UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744307  
Subject: Re: Friggin frfignrfg GAH! Date: 8/20/2013 11:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
poor colovion......ugh! it would drive me crazy dealing with them but you learn quick to CYA by making master copies of everything and tucking it a way in a file for easy retrieval and proof. :)

There's only one problem with that: FOIA. We don't want copies of everything because A. by law there are retention schedules for everything so the more we create the more we have to destroy (and track to destroy) plus B. If we get a FOIA for something we shouldn't have but do have then we're hosed. I don't keep ANY copies of anything that is part of a police report on my hard drive for this very reason. So, instead, I had to turn a couple hundred pages of documents into PDF files and put them on a CD. Less than 20 MB on a CD that can hold 700 MB, and I had to make two additional copies of it. We don't handle a ton of cases but we're up to 2400 or so for the year. If you start having to do this kind of thing as a matter of course it quickly can consume vast quantities of time better spent elsewhere.

For instance I have building managers hopping mad at me already because they still have abandoned bikes in their racks that I haven't even TAGGED yet. I was planning on getting to two such buildings today after the crime meeting and driving a blood kit to Lansing. But then this popped up, so I couldn't do that. My boss is off the rest of the week, I'm stuck in the office now covering for him. Next Monday I'll spend all day getting stuff ready for the Crime Meeting on Tuesday. It just so happens that I've been subpoenaed for a case because I drove that blood kit to Lansing and I'm in the chain if custody... I may have to testify Tuesday (so I'll be in a suit, not bike tagging in a suit even if I don't testify!). Thus at best I'll be able to tag those bikes a week from tomorrow, not today, because someone else screwed up.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement