Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Ga1Dawg Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55778  
Subject: Poll: winemaking Date: 9/20/2012 10:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Do you make your own wine?
yea
no
what wine?

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54564 of 55778
Subject: Re: Poll: winemaking Date: 9/20/2012 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
No. But I'm experimenting with making my own cheese to go with it.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54565 of 55778
Subject: Re: Poll: winemaking Date: 9/20/2012 10:38 AM
I don't make wine, but find this board interesting, from time to time:
http://boards.fool.com/the-wine-cellar-112935.aspx?mid=29849...

It tends to get pretty low traffic, but I think a few knowledgeable participants keep an eye on new posts to the board that may show up on their TMF Favorite boards page.

Bob

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54566 of 55778
Subject: Re: Poll: winemaking Date: 9/20/2012 10:47 AM
No. But I'm experimenting with making my own cheese to go with it.

I'm one of the 2 (so far) teetotalers in the poll, but I once considered making my own cheese, do you have a procedure you're able to share? As I recall you need 'rennet'.

(btw, with a name like 'rosewine' I would've thought you would've been on board with the wine-making...)

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54567 of 55778
Subject: Re: Poll: winemaking Date: 9/20/2012 1:09 PM
I picked up a book* at the library on cheese making and tried a recipe for Queso Blanco to start. No rennet, just milk, vinegar and salt for my initial attempt. I'm planning to try Mozarella next, probably next week. If I recall, you are vegetarian and there is vegetarian rennet. There's a shop near my former employer that sells cheesemaking supplies. I have a friend who has made some outstanding aged cheeses and I want to try that but figured I should start with something that is ready to eat right away to see if it's something I want to keep doing.

I don't see any reason to make wine when there are so many excellent local wines available. Of course, with our cellar what it is, if I drank a bottle a day it would take about 10 years to run out.

Rose

*Artisan Cheesemaking at Home by Mary Karlin. Good reading, even if you don't want to make cheese yourself.

Author: Ga1Dawg Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54572 of 55778
Subject: Re: Poll: winemaking Date: 9/20/2012 5:30 PM
I don't see any reason to make wine when there are so many excellent local wines available.
Couldn't one say the same thing about cheese?

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54573 of 55778
Subject: Re: Poll: winemaking Date: 9/21/2012 9:57 AM
wine.woot.com

there are 2 ways to make mozzarella - a "quick" way (under an hour) and one that takes a couple days...

peace & blessed are the cheesemakers
t

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54575 of 55778
Subject: Re: Poll: winemaking Date: 9/24/2012 8:51 AM
“No. But I'm experimenting with making my own cheese to go with it. “

I'm one of the 2 (so far) teetotalers in the poll, but I once considered making my own cheese, do you have a procedure you're able to share? As I recall you need 'rennet'.

See; http://www.leeners.com/cheese/store/ , http://www.leeners.com/cheese/index.shtml, http://www.thecheesemaker.com/?gclid=CKjMr4CgzrICFQP0nAodZX8..., http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese_course/ch..., and http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese_5_gallons...,

C.J.V. never tried it myself, me

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54576 of 55778
Subject: Re: Poll: winemaking Date: 9/24/2012 9:06 AM
For paneer (essentially ricotta) all you need is milk and an acid (I use lemon juice, but you can use vinegar). I make it from time to time. Other kinds of cheese require more specialized ingredients.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement