UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: foolishjk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 88986  
Subject: Popup Horror!!! Date: 6/29/2001 3:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Alright, I guess I spoke too soon during the discussion of popunders the other day. This afternoon, I started getting POPUPS, that is, in front of my TMF window.

Make it stop. Immediately. This is horrible. Even if they were offering free money, I wouldn't take it because the delivery method of these ads is SOOOOO intrusive.

Here's some info on what happens:

On any page where the ad for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer appears,

a new browser window opens for http://adserver.ads.360.com/bin/creative.cgi?publisher=foolio&cid=393

and usually redirects to

http://www.consumerinfo.com/home_pca.asp?sc=14360053

"Free Credit Reports!!!!!"

sometimes the redirect doesn't happen and I'm left with a popped up browser window containing the ads.360.com logo.

There's an empty box below the Merc ad on the main Fool message page, that sometimes contains the ads.360.com logo.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

Foolishjk
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JPLenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16441 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 6/29/2001 3:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
There's an empty box below the Merc ad on the main Fool message page, that sometimes contains the ads.360.com logo.

Got the same thing here as well....very annoying

Lenny

Author: rosebear Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16445 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 6/29/2001 5:24 PM
Recommendations: 10
Here's some info on what happens:

On any page where the ad for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer appears,

a new browser window opens for http://adserver.ads.360.com/bin/creative.cgi?publisher=foolio&cid=393

and usually redirects to

http://www.consumerinfo.com/home_pca.asp?sc=14360053

"Free Credit Reports!!!!!"

I am reading your post and that Merc ad is on the page and I don't get a new window. Nor, do I see Free Credit Reports.

Author: foolishjk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16446 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 6/29/2001 5:40 PM
Recommendations: 0
It was happening for several hours this afternoon. Now, it's stopped.

Thank you, Fools.

Author: jiml8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16449 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 6/29/2001 11:07 PM
Visit www.analogx.com and download Pow!

Pow! kills popups. Stone cold dead.

www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pow.htm

Author: hangtown Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16460 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 6/30/2001 2:55 PM
Recommendations: 2
Foolishjk:

This is horrible. Even if they were offering free money, I wouldn't take it because the delivery method of these ads is SOOOOO intrusive.

I agree. I would never buy anything from some company I saw on a pop-up ad. I can't imagine how pissing me off is the way to make a customer out of me. It's like telemarketing... bothering me in my own time and refusing to take no for an answer makes me want to give you money HOW??

Again, I want to see TMF succeed and make money. But I associate pop-up ads with sleaze, not success.

Regards,

Scott

Author: pteron Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16692 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 7/5/2001 2:22 PM
Recommendations: 5
I have to agree with the previous posters - popups and popunders are odious.

Andy

Author: Conehead Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16698 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 7/5/2001 3:47 PM
Recommendations: 13
I agree completely. The size and frequency of the pop-ups making the main Fool site completely unusable. And the code which is popping them up is fairly well hidden. Making it hard for me to disable the pop-ups in my browser (Konqueror) without completely turning off JavaScript.

I understand that the web ad market is tough these days. I understand that the Fool has some financial troubles and needs to increase its revenue. But by making these advertisements so intrusive that I can't use the site effectively, you aren't increasing your revenue. You are alienating your customer.

I've used the Fool for a long time now (starting in 1996). I owe much of the success of my financial portfolio to the Fool. I probably would pay for any reasonable ad-free "premium" service offered by the Fool. (A business model being tested by many other content sites on the web.) But these pop-ups are too much.

Is everyone else as disappointed as I am? It makes the Fool look like a shady third-tier player on the edge of bankruptcy. It is forcing me to leave a community that I value.

Conehead

Author: foolishjk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16700 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 7/5/2001 3:55 PM
Fortunately, they seem to have cured the original problem I posted about - popups on top of message boards.

However, I did notice that I was getting the same popup this past weekend on some articles. Argh.

Foolishjk

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16701 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 7/5/2001 4:14 PM
You know, another site I read regularly started doing the "pop-under" ads recently, and I requested it be stopped with the following logic:

They don't work (people like me who are quick with a CTRL-W kill them before
they even show up), they annoy your readers (to the point where I stop
visiting sites that use them), and they're deceptive to your paying
advertisers (if people aren't quick with the CTRL-W, the pages load, giving
you credit for displaying the ad, but because they're put as the lowest
window, many people may not actually even see the ad).

I'd suggest that if you're gonna change your ad-style, look at how C-Net is doing their inline ads.

Now, I find the C-Net ads a little intrusive, but not nearly as bad.

The funny thing is, today is the first time I've seen a pop-under ad on the Fool. Usually, I stick to My Fool and the message boards. But, today I was doing a search and got the pop-under ads. I wonder if they're trying them only in certain spots as a test.

dsbrady

Author: foolishjk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16702 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 7/5/2001 4:23 PM
Hi dsbrady!

I loved your reasoning on why popups/unders are a poor advertising buy. You expressed it better than I could.

WRT I wonder if they're trying them only in certain spots as a test.

I don't know. Last week, I was gettin them from several different message boards. I tend to stick to My Fool and the boards, too, but will click on an article when it catches my eye, either in one of the Fool mails or on one of my portal sites.

And the extra windows I'm experiencing, don't pop under. They definitely pop up. I definitely willing to consider that I have a browser issue, but I still think it's an intrusive and insulting advertising technique.

Foolishjk

Author: JPLenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16703 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 7/5/2001 4:23 PM
There is a story about the X-10 ads in the news. Guess we are not the only ones bothered by it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,28826,00.html

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16704 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 7/5/2001 4:28 PM
And the extra windows I'm experiencing, don't pop under. They definitely pop up. I definitely willing to consider that I have a browser issue, but I still think it's an intrusive and insulting advertising technique.

They may be trying different types of pop-** ads, too.

Pop-ups annoy me as well, but at least I don't think they're as deceptive (since you can plainly see they're there). I have stopped visiting a site that used incessant pop-up ads before. I would hate to leave TMF, but if it gets too annoying, then I will.

dsbrady

Author: Conehead Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16716 of 88986
Subject: Re: Popup Horror!!! Date: 7/5/2001 8:16 PM
The funny thing is, today is the first time I've seen a pop-under ad on the Fool. Usually, I stick to My Fool and the message boards. But, today I was doing a search and got the pop-under ads. I wonder if they're trying them only in certain spots as a test.

I get huge pop-ups for consumerinfo.com everytime I hit the Foolwatch page, and most every other time I hit the static Fool site. (Thankfully, the boards have still been safe for me.)

I'm curious about why everyone seems to have different experiences. I get it every single time I load a page. Grrrr.

I'd even forgive the pop-up if it placed a cookie on my machine so that it didn't pop-up every single time. I've started just pushing the pop-up to the back of the window stack and just ignoring it. That way at least it doesn't pop up and steal the focus any more.

Conehead

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement