UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: skorthos Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 459258  
Subject: Re: Budget exercise: Broke on $50K/yr. Date: 3/3/2013 8:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
PolymerMom: When kids hit their growth spurt it seemed like it was impossible to keep them in clothes that fit.

When I hit MY first growth spurt, it seemed to be all in my feet. They shot out to size 13 (where they stopped) while I stayed three feet tall (well...maybe a bit more, but it seemed like my feet were almost as tall as I was).

My poor father kept buying new shoes until he figured that he would buy them BIG and let me grow into them. The problem was, when they hit size 13 he did not know to stop, so for a couple of cycles he insisted on size 15 flippers for me - just in case.

I went from looking like Ronald McDonald with these huge clod hoppers to looking like an elf with toes that curled up toward my face. I can clearly remember looking down at my feet in the shoe store with the certainty that the extra inch of shoe was going to curl.

My body finally caught up with my feet, but it was a difficult few years for us all as my father tried to stay within his clothes budget and keep me in shoes. And each of his two boys needed at least two pairs, usually three pairs: sneakers for gym and sports, everyday shoes for school and walking around, and dress shoes for steppin' out. Six pairs of shoes for two boys. I suspect it would be more for girls.

skorthos
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement