Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 70803  
Subject: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/8/2012 7:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Where do you typically go to pick up a good used car?
A Dealer (certified pre-owned)
Craigslist / local paper
Ebay
Local used car lots
A friend had a used car in their pants

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69521 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/8/2012 10:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Dealers usually put their reputations behind the cars they sell. Hence, they select the best for sale on their lots and wholesale the rest.

Wrecks and junkers are usually sold elsewhere.

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69522 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/9/2012 11:25 AM
I stick with dealers, typically not pre-owned certified. In my state, all dealer cars have a several month bumper to bumper warranty, making buying from the dealer a good bet.

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69523 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/9/2012 12:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
That depends on what kind of used car you're looking for.

I've bought used cars from dealers and from private parties. I've never bought a certified pre-owned car.

If you're looking for a car that's, say, 2-4 years old, you probably want to look at dealers. And if you want a certified car, you must go there. They're going to have most of the inventory and will be able to assist with financing. For these newer cars, make sure you also take a look at the pricing for a new car to see that you're getting an adequate discount for the used car. Occasionally, the price difference between new and 1 or 2 model years older is so small as to make the new car the better choice.

For older cars - like 5 years and older - I'd go to private parties. I'm not fond of eBay, as it is sometimes hard to take a look at the car and test drive it. I like Craigslist better, as the cars are going to be local to you. That makes inspecting the car and test drives easier.

--Peter

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69524 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/9/2012 3:06 PM
Last one, replacing a totaled Honda Accord, was a lightly used Civic from the local Honda dealer... The Accord we had leased, then bought it at the end...

Just before that, craigslist came through after searching all over the area dealers... needed a Crew F150 w/4x4, tow package, as in larger fuel tank... Young family in Napa, company was giving him a PU, so he wanted out from under the one he listed... Took it to my independent mechanic to check it out, some minor issues, so we dove in, took some time for the seller to pay off, get the registration clear, but in the end we worked it out, everyone happy... Been a great vehicle, I added tow mirrors, brake controller, replaced the windshield, new tires, looks, acts like new.. I had some bad spark coils, fun to learn about, but it's all fixed, learned a lot.. Short trip to the coast next weekend...

So we check all sources, really... Never know what might pop up!

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69525 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/9/2012 5:31 PM
We have a few dealerships that we trust, with a mechanic for backup, just in case I try to leap before I look. Most recently made the purchase with a local dealer, but it was a 5 year old car, so no warranty as such.

Having a mechanic who is a good friend, as well as a mechanic who is currently dating our daughter, DH and I have been very fortunate with car repairs as of late.

LWW

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69526 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/9/2012 8:28 PM
Recommendations: 4
I've bought my last three vehicles off craigslist. I'm reasonably familiar with evaluating used cars and, with 17 years in the business, know what a deal is.

If I were looking for something newer than five years old, I might try dealers. But I really like buying five+ year old vehicles, because they have a lot of life left but have experienced most of their depreciation.

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69527 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/10/2012 10:13 PM
I'm going to be looking for one - or possibly two - 5+ year old cars in the next 6 months.

16 year old twins.

8O

Been dabbling a bit in Craigslist just to start to get an idea of prices. There's some local dealers around, too, it seems like some lots specialize in the cheaper cars (under 10K) and some in the pricier models.

It's been a LONG time since I bought a used car. I think I used a newspaper last time, if that tells you anything. DH and I tend to live cheap, save up, buy new, drive 'em till they won't start anymore...do it again. But I've only got 6 years on my current vehicle so - isn't that a little new for a kid who's going to ding it up? Yet you want safety features....

<sigh>

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69528 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/10/2012 10:20 PM
Recommendations: 3
If I were a long-term new car buyer with a six year old car and were faced with a choice between doing something I'd never done before or passing a six year old car down to my kid and getting a new car for myself, maybe a year or two sooner than I would have otherwise, I'd think hard about plan b.

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69529 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/11/2012 8:58 AM
Bought last car from a friend (her dad's car from estate), car before that on Craigslist, car before that from referral from same friend. Also have sold 3 cars on Craigslist. BTW, my coworker has been looking into getting her 16 yr old son a used car. She said the insurance agent told her to look for a 10 year old American sedan for the lowest rates.
JK

Author: agg97 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69530 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/11/2012 10:01 AM
I typically buy used from dealers of a different brand. For instance, if I want a Honda, I'm most interested in the ones at non-Honda dealers. My theory is that there's fewer people looking for Honda's on a Chevy lot than on a Honda lot, so there's less traffic and they willing to come off their price more than a Honda dealer would. The last car I bought was a Camry from a Land Rover dealer. The one before that was a Camry from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer.

-Agg97

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69531 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/11/2012 10:40 AM
I agree. If you go with something 2006 or newer, most of what you see in that category will have at least four airbags, anti-lock brakes and maybe even traction control. There should be lots to choose from. Such cars will be adult-driven and likely well-maintained.

Your kid might not be super-excited. Mine wasn't. I told him he could buy any car he wanted to pay for, or he could have his mother's old one as long as he stayed on the honor roll and out of trouble and could pay for insurance and gas. That's worked pretty well for him.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69532 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/11/2012 1:40 PM
I had to chuckle at this. My DH absolutely, positively cannot stand the jingle that our local Honda dealer uses. As a result, if he were to ever agree to purchase a Honda, there is no way he'd buy it from the local dealer, he'd definitely talk to someone else.

LWW

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69536 of 70803
Subject: Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date: 10/11/2012 10:48 PM
The last one came from a place that sells used fleet cars. It's been OK.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement