UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: OlopOcram Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3687  
Subject: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 11/24/2008 5:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I've been a long time Quicken user but with the introduction of Options trades I have come to realize that Quicken is simply not setup to track more advanced portfolios. It's great for balancing my checkbook, but I think I need a dedicated investment portfolio tracking software.

So my question is: What are people using to ACCURATELY track their investments - stocks, ETF, funds, bonds, short sells, Options, etc? Something that will compare to the major indexes. Something that will generate a capital gains report for tax time, something that shows accurate annualized return, etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Mark
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RayTekos Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3577 of 3687
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 1/5/2009 8:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have the same need and question as you, especially since switching to Mac's. (Intuit and Microsoft's Mac versions are terrible and the i the leading competitors to Money & Quicken seem to either track stocks poorly or can't import the data from quicken easily, if at all.
Second option - does anyone out there have a spreadsheet solution as a template? We will gladly pay for it with 100 shares of sirius!!

Author: nrlbuild Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3582 of 3687
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 3/4/2009 10:11 PM
I too have been looking for something for a long time but never found anything. I currently use MSMoney, but it does not work for everything.
It blows my mind that someone has not made something that will work.
How frustrating.

Author: melbatoast12 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3591 of 3687
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 8/22/2009 7:35 AM
Hello: I just ran across your post whilst searching for the same thing. Another user recommended the Premium version of Quicken for tracking options, but he hasn't actually used it (nor have I). Do you mind telling me if this is the version of Quicken that hasn't been adequate for you? There must be something out there that does this. I can't believe that everyone is doing this by hand!

Author: OlopOcram Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3592 of 3687
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 8/22/2009 2:32 PM
I have Quicken 2009 Premium and it does not improve the situation. It's great for stocks and basic needs, but tracking of options requires a great deal of "tweaking" - setting Puts as short sales, etc. It's workable, but was hoping someone would have someone better. Maybe Options Express or other pure plays have better tracking tools.

Quicken's product has been going downhill since 2005 so I am not optimistic for an improvement relative to investment tracking. Maybe Microsoft will come through?

Time will tell.

Marc

Author: murpml Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3593 of 3687
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 8/29/2009 1:19 PM
Don't count on it. I was out searching for something to track my investments today and came across this from the MS Money site:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Important notice: Microsoft Money Plus is no longer available for purchase. All purchased Money Plus products must be activated prior to Jan. 31, 2011.

With banks, brokerage firms and Web sites now providing a range of options for managing personal finances, the consumer need for Microsoft Money Plus has changed. After suspending annual updates of Money Plus in 2008, Microsoft ended sales of Money Plus on June 30, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Gemvestor Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3599 of 3687
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 11/18/2009 3:42 PM
Check out Personal Stock Monitor over at http://www.personalstockmonitor.com. It includes a complete portfolio manager with a transaction register, capital gains report and has some support for options.

It also supports importing and exporting QIF files.

Author: murpml Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3601 of 3687
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 11/18/2009 10:06 PM
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, no Mac support. Bummer.

Author: sdavis81 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3604 of 3687
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 1/4/2010 10:14 AM
curious that this thread has occurred over a year!

I continue to have the same need. A tracking system to monitor stocks and options. A way to calculate CAGR for positions and for portfolio, and perhaps to preemptively evaluate trades before I make them (for expected CAGR, options specifically)

I have proven to myself that I can't do this with spreadsheet, I don't have enough time to learn that I don't think

Just posting here again to see if anyone has found, or uses, a product that would work. In meantime I will check out the one above.

Thanks

Author: CalhanMan Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3657 of 3687
Subject: Re: Portfolio Tracking - Better than Quicken Date: 9/17/2012 11:31 PM
> Check out Personal Stock Monitor ...

September, 2012 update to this post:

According to DT Link Software, the owner of Personal Stock Monitor (PSM), the program will cease to be supported as of January 1, 2013. They are currently looking for a qualified buyer to purchase the product but have not had any success.

This has been an awesome program and it will be missed dearly.

What are YOU using to track/monitor your investments - on your computer, not online?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement