Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brendan65 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57414  
Subject: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 10:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Kick the Butts Day is about to start here in Japan. Rebecca and Jack have posted some great advice. I will add a couple of points.

First- Treat all thoughts about smoking like those pesty telemarketing calls you get trying to get you to buy something you don't want. Just like those calls- cut them off and say 'no thankyou'. Remember to be honest to yourself. When you want to smoke remind yourself that you really want to do is inhale stinking, cancer inducing, poisonous smoke that is killing you. Label the addiction for what it is. Call your cigarettes 'deathsticks'. When the urge comes on ask yourself, 'do I want a heartattack?' or 'do I want lung cancer?'. Because this is in fact the choice we are making when we chose to smoke.

Secondly- Make a promise that before you give in to the smoking urge you spend 15 minutes reading some Quitting Smoking posts here. I bet you that after reading a couple you will find your resolve to quit restored quickly. It really helps to write posts during the first three days. Spend time exploring how you feel and writing about it in a post.
On Kick Butt Day you are not quitting alone. Think of this exercise as a group event. You are a valuable member of our Quit Smoking Team. We are here for you and you are here for us. Check in and post some 'Hang in there' or 'It's tough but I'm doing fine' kind of posts for your quit buddies. It goes without saying that we are all rooting for you on YOUR day.

Thirdly- If you have Faith then use it. With the fight against smoking you need all the guns you can muster. I find myself saying a little prayer for strength every time I walk past a cigarette machine or see someone smoking.

Wish you all the best of Kicking Butts on your big Kick Butts day!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42470 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 1:38 PM
Recommendations: 3
I'll be posting ALOT tomorrow,guaranteed!! Tonight, I look for the Patch box that is stored away in my dresser, wash down all the ashtrays and put them away (spray themwith Fabreze first) Vacumn out my car and empty ashtray in there.

Arm myself with the patch, gums, straws, anything I can find to keep me from smoking....

Am also learning crocheting, so will be crocheting a lot!

Oh, and petting/brushing my cats to keep my hands busy!!

What's everyone else that is trying to quit planning on doing? I'm interested in hearing everyone's Game plan for tomorrow!!
Thanks!!

Author: downisland Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42471 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 1:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm cutting up fruit(fruit salad) and vegetables(carrots and celery) to make it easy not to eat the wrong things tomorrow,(when I'm sure I'll be busy stuffing my mouth with everything in sight). Im getting out my winter walking clothes, actually with this snow it's more like winter trudging clothes, and basically planning on staying busy tomorrow; drinking lots of water, walking, and/or napping if necessary. Lots of positive affirmations. ie: You can do it, I believe in you, etc. Here's to tomorrow, DAY ONE!! Smoke Free!

Author: brendan65 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42472 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 2:07 PM
I wish I could quit all over again with Allison and Ellen.

Author: downisland Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42473 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 2:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
Just knowing you are there means a LOT!

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42474 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 2:48 PM

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Ditto what Ellen Said......I am glad that others will be suffering along with me.....Fellow quiters, feel free to email me for moral support at anytime tomorrow or anytime this weekend....
Allison

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42475 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 2:48 PM
Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42476 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 3:00 PM
Tomorrow should be "KICK BUTTS DAY" . I'm hoping to ride my bike into the mountains above my house and try a ride along a new track which was cut through this area.

There is going to be a light pack in the bike and there won't be any smokes on this ride. It's only allowed for Kick Butts Day drivers. This helps make sure I don't start smoking again.

Blackduff

Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42477 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 4:32 PM
Good luck, best wishes, prayers, I'll even try to stand on my head if it will help anyone. (Just choking from LOL at the thought of me trying to standing on my head should keep some of you from lighting up.)

Talk to yourself in your head or out loud Drink lots of water or green tea. (I don't know why, but coffee didn't help and tea does for me.)

Watch for those "bad" times of the day. For me it was first thing in the morning and again about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. (Still is sometimes.)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I have a friend in her mid 60's who gave up last year and is hanging in there still. She wanted to give up when she retired. She was a two pack a day person. I think she even looks younger since giving up.

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42480 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 6:42 PM
Recommendations: 7
Just to be helpful I have to decided to fire up my 300 gallon FMC Bean 20 gal./minute sprayer with the gun that looks sorta like an assault rifle and provide support for would be cheaters tomorrow by recruiting them as stars in my Quitting Smoking "Snuff Video"! Now you smokers should know that you can run but you can't hide because I have been working out hard while not smoking and with my 300' hose I will catch you! So if you think you want to cheat remember that I may very well be lurking in the shadows!

Now seriously, one thing which I have learned over the last 20 years after successfully undergoing treatment for chemical dependency, years of A.A. and volunteering, and finally quitting smoking 5 years ago is that the single most important thing in quitting besides "Just Do It!" is to have a good support system. The most successful "independent" people are those who learn when and how to effectively dependent on those around them. Quitting smoking we are not just breaking an addiction and changing habits, we must completely change our lifestyle to be successful. It takes time to make the changes which can become tiresome and frustrating, leading to potential relapse. Having people around who truly understand because we've been there, done that can help you weather those times of flagging resolve. That is the expressed purpose of this board and those of us who continue to hang around here years after quitting. We welcome rants & rambles from new quitters because we have done it ourselves. For those who stumble we feel absolutely no condescension for the majority of us did not succeed in quitting in our first try, but through persistence we succeeded. The important thing is that you quit for yourself and then whatever happens it does not matter what anyone else thinks about your effort.
As Jack stated, it does help to have a plan. When I quit, I talked to both my doctor and my wife. I decided to use Wellbutrin, set a date to start the medicine and a firm date to quit smoking (about 10 days later). I chose to quit on a Thursday night because I was not busy for a long weekend. That gave me three days to wallow in self-pity in my withdrawal buzz where I knew that I would have no mental focus. When I went to bed that night I soaked all remaining cigarettes and butts to ensure that if I were to attempt to cheat I would have to leave the house and drive somewhere to buy more. By quitting when I went to bed I woke up with 8 hours of smobriety already. I had a large stash of munchies (gum, candy, nuts, chips etc). I also started writing out a list of reasons for quitting that I continued to add to as I thought of new reasons. The list really helps because it is truly amazing how quickly we can forget even momentous reasons for quitting when we get a smoking urge if it not in writing before our eyes! Then post on this board and lean on us. We will tell you from experience that it will get better and, by George, about the time you are getting frustrated enough to think that tying your ears in a knot would feel good, you will realize that it is getting easier!

Now "Just Do It"!

Elliott

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42485 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 11:21 PM
I am in pain. I'm trying to find a pain killer that wont make me want to smoke. I can't think of any that will actually work and not give me a buzz.

I don't want to screw this day up but if I take that stuff I'll smoke.
I'm not going to lie to you. and the pain is soo bad I can't handle it and I had 3 kids au natural and was reading a book while delivering with one of them.

it's bad.
Maybe it'll be better in the morning.

Thakns for letting me ramble.

Countess

Author: downisland Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42486 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 11:23 PM
Ibuprophen is my favorite pain medication.

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42487 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/24/2005 11:26 PM
yeah I've been popping prescription strength all day and it's not working.

i took a darvoset (sp?) earlier and it helped but after it kicked in I smoked like a chimney......

I'll survive and do it while not smoking, I just wanted to whine a little I guess

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42494 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/25/2005 1:21 AM
Countess
I'm trying to find a pain killer that wont make me want to smoke

morphine is not what you want. but this sugestion is for real.

put on your sneakers, go to the park and run. when you get really tired, run for ten minutes more. it is allowed to stop and cough and spit, but you have to walk through this. you must continue to move. drink small sips of water.

i used to be a runner. you cannot run and smoke. there is a point of fatigue that nothing hurts. no really. i hear the desperation in your post, and this is a desparate measure. i am gonna do the Bullman St steps tomorow. lots or steps. IFF i survive i will walk around the block and do it again.
jC

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42506 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/25/2005 9:16 AM
I wish I could quit all over again with Allison and Ellen.

Since it's a constant struggle for me, I consider myself to quitting with them.

Let's hang in there, girls. Think: I want an orange, I want a pear, I want a penis, whoa, I mean I want a pickle. Kinda screwed up that image.

Brin
Two months, two weeks, five days, 13 hours, 16 minutes and 45 seconds. 2356 cigarettes not smoked, saving $418.29. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 4 hours, 20 minutes.

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42507 of 57414
Subject: Re: Post a lot on Kick Butts Day Date: 3/25/2005 9:23 AM
I'll even try to stand on my head if it will help anyone. (Just choking from LOL at the thought of me trying to standing on my head should keep some of you from lighting up.)

I did it, I did it. I stood on my head! 50 (actually 49 but who is going to believe me) and I've still got the move. A little wobbly at first and it was killing my head, but I made it. I'm also winded - not good.

Audaciously (willing to take a risk; Bold)

Brin

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement