so it worked out well. And the furnace/ac is great! :) And now it is paid off. And I have learned my lesson. Never use beneficial for anything! :)

Laura

Author: velvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151098 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 12:55 PM
Of course I won't have the money removed from my account till April 14th :)

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151144 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 8:01 PM
Laura,

You wrote, I would have filed already but I am still missing a 1098 mortgage interest form for a HELOC that will mean more than $200 in additional monies refunded to me, so I will be darned if I file without that form! I called Beneficial (who is a company that is anything but!) and they said that it was mailed out, but I should call back in a few days if I don't get it. Grumblegrumble.

If you know the numbers, you don't actually have to wait for the 1098. You only need them for your records since you don't file a copy with the IRS. In fact, if the lender has the information online, a printout of that web page is probably enough proof for an audit. Heck, even your own hand-written record should be enough to require the auditor to research your claim. Real problems only arise when what you claim don't substantially match the IRS's records.

If you're expecting a return and you can get reliable information and you already have all the documents you need in-hand to submit the filing by mail, I'd just go ahead and file it and not worry about when the correction arrives...

- Joel

Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151151 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/3/2003 10:19 PM
I will be interested to see how my return turns out. I took a $6k pay cut last year (Hourly to Salaried, no more sweet overtime) so my taxable income is reduced to 1998 levels, but that extra pay had higher witholdings which contributed to tax refunds. Ideally they should balance out but I don't know for sure how it will turn out.

Author: Dielikadog One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151168 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/4/2003 8:27 AM
just filed this wkend, married/jointly - $1,961 refund! woohoo!

sd

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151183 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/4/2003 11:10 AM
I am curious too. I started working a second job, and will see what impact it had on finances. By that I mean paying more taxes or they owe me. I will find out soon enough.

I just got my county taxes and paid them today!

Plan on changing car insurance and home insurance and will save myself $300 a year. Next month, I wanted to get the county taxes paid for first.

Catleen

Author: flynnister One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151301 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/5/2003 12:01 PM
Yeah, I couldn't file without that 1098 because SOME of what I thought might be interest might NOT be interest, because we refinanced it, and it was really confusing. There was a penalty assessed, part of which was interest and part of which was not, which had to be divvied up by beneficial on the statement, so I had to wait and see. Most of it was called interest, though, good thing! It was closer to $250 in refund. Yay! :)

Laura (who filed all required documents yesterday, February 4, 2003, and expects equally prompt service from the IRS, thankyouverymuch).

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151552 of 308782
Subject: Re: Poll: When will you file? Date: 2/8/2003 12:28 AM
20% (27 Votes)
Already filed/will file today

Filed two weeks ago, got my refund today!

Ishtar

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement