UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11006  
Subject: Portfolio Tool that handle options? Date: 5/14/2012 5:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Are there any decent portfolio tracking tools that deal well with option positions? I've used most of the free online ones and while they handle stocks well, generally they don't track options at all.

What do you guys use?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Zumba Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10905 of 11006
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tool that handle options? Date: 5/15/2012 1:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
The best thing I've found so far is to use the GainsKeeper tool on TD Ameritrade/Thinkorswim. It's great during tax time, but isn't so good for live tracking of an options portfolio. For that, I use the monitor tab on the thinkorswim platform.

Paul

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10906 of 11006
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tool that handle options? Date: 5/16/2012 12:23 AM
Does it let you track stocks you've purchased elsewhere? I have an Ameritrade account.

Author: Zumba Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10907 of 11006
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tool that handle options? Date: 5/16/2012 7:12 PM
No, only the trades in your TDA account. In order to track multiple accounts you'd need soething like Quicken.

Author: exsanguinator One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10908 of 11006
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tool that handle options? Date: 5/16/2012 10:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
Yahoo Finance.

Look up the option, click on the "Add to Portfolio" button on the right.

Example: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SPY120616C00133000

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10909 of 11006
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tool that handle options? Date: 5/17/2012 8:15 AM
Oh excellent, that is more or less exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone who owns Quicken have any comments about it's ability to track stocks/ options versus the free online resources? I don't mind buying software, but last time I used Quicken from what I recall it wasn't much better than what Yahoo Finance has.

Author: giannelli5 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10910 of 11006
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tool that handle options? Date: 5/17/2012 12:28 PM
Hi "ex",

I've been using Yahoo! Finance to track my portfolios for the past year and had always bemoaned the inability to include options. Thanks for pointing this out!

Grant

Author: RShewmake Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10927 of 11006
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tool that handle options? Date: 8/26/2012 6:57 PM
I manually update all of my option positions in Quicken and only let it update my stock position automatically.

It will update option positions automatically "if" you let Quicken have access/update from your trading account. I did not like the possible security problems that could possibly occur from that, nor did I like the "value" it assigned to a position.

I don't remember if automatically letting Quicken update the position gave me a last price (which could be several days old) or an average of the bid/ask position (not as bad, but not accurate in my opinion).

Manually, if I am long a position, I enter the bid price (and the high, low and volume for the day); and if I am short, I enter the asking price (and the high, low and volume). In my opinion, these are the TRUE prices for my options, as they represent the current price that I can exit the positions I am holding.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement