Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Poll: Who thinks the prior Poll is useless? Date: 9/30/2010 2:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Maybe now we can finally get some useful poll numbers?
Yes
No
I don't know?
My comments will follow

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16836 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Who thinks the prior Poll is useless? Date: 10/4/2010 10:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I find information about other people's retirement income to be useful, both amount and sources:

RETIREMENT INCOME SOURCES

AVERAGE		ALSTRO & SPOUSE
Social Security 40% 55%
Investments 13% 35%
Pensions 20% 10%
Work 26% 0%

Compared to the people we know in retirement or close to it (I'm retired and DH will be in 2011 or 12), we're expecting more SS, about the same investment income, less pension, and less work income. I have a close relative who turned much of his investments into annuities and another close relative who rolled over a retirement annuity (fully funded by their employer) to an IRA (investments).

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16837 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Who thinks the prior Poll is useless? Date: 10/4/2010 11:02 PM
Like Astroemaria, my SS is the largest chunk of my income.

Mine breaks down like this (as a single person):

SS 55.83%
Investment Income: 22.43%
Work 21.74%

Since I only work about 12 hours per week through my SubS Corporation, I collect only 1 paycheck per month, usually. However, if business is really good, I will collect 2 checks. This year, I have collected a total of 11 paychecks, and I do not see any increase in 2011. (Real estate paralegal.) I have not started collecting dividends from my investments, as they are reinvested at this point. The investment income is a mortgage I hold on a home I sold in FL.

Donna (who does not desire to quit work altogether)

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16838 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Who thinks the prior Poll is useless? Date: 10/5/2010 2:05 AM
Thanks Donna and alstroemeria for your useful retirement income information. My poll shows as of 10/4/10 11:05 pm PST only 19% of responders found the previous poll results to be useful.

Wishing both of you a happy and healthy retirement.

Rich

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16839 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Who thinks the prior Poll is useless? Date: 10/5/2010 5:00 PM
Compared to the people we know in retirement or close to it (I'm retired and DH will be in 2011 or 12), we're expecting more SS, about the same investment income, less pension, and less work income. I have a close relative who turned much of his investments into annuities and another close relative who rolled over a retirement annuity (fully funded by their employer) to an IRA (investments).

Some people just feel safer having a set amount coming in. If you don't trust that your company will pay your pension (retirement annuity) for your lifetime, it might be better to cash it in and invest it. I trust my company to pay for my lifetime, so my pension is my annuity. But I also have my IRA and a taxable account. And....I do work a little that supports my dogs and may come in handy supplementing my daughter's rent when needed.

Birgit

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16840 of 19224
Subject: Re: Poll: Who thinks the prior Poll is useless? Date: 10/6/2010 3:50 PM
Our retirement income sources breaks down as follows:

Social Security 24%
Investments 40%
Pension 36%
Work 0%

Both my wife and I are both retired.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement