Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DuckVersion8 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71238  
Subject: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 3:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Still has "soccer mom" stigma
Now associated with "old fart drivers"
Still the completely polar opposite of a fun car.
Any of of the above, combined.
Other (please specify)

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: SDMcR Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30314 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 3:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Other:

I don't hate minivans, they are just not practical for us. I DO need something that will haul people and stuff, but we have one child and do not anticipate any more, so a minivan is just too much vehicle. A station wagon is sufficient. And cost less to insure.

Susan

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30316 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 3:21 PM
I chose "other". The damn things drive like trucks! I like driving an actual car, not something "high up" (whether minivan, suv or whatever). The other problem is that you now have the choice between way overpriced vehicles (Odyssey and Sienna) or way underwhelming vehicles (Caravan, Windstar/Freestar, Chevy vans, etc.). I'm happy to see more wagons coming on the market, although I'd rather see models that focus on safety and cargo space and not snazzy designs that cut off 1/3 of the usable space.

Author: CatBarber Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30317 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 3:23 PM
My sister sees a minivan as a *Soccer Mom* car and wanted nothing to do with them. She and BIL decided on a Chevy Suburban instead. BIL is 6' 5" and big, and all 3 of her boys will also be tall, so that helped them decide what SUV to buy.

Before the Suburban, she schlepped them around in her Volvo Wagon.

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30318 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 3:23 PM
I like minivans. ive always liked minivans. seven passenger capacity, decent fuel economy, dirt cheap to insure, reasonably pleasant to drive. no sex appeal at all.

i dont need a minivan, but i'd sure buy one before a yukon or sequoia or whatever. that's just me tho.

Author: DuckVersion8 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30320 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 3:40 PM
I agree with Susan and Brewer, I'd rather see more station wagons become available as well. I would LOVE to have a Volvo V70, but the rear seats don't have enough legroom, same goes for the VW Passat wagon and the Subaru wagons. (I did more testing around recently and rear-seat room is still the ONE big reason I don't go with one of those.)

I didn't want to sound TOO inflammatory and turn this into an anti-SUV flame thread, but I had frequently heard the "soccer mom stigma" argument frequently from SUV owners. Yet, the SUV is becoming (in my opinion, only) the soccer mom vehicle.

A couple things I'm looking forward to, and hoping to see them close up at the Detroit Auto Show are:

1) The Dodge Magnum (5-door wagon/hatchback, but REAR drive and looks like a REAL car)
2) The Ford Freestyle crossover.

I still also argue that my Pontiac Aztek is a vehicle that fits the bill for me because it is a little smaller than a minivan and does a fairly decent job as a "station wagon".

Last of all, I'm now getting spoiled. The spare vehicle, the S10 Blazer I bought from my SIL as a favor to her, does GREAT in the snow. Even though I LOVE traction control on front-wheel-drive vehicles, the 4WD on the Blazer does a much better job of being able to start and drive through various depths of snow. (I still go slow and try not to be over-confident, because I know I can't brake any better with 4WD than 2WD.)

I may end up being an SUV convert yet, unless I can find a "stretched" Volvo V70.

Duck

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30321 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 3:47 PM

Last of all, I'm now getting spoiled. The spare vehicle, the S10 Blazer I bought from my SIL as a favor to her, does GREAT in the snow. Even though I LOVE traction control on front-wheel-drive vehicles, the 4WD on the Blazer does a much better job of being able to start and drive through various depths of snow. (I still go slow and try not to be over-confident, because I know I can't brake any better with 4WD than 2WD.)

I may end up being an SUV convert yet, unless I can find a "stretched" Volvo V70.

Well, that depends on how long you can wait. In the magazine that Subaru sends to its customers, they quoted the head of the company as saying that Subaru was committed to building something bigger than they already produce. If they do so, I am imagining a large wagon with either the turbocharged flat 4 or the flat 6. Even if they call it an SUV, it will really be a wagon (just like the Forrester). With Subie's AWD system and sterling safety record, the thing would be a go anywhere tank.

Author: DuckVersion8 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30324 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 4:00 PM
Well, that depends on how long you can wait. In the magazine that Subaru sends to its customers, they quoted the head of the company as saying that Subaru was committed to building something bigger than they already produce. If they do so, I am imagining a large wagon with either the turbocharged flat 4 or the flat 6.

Not likely in the form of which you hope. There are plans to take he WRX wagon and make it the Saab 9-2, and to take the Chevy TrailBlazer and make the Saab 9-7 with that. If you follow that logic (GM owns Saab and has partial ownership with Subaru and Isuzu), I would expect that GM will clone the TrailBlazer yet again and make a Subaru version of it, as they did with Isuzu and the Ascender SUV.

Duck

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30329 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 4:17 PM
I would expect that GM will clone the TrailBlazer yet again and make a Subaru version of it, as they did with Isuzu and the Ascender SUV.

I rather doubt they would do this. Way out of spec with Subaru's brand and image, and it would either flop or kill the brand. Hopefully even GM's management is not this stupid.

Author: DuckVersion8 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30332 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 4:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
Way out of spec with Subaru's brand and image, and it would either flop or kill the brand. Hopefully even GM's management is not this stupid.

Remember, this is GM we're talking about. GM management has brought us:

1) The Aztek
2) The Cadillac Cimarron
3) Diesel engines made from gas engines.
4) The Chevette (lowest price car in the U.S., but the rear seat was optional!)
5) The "Pump to set" parking brake of the late '80's/early '90's.
6) The Cadillac Catera.
7) Having successful selling G-body performance cars of the late 1980's (Chevy MonteCarlo SS, Buick Grand National Regal and the GNX), then just yanking the entire G-body platform out of production and demolished the factory.
8) Trying to turn Oldsmobile into a BMW/Audi competitor.
9) Yanking the Pontiac Fiero ONLY AFTER the first year that they finally designed a sporty suspension and turned the Fiero into a seriously good-handling car to compete with the Toyota MR2 (all other Fieros until 1989 had the FRONT suspension from the Chevette and a REAR suspension derived from the FRONT suspension of the X-Cars (Chevy Citation)).
10) Excessive dilution of all other cars across GM, including #2 above.

Believe me, GM CAN do stupid things like turn a Chevy truck into a Subaru!

Duck

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30335 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 4:57 PM
Recommendations: 2
I had 2 minivans and was very happy to have them - they were the most appropriate vehicle for our life at the time. I could carry my 3 kids plus friends. They also got better mpg than SUVs and it was easier to pack stuff in them along with using all the seatbelts.

Data points - comparison is Nissan Van and then Quest with Land Rover Discovery.

Anyone else having had both want to chime in ?

rad
why does this remind me of SAHM vs working mothers, public vs. private schools ? oh yeah, because in all the discussions, I'm one of the few who have been both.

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30337 of 71238
Subject: Re: Poll: Why not a minivan? Date: 1/7/2004 4:59 PM

Believe me, GM CAN do stupid things like turn a Chevy truck into a Subaru!

Yeah, I'm just hoping that the current team has an ounce of sense. Besides the trend seems to be toward more vehicle designs, not just a bunch of re-badges. It wouldn't be tough to do a bigger car from Subaru's current parts bin, either. Stretch the Legacy/Outback platform and toss in the flat 6, no biggie. Basically, it is a repeat of what they did with the Forrester: stretch the Impreza platform and toss in the 2.5 liter flat four.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement