UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yodaorange Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461028  
Subject: Re: Boring Reasons Why Disability Claims Are Up Date: 4/2/2013 1:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 18
Polymer Mom, I read the Washington Post link you sent, then read parts of the original work published by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. Rather than comment on the report, I think it is best to rely on the first hand account by a fellow METARite, Medical Doctor OffshoreDriller. Maybe OSD picked a poor sample of candidates, but this is what he said in a METAR post back in 2011 [1]:

Two weeks ago, I spent a day doing disability medical examinations for our state.

of the 8 people I examined, I deemed only one to be have true disability. 2 others had soft claims, and probably could have done light duty work. the other 5 were a total fraud. It was readily obvious they were just trying to ride the disability gravy train. These people just walked in nonchalantly, and didn't even really try to lie very much. For example, one of them said they couldn't stand very long, but could sit for 8 hours at a time. Perfect! Get that person a desk and they can be an office clerk. By their own admission, they were able to sit without pain for 8 hours.

Let's just say my medical documentation will make it a little bit harder for them to get those checks.

-OSD

OSD reports that 5 out of 8 claimants were "a total fraud." OSD is a licensed, practicing Medical Doctor in the US.

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities report states:[2]

Severe impairment. Applicants must show that they suffer from a “severe, medically determinable physical or mental impairment that is expected to last 12 months or result in death.” Acceptable medical sources are licensed physicians or (for certain conditions) licensed psychologists, optometrists, speech/language pathologists, or podiatrists.

From a statistics standpoint, I am unwilling to accept that OSD happened to examine the only 5 people on SSDI that are fraudulent in the whole US. The odds of that are about the same as Yoda finishing higher at the Masters than Tiger Woods. I would say it is greater than 1 million to one.

There seems to be a disconnect here between OSD's medical opinions and how SSDI is supposed to work. Maybe the author of the report can explain to OSD why is his medical opinion is incorrect in these cases.

If anyone else would like to explain to OSD why his medical opinions are incorrect, please do so. I will not be joining in.

Thanks,

Yodaorange

[1] OffshoreDriller METAR post on SS Disability
http://boards.fool.com/ive-met-a-handful-of-persons-on-disab...

[2] Testimony of Kathy A. Ruffing Senior Fellow, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Before the Subcommittee on Social Security Committee on Ways and Means U.S. House of Representatives

http://www.cbpp.org/files/3-20-13ss-test.pdf
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement